Fitted New Apexi Power intake Filter to CAI

Hi guys,

FInally decided on a filter to replace the crappy one that came with my OTTO'R CAI. I decided to go with the dual funnel apexi Universal Power Intake form Japan.

index_PowerIntakeFilterBIG.jpg

First thing i noticed was that the filter is smaller then the TRD one. BUt the funnel design is unique to the apexi filter and they say it increases the airflow by the way in which the air comes in.

I also noticed the noise is alot deeper and spred out though the whole rev range. Where the TRD i had on before seemed to be all noise up high. I've also been told the less noise the better, as it means its less restrictive. :P

Here are some pics from below the car.

imgp1256ug7.jpg

imgp1257qq4.jpg

So as a quick review from just driving the car for 30k's since instaling it, i feel a definante increase in power up top compared to the TRD filter and also the car revs a tad faster now.

ANyone whos thinking of getting one the fitler with the steel 70mm flange is around $130 including shipping from japan from http://www.greenline.jp/. Took 3 days to get to my door. Good service if you ask me.

ANyway thats my little review for now.

Bill

i used the apexi power intake in a short ram before i upgraded to the CAI

i've got an ITG pod tho and found that i get more power from the CAI, however if i used the apexi pod instead i could have gotten different results :)

one of the best filters!!

and u dont have to clean it often too!! lol

check this out

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/index.html

they tested the 4 top filters. ill let u be the judge.

apexi power looks sexy!! u guna dyno to see the gains?

Wow great stuff there!

Bill looks like u got a winner!

So as a quick review from just driving the car for 30k's since instaling it, i feel a definante increase in power up top compared to the TRD filter and also the car revs a tad faster now.

Flat 15's on the horizon ;) ;) ;) :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Is it that noisy you reckon?? I have no experience with other filters whatsoever.

But i just installed my CAI (from shift performance) and Apexi intake yesterday, took me almost forever to put it on (2hours) and finally gave up and remove part of the bumper off to get rid of the stupid resonator. Hooked everything up, broke off one of the heads of the screws that is suppose to be holding the MAF sensor. Haven't fixed that yet. Switched the car on, after resetting the ECU..............It was noisy.............it sounded sick (ill)....sucking like crazy!!

Minimal gains i think, the car seems to be able to accelerate better after 60km/h though. But for normal driving, doesn't do much. Also does anyone notice a weird metallic sound (almost like rattling) around 3-3.5K...after 3.5K it seems to become more smooth........but around the 3.5K mark it sounds a bit wrong.

Cheers

P.S. i wonder if i can run a high 16 in the auto or not.

HAHA yeh i wish. I doubt it will do anything on the track. Its more peice of mind that i have a good filter on there now and it sounds and feels great!! it takes more then 1 or 2 kw's to make a difference on the strip.

Hey bill do you know if this will fit my car?? I hope so !! :P :P

THIS!!

Is it that noisy you reckon?? I have no experience with other filters whatsoever.

But i just installed my CAI (from shift performance) and Apexi intake yesterday, took me almost forever to put it on (2hours) and finally gave up and remove part of the bumper off to get rid of the stupid resonator. Hooked everything up, broke off one of the heads of the screws that is suppose to be holding the MAF sensor. Haven't fixed that yet. Switched the car on, after resetting the ECU..............It was noisy.............it sounded sick (ill)....sucking like crazy!!

Minimal gains i think, the car seems to be able to accelerate better after 60km/h though. But for normal driving, doesn't do much. Also does anyone notice a weird metallic sound (almost like rattling) around 3-3.5K...after 3.5K it seems to become more smooth........but around the 3.5K mark it sounds a bit wrong.

Cheers

Nar the TRD pod was the loudest!! But ive been told when it comes to Filters, Louder means more restrictive. So just goes to show. THe sound is definently deeper with the apexi. Makes the exhaust sound louder though?? I THink??

Edited by SyxXPaC

HAHA yeh i wish. I doubt it will do anything on the track. Its more peice of mind that i have a good filter on there now and it sounds and feels great!! it takes more then 1 or 2 kw's to make a difference on the strip.

THIS!!

Cheers

Nar the TRD pod was the loudest!! But ive been told when it comes to Filters, Louder means more restrictive. So just goes to show. THe sound is definently deeper with the apexi. Makes the exhaust sound louder though?? I THink??

Bill that should fit your car!

THIS!!

Cheers

Hey Bill, if you want my advice (not that i am known for honesty :P :P ) I really wouldnt spend the money on a PFC unless you are going to get serious with the 1zz (as in go F/I down the track). They are costly to buy and tune and although they really do benefit the N/A 1zz, they are not worth it for the money, ECU's are groundwork more so than "bolt-on" performance mods.

Also, although that model says its a match, it isnt what you are after unless you want to deal with alot of crap, PM me if you want more details :)

PS. That apexi filter does look nice...

Edited by Mintos

Also does anyone notice a weird metallic sound (almost like rattling) around 3-3.5K...after 3.5K it seems to become more smooth........but around the 3.5K mark it sounds a bit wrong.

dude i have a weird noise since i've installed my CAI also!

it doesnt appear from start-up , only after the car is warm

And in my case i would describe it as a ticking noise rather then rattling. It's not audible form outside the car and the speed of the ticking increases if u rev slightly..

any similarities??

Also does anyone notice a weird metallic sound (almost like rattling) around 3-3.5K...after 3.5K it seems to become more smooth........but around the 3.5K mark it sounds a bit wrong.

And in my case i would describe it as a ticking noise rather then rattling. It's not audible form outside the car and the speed of the ticking increases if u rev slightly..

any similarities??

does it sound like its choking?

block off your vacum hose, then ull have this nice humming sound.. very loud also :)

any similarities??

does it sound like its choking?

block off your vacum hose, then ull have this nice humming sound.. very loud also :)

Nah it's not the vac hose.. thats securely blocked off

not a humming.. def a ticking.. or rattling like suggested above..

(sorry for the hijack!)

Uh....

Basically i removed my oem filter box + accessories (Resonator, ducting, etc).........I didn't block any tubes whatsoever, but i have a 1zzfe. All i did was unclip i think maybe it was a temperature sensor attached to the outside of the airbox and the MAF sensor. Is this ok?? I think only the 2zz-ge require capping of certain hoses.

Cheers

P.S. I hope i didn't do anything wrong... :(. After driving with the CAI for about 3 days the car does seem to rev faster...doesn't feel like its struggling (that much) anymore.

VSV Valve :)

Thank You sir! (a search for VSV Valve has answered this..) so normal it is (but frigging annoying!)

i guess the stereo will jst have to go up a notch or too