Gear Shifting

Hello,

Just need a quick answer from the sportivo guys. Do you guys find it hard to shift into gear?? I'm not saying that it won't go in, its just that it requires a bit of strength to get it into gear. My gf uses both hands to put it into reverse :blink: . I can land lift going from 1st to 2nd really easily, so its not a gearbox problem.

I just drove my brothers 1999 hiace and the gear shift is like so light and easy, not to mention I couldn't feel the clutch at all LOL.

Also with the TRD short shifter would it require more force to shift or not?? What about changing tranny oil?? Anything to lighten the stick shifting would be good.

Cheers

My gf uses both hands to put it into reverse :blink: .

haha so does mine ;)

it is a very stiff gearbox.... takes some time to get used to. u havent had it for long hey? give it a little more time, see if u get used to it, it could be the action... i struggled at first too!

Thats why I came online to ask what the people think. I'm not weak by anyones standard...ok maybe if you compare me to body builders and weight lifters, and maybe footy players.

Only had it for two weeks, and coming from an automatic conquest its a huge improvement even without lift. But I was worried that maybe I had a stuffed up gearbox or something was wrong. I guess my gf has to put up with it then, my main concern was maybe it was a bit hard for her to drive.

Does changing the oil in the tranny help? What about the TRD short shifter??

Cheers

if had my sportivo for about 6 weeks now and coming from an AUTO ascent just like you i noticed a huge diff even with using lift. before i got this car i had never driven a manual before so ovb getting used to the gearbox as well as manual itself was quite strange and new, but i finally seem to be getting smooth in shifting and taking off.

since i learnt manual, ive driven a few of my friends cars (180sx, s13 etc) and the gearboxes seem SOOOO EASY to drive, soft, smooth etc - i cant say what i prefer as they are all so different, but yeh our gearbox is quite a tough one, especially getting into reverse sometimes

The only other vehicle that I have experience with manual in is a Toyota Hiace and Ford Transit. Must say that it is easier to shift in those then the sportivo.

I'm just wondering is this the fault of the gears inside the gearbox or the gearshift assembly??

the reason reverse is such an SOB is because it doesnt have any synchro's, its pretty much a 'raw' shift as you will see if you put the car in neutral, rev it a bit, then try and change into reverse - hear that grinding? :lol:

but one of the primary design principles of the C51 (stivo) and C52 (1zz) gearboxes was a 'notchy' shift. The reasoning behind this was to make the shift gates easier to slide into, giving the box a more rigid and sturdy feel. Personally i like it...however i find you ever need to really give the shift any effort than you are not clutching properly/your clutch sucks. A weird thing that i find about the 1zz box though...it seems to shift smoother when punching it, especially under high revs ;)

yep our gearbox is pretty tuff to get it into gears compare to some, i drove my mate's mazda 3 and its sooo oiled ang easy to shift, not just shifting, our clutch is harder to control too(i think), i found that on a hot day( say 28 degrees) and you leave the car in the sun for a while, its lot more easier to shift, do you guys find this is well????

yep our gearbox is pretty tuff to get it into gears compare to some, i drove my mate's mazda 3 and its sooo oiled ang easy to shift, not just shifting, our clutch is harder to control too(i think), i found that on a hot day( say 28 degrees) and you leave the car in the sun for a while, its lot more easier to shift, do you guys find this is well????

Yes I find the same thing as well. Also if you give more revs say 4000rpm instead of 3000rpm its easier and smoother to engage gears.

just had the sportivo last week so it's all new to me.

i bought a used 03 and the previous owner has the TRD short shift fitted. i haven't tried stock shift but this short shift is really good. easy to slot into gear and slick. much shorter than my Mx5 which is good already.

as to reverse, it's hard to engage and i use both hands as well.

but one of the primary design principles of the C51 (stivo) and C52 (1zz)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a C51. ZZE123Rs (aka Stivos) have the C60 6-speed gearbox, and ZZE122Rs (aka normal 1ZZ Corollas) have the C150 (but thats just a stronger, slightly different C50 to fit the ZZ engine)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a C51. ZZE123Rs (aka Stivos) have the C60 6-speed gearbox, and ZZE122Rs (aka normal 1ZZ Corollas) have the C150 (but thats just a stronger, slightly different C50 to fit the ZZ engine)

Well the Toyota Corolla service CDs say otherwise, C51s do exist. I can't be possitive about the Sportivos I dont remember exactly...I read a design document a while back...i think though yeah the stivos either have the C60 or C64, not a C5X series.

And i can say for sure the 1zzs have a C52 in them because the plaque in my engine bay says so :P

I had issue's when i first purchased mine new last year.

I had the trany oil changed and also had the clutch pedal positioning adjusted!

I fitted the TRD quick shift a few months agao and all these components put together have made changes so much easier.

I also find that pulling the gear leaver across towards you and then pushing it across and up into reverse is the easiest way for me to get into reverse. :D

Hope that help's

Well the Toyota Corolla service CDs say otherwise, C51s do exist. I can't be possitive about the Sportivos I dont remember exactly...I read a design document a while back...i think though yeah the stivos either have the C60 or C64, not a C5X series.

And i can say for sure the 1zzs have a C52 in them because the plaque in my engine bay says so :P

Never seen a C51, only C151 but then again they could be interchangable. The C1xx boxes seem to be similar versions of Cxx ones, eg the C160 (used under the blacktop) and the C60 (under the 2ZZ) have identical ratios.

It could also come down to different usage of codes internal and external ie a different code for a C52 as to whether it's under an A-series engine or a ZZ-series (due to different bell-housings and/or final drives)

As an aside, a lot of people seem to complain about notchiness or shifting effort in the C-series (my C52 is fine, by the way, but I have rather strong arms). If anything, short-shifters will actually INCREASE the effort required to change gears (simple mechanical advantage/lever laws here), which is why truck and van gearboxes have really easy throws (due to their extremely long shifter, for leverage). The notchiness can be improved somewhat by replacing the rubber bushes in the gearbox linkages (where the cables meet the gearbox) with roller bearings. After lots of shifts and many years, the bushes tend to flog out and add a vague-ness to the shift, which is fixed with the bearings. A full replacement shouldn't cost any more than $20 or $30, and the difference is felt immediately (and lasts a long time too)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

I think you will find the Sportivo box is a C64, the C60 is in the Celica and has a longer ratio 6th gear, but the same design. The 6 signifies it as a 6 speed gearbox so it is imposible for it to be a C5# gearbox.

the reason reverse is such an SOB is because it doesnt have any synchro's, its pretty much a 'raw' shift as you will see if you put the car in neutral, rev it a bit, then try and change into reverse - hear that grinding? :lol:

but one of the primary design principles of the C51 (stivo) and C52 (1zz) gearboxes was a 'notchy' shift. The reasoning behind this was to make the shift gates easier to slide into, giving the box a more rigid and sturdy feel. Personally i like it...however i find you ever need to really give the shift any effort than you are not clutching properly/your clutch sucks. A weird thing that i find about the 1zz box though...it seems to shift smoother when punching it, especially under high revs ;)

I've got a 1zz and i find that if u rev it high (say 5k) in 1st and then try to shift into 2nd, the gear stick is harder to pull out of first. then again, maybe im not clutching in fully? :P

Do others find this aswell?