Rattle at high revs (6500+) when theres additional weight in the car

I’ve noticed quite a bit of rattling whilst using LIFT - but it only occurs when there’s additional people in the car i.e. when its just myself, there’s no rattling, but as soon as you add another person (say 70kg+) a rattle develops in LIFT and becomes more and more prominent.

I took it in to Toyota for its 50k service and the mechanic said if the car requires it clutch adjustment they will do it, when I got the car back the mechanic said they clutch did not need adjusting.

Does any one know what else could be causing the rattling – possibly something to do with suspension??

I dont think its coming from the engine bay - seems to me like its either coming from gearbox or behind dash area???

Edited by steinny72

What sort of fuel are you using?

The rattling sound could possibly be the engine knocking under load (pinging).

im using 98 octane - usually mobil 8000 / caltex vortex 98

Try using a cable tie around your gear selector cables, this fixed mine.

Tie the cable where they come out of your firewall (Enigne side), (2 silver foil lookin tubes), tie these together with a single tie and you are done, no noise from gear cables :)

hope this helps

i get a rattling noise sometimes but its inside the car from down near the passengers feet somewhere,dont know what it is but it starts when the revs get higher, very annoying on a nearly new car

I got the same thing, I pulled half my dash apart trying to find, but sonds like its coming from the airvents or something around the passenger side. Its really anoying when in lift.

But yeah I dont think its the gear cables if its from the passenger side then.

Edited by VVTLiR

i get a rattling noise sometimes but its inside the car from down near the passengers feet somewhere,dont know what it is but it starts when the revs get higher, very annoying on a nearly new car

I got the same thing, I pulled half my dash apart trying to find, but sonds like its coming from the airvents or something around the passenger side. Its really anoying when in lift.

i tightened that kik panel with the plastic screw where the left foot would be and that seems to stop the noise, but it always come back.I think it gets loose as i drive but not really sure see how you go

i tightened that kik panel with the plastic screw where the left foot would be and that seems to stop the noise, but it always come back.I think it gets loose as i drive but not really sure see how you go

Could also be your 6 cd disc changer, i think that is what mine is, and they gear selector noise will come in 6k plus, but the radio/air vent rattle comes in round 3k roughly. very hard to pinpoint where the noise is because the noise bounces of everything in the car :S

Edited by blak_tivo_roket

If its coming from the engine, then you might be pinging as everyone has mentioned already. Could be unlucky and hit a really ugly batch of fuel...its happened...this is from experience.

One way to test out rattles is to get a 15" sub and run some low tunes through it...you'll be able to pinpoint your rattles in no time... :blink:

Time to get some sound deadening!!

If its coming from the engine, then you might be pinging as everyone has mentioned already. Could be unlucky and hit a really ugly batch of fuel...its happened...this is from experience.

One way to test out rattles is to get a 15" sub and run some low tunes through it...you'll be able to pinpoint your rattles in no time... :blink:

I dont think its coming from the engine bay - seems to me like its either coming from gearbox or behind dash area???

Could you perhaps describe the rattle to us?

High pitched, metallic, muffled etc...

it sounds more like a buzzing, like a piece of metal touching a moving part creating this rattling/ buzzing sounds.

Sorry if that doesn’t help much - its quite hard to describe, im going try get a friend to record the sound when im hitting lift and ill post the sound up here (if i can work out how to do that lol)

Edited by steinny72

oh ok shweet! my error. thought it was coming from the engine