Modified airbox aspiration

3zzfe

Last week I've modified the airbox aspiration of my 1.6L ZZE123 (european). I think that the aspiration is the same always for you!

I've removed the stock plastic tube and installed an alluminium tube with 80mm diameter. In this way the tube's curves and the narrowing of the stock tube are eliminated before arriving to the airbox. Now I've a straight tube and I've always fresh and directed air. :lol:

PS. Sorry for my english not so good :rolleyes:

1- remove the battery, remove the air filter and unscrew the aibox from its lodging, remove the plastic tube.

pict0231bc6.jpg

pict0239sq8.jpg

2- replace the alluminium tube in the same position of the stock but pass it between the head light and fog light. Then extend the tube between the radiator and the bumper, near the front bumper air inlet.

pict0233uq4.jpg

3- Then you have to connect the tube with the airbox inlet (70mm diameter) and fix it. Control that there aren't air excapes when the gas is opened.

pict0234wc7.jpg

pict0235hl9.jpg

4- The inlet of the tube does not have too much to be low, in order to avoid to collect water

Now fix the tube to the pierced spar in order to not have vibrations.

pict0237yv7.jpg

Well you have a new, 80mm large, direct aspiration. If you try to put the hand in front of the tube you will feel a greater air shooting than the original one!! :lol:

You will have always a fresh air, without penalisations narrowing, and the engine will

and what was the result of this?

did u feel any difference in acceleration?

yes the acceleration is more fluid and the engine response is better.

Pratically you have a dinamic aspiration and always with a fresh air, instead of the cai that give you warm air when you are in the traffic (for example B) )

I'm just after some phat intake noise or "rorty induction suck" as HPi magazine once put it...

I imagine taking that snorkel off would increase intake noise more than power... How do they sound boys??

I'm going to try 1ZZ-FE's idea of an upgraded panel filter with the snorkel removed, no inlet duct at first, but then I may experiment. What's the best type of material for this? So far I've seen that manupulatable plastic tubing, what looks like household-use central heating ducting and a hell of a lot of tape & zip ties.

To the people who think we're wasting our time, DIY is fun :D

No power from removing the snorkel, but you get some sound. I love that sound over a CAI. But that was on my 1zz-fe, on the 2zzge it does nothing at all, can't hear any difference. Without the snorkel its sounds like a WRX in my opinion, not loud enough for everyone to hear but enough for you.

I'm just after some phat intake noise or "rorty induction suck" as HPi magazine once put it...

I imagine taking that snorkel off would increase intake noise more than power... How do they sound boys??

I'm going to try 1ZZ-FE's idea of an upgraded panel filter with the snorkel removed, no inlet duct at first, but then I may experiment. What's the best type of material for this? So far I've seen that manupulatable plastic tubing, what looks like household-use central heating ducting and a hell of a lot of tape & zip ties.

To the people who think we're wasting our time, DIY is fun :D

Then make yourself a short ram kit :) very noisy

no... never had water suckd up there

You get heaps of dirt and stones, bugs and other **** that makes your filter clog up.

Actually my car made 1.5 more kw this way with the snorkle removed, but the difference is in the driving and comparing one graph to the other, the engine comes on power slightly earlier (So the whole curve on the graph has moved to the left) and the AFR was smoother too.

For a $O cost mod it's well worth it.

Pratically you have a dinamic aspiration and always with a fresh air, instead of the cai that give you warm air when you are in the traffic (for example B) )

So what stops your pipe from sucking hot air in traffic? :blink: Cause isn't it in the same place as a proper CAI :ph34r:

So what stops your pipe from sucking hot air in traffic? :blink: Cause isn't it in the same place as a proper CAI :ph34r:

Italian is his first language, so it's getting lost in translation, I think he's referring to it working better than an SRI not a CAI.

I'm going to try 1ZZ-FE's idea of an upgraded panel filter with the snorkel removed, no inlet duct at first, but then I may experiment. What's the best type of material for this?

well the engine' sound is more powerfull, more fresh air and the engine comes on power slightly earlier.

I have used an alluminium tube with 80mm diameter.

Edited by Just

my aspiration is between the radiator and the front bumper snorkel, therefore in this position there's not hot air :D

And the cai isn't in the same position.

Italian is his first language, so it's getting lost in translation, I think he's referring to it working better than an SRI not a CAI.

:P yes I've some problems to translate technical words :P

Sorry guys :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I finally had a go at something like this this afternoon (removed my airbox snorkel some time ago but no attempt at ducting until now). I only had my phone handy so here are some images.

From Autobarn, $24.99

Same idea as everyone else...

But I've zip tied the end of it down near my front grille (the lower one) in an attempt to have air flowing directly up the tube.

Not much noticable difference, perhaps a bit quieter than it was without the snorkel.

Comments or suggestions?

I had a similar setup on my rolla, but with more intake points (2 smallish tubes leading to the front bumper, 1 tube leading to bottom, and the main intake where the resonator was chopped into a scoop - this is ae101) and it did help the engine alot. Recently went for a reaallyyy short ram intake though...picture throttle body, bit of tubing, pod filter and all the above mentioned intakes still in place, made quite a difference.

Leading a large tube to the front of the bumper is pretty good for cold air, especially on night drives. If you can, round off the edges of the intake at the bumper for a better effect even :) (or even lead two tubes to the bumper!)

Thanks Delvance that multiple intake duct setup sounds mighty appealing. As for a pod filter, this is all in preparation for my Blitz LM SRI which should arrive soon. I will definitely consider shaping the end of the duct to suit the angle of the grille too, that'll be my next task.

Micky just did an experiment where he put his fingers in front of the duct at the front while I revved the engine a little. His response: "It sucks.... literally". You can actually feel the air being sucked up the duct as Just mentioned in his posts above - mission accomplished.

Thanks Delvance that multiple intake duct setup sounds mighty appealing. As for a pod filter, this is all in preparation for my Blitz LM SRI which should arrive soon. I will definitely consider shaping the end of the duct to suit the angle of the grille too, that'll be my next task.

Micky just did an experiment where he put his fingers in front of the duct at the front while I revved the engine a little. His response: "It sucks.... literally". You can actually feel the air being sucked up the duct as Just mentioned in his posts above - mission accomplished.

That can be dangerous tho if u go thru water (and it sucks it up), so make sure if u get heavy rain that u disconnect the duct goin down to near the bottom of the bumper otherwise u may find urself in a lil bit of trouble. If I could b bothered I was goin to (with the help of my cousin who's a plumber) to make up an intake pipe with a screw on bypass pipe which will sit high up in the engine if it rains (so I just unscrew the lid and screw on a pipe wen I hav to if u know what I mean).