Aggressive driving ...

Just interested to find out what everyone here thinks about the concept of "aggressive" driving ... no doubt, being car enthusiasts and people that like to drive a bit quicker perhaps than most, a lot of you would have been accused of "aggressive" driving at times.

The accusations have fallen my way because I'm sometimes in a mood to get through traffic by moving lane to lane, picking gaps as I go. I know technically its not legal, but I figure what the hey? In fact, most of my car choices in the past (Festiva's, Starlet's), being cars short on stature, have been with that very need in mind. Its only recently that I've gotten used to the extra length of our wagon to start driving peak hour the Buddha way.

I've also been told my liking for a quick getaway from lights is also in the aggressive category.

I fail to see how my driving is aggressive, assertive might be a better word. To me, aggressive = angry, but I don't drive that way because I'm angry, I just want to get from A to B ASAP. I'm not angry at anyone, there's nothing personal intended, although I know some idiots do take it that way.

We're not even talking about speeding here ... with Brisbane's peak hour, if you do get to see 60 for any length of time, you're doing well ... I can only imagine what peak hour is like in more populated places like Sydney and Melbourne!

What do you think?

I agree with you totally. I'm like that tooz.

Not aggressive but u know sorta in n out cause sometimes pplz are so......SLOW and on the RIGHT LANE!! :angry:

It's not agressive but sometimes you wanna give your ride a bit of a kick with a bit of harmless fun.

I drive an 05 Tivo....

i wanted a car with a bit of go.... so that i could give it some go, i could've just got meself a smaller cheaper car but that's not what i was in the market for.

Why do pplz spend so much money on porsches, SLKs, Rx8s and do 60 on a 80km roads and on the RIGHT LANE!!! <_< :angry:

Lolz, see my frustration.....

definition according to google

"having or showing determination and energetic pursuit of your ends"

i would agree that the way you have described is pretty much what "aggressive driving" is. i would know as i drive that way too

Not aggressive but u know sorta in n out cause sometimes pplz are so......SLOW and on the RIGHT LANE!! :angry:

It's not agressive but sometimes you wanna give your ride a bit of a kick with a bit of harmless fun.

I drive an 05 Tivo....

i wanted a car with a bit of go.... so that i could give it some go, i could've just got meself a smaller cheaper car but that's not what i was in the market for.

Why do pplz spend so much money on porsches, SLKs, Rx8s and do 60 on a 80km roads and on the RIGHT LANE!!! <_< :angry:

YES lol I do. Don't worry, if it's an RX8 we can easily just lift past their a55es in the left hand lane. I hear those RX8's have even more torque lag than the 2zz's and they aren't that quick at all. RX7 series 5 or 6 tho? Uh oh...lol.

The thing that really pi55es me off is the fact that I downshift into 3rd on the parkway, lift past them in the left lane and they (some) just throw their hands up in the air and have a big spew. Hey...I'm not the one being an idiot lol.

How simple is it though man? Right = faaaassssst. Left = sloooooooooow. Oh man, some people worry me. ALOT.

I drive an 05 Tivo....

I agree with that!!!

and nothing gets on my nerves more than two cars in both lanes doing the same speed slowing down traffic! and then the gap is just big enough i do a quick downshift and floor it past to get the hell out of there!

Sometimes being aggressive is being safer, funny how it sounds... but it's true.

I think you have a good point there ... I've been involved in 4 accidents, 1 of which was my fault, but all occurred when I was driving in a non-aggressive manner.

I take Iniff's Google definition above, but I also checked www.dictionary.com and amongst stuff very similar to Google, they also had:

"Inclined to behave in an actively hostile fashion"

and its this definition I believe that people are meaning when they use the word, and the way I've viewed the word.

Anyhoo, the main thing is that I'm not alone. Now to form the Buddha Foundation for Unfairly Picked-on Drivers ... :)

Chopin & Changin lanes doesn't work out very well in Sydney as was proved to me yesterday. I left my house yesterday to go to a mates place, it was 3.00 in the afternoon so you would think that there would be less cars on the road than normal. After turning out of my street a guy went past me in a late model Prelude. For 15km's this guy was dodging & weaving trying to get through the traffic & I just stayed in my lane & stuck to the speed limit & I caught up to him with every red light of which I bet this driver didn't even realise. The only thing this guy acheived was to ***** all the people that he cut in front in his arrogant attempt to get somewhere & I bet if anyone said anything to him he would be out the window spitting out all kinds of abuse.

I think its best to save your fast driving for the middle of the night as it doesn't get you anywhere during the daytime in Sydney anyway, the traffic is just to damn heavy. Besides, the only person that ends up with ****s when you try & battle traffic is yourself.

Chopin & Changin lanes doesn't work out very well in Sydney as was proved to me yesterday. I left my house yesterday to go to a mates place, it was 3.00 in the afternoon so you would think that there would be less cars on the road than normal. After turning out of my street a guy went past me in a late model Prelude. For 15km's this guy was dodging & weaving trying to get through the traffic & I just stayed in my lane & stuck to the speed limit & I caught up to him with every red light of which I bet this driver didn't even realise. The only thing this guy acheived was to ***** all the people that he cut in front in his arrogant attempt to get somewhere & I bet if anyone said anything to him he would be out the window spitting out all kinds of abuse.

I think its best to save your fast driving for the middle of the night as it doesn't get you anywhere during the daytime in Sydney anyway, the traffic is just to damn heavy. Besides, the only person that ends up with ****s when you try & battle traffic is yourself.

Iv noticed this often!! especially with the timing of the traffic lights in traffic you have no chance!

Iv noticed this often!! especially with the timing of the traffic lights in traffic you have no chance!

Very true in many cases...i agree.... it gets u no where weavin in n out of traffic during traffic times...

I"m more so talkin bout outside those peak times...lolz

thus said...i'm surprised how many pplz are eager to get home in the arvo and drive in n out...where as in the mornings...pplz seem to just cruise... :huh::huh:

i must say im like that when its home time and i do manage to get around alot of traffic in my "agressive" driving style during those times.

Yeah mornings are slow cos ppl dont wanna get to work!

Very true in many cases...i agree.... it gets u no where weavin in n out of traffic during traffic times...

I"m more so talkin bout outside those peak times...lolz

thus said...i'm surprised how many pplz are eager to get home in the arvo and drive in n out...where as in the mornings...pplz seem to just cruise... :huh::huh:

The situation I described happened on a Sunday Afternoon, where I live it seems to be peak hour all the time, there's no escape. Sydney traffic sucks.

I'm definately one of those people thats crusies to work & then rushes home all though I do find that I'm more relaxed when I get home if I just take it easy.

I've only needed to use to once, when my mate was being harrassed by too bogan guys lol. Never in a road rage incident. I handle road rage differently, like, if a guy winds his window down and calls me a sh!thead for doing something then I'd just look back at him and say, 'You got a mishaped head' and wind my window back up. I aint really the violent type, more 'smartar5e passive'.

YOU DA MAN B)

I HATE people who chop/change .. ***** me off to no end because as you said .. they dont end up getting to their destination any quicker.

Don't achieve much by chop/change at night either as there are more cops on the road so you keep quite close to the speed limit and AGAIN, you don't get home that much quicker.

LOL @ ROB!!

well today i let some guy in infront of me who was right behind me for a while and he didnt even say thanks!