Sportivo TRD Air Filter

Kevsta

Can someone tell me what the subtle differences are with the Matrix XRS CAI (Injen, TRD, AEM) and the Corolla Sportivo. I noticed on top of the standard air box there is some sort of sensor held with two phillips head screws, and at the back of the air box there is a vacuum hose of some sort. These obviously need to be re-plumbed back into the CAI. So I was wondering if the CAI piping allows you to connect all these things up to it, and if so, are the hoses or mount points the correct size etc...

The photos for the AEM one don't seem to show where you can plumb the sensor into the pipe. But the Injen and TRD seem okay.

Sorry for all the questions, its just that I need to do some prep work before placing an order for one and want to be sure that it's going to fit without too much hassle.

:o

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the TRD CAI those extra hoses are simply removed and the Kit comes with plugs for this.

The metal mount for one of the sensors needs to be modified with a little bit of grinding as it is just slighlty too big for the clip at the back of the sensor to go on, and aother piece cut off the mount as its not neaded and just gets in the way.

Other than that it pretty much goes straight on. Its very nicely done as it even comes with rubber mountings that go straight to standard points on the car.

The car idles perfect and absolutely no vibrations from the kit!

The TRD kit is a quality item and does it make a difference!

All the minor adjustments are made to the mount supplied in the TRD kit. You do not have to modify any part of the car. Once you spray the TRD mount that requires the slight modification black, it looks pretty much factory standard!

I do not know if you will be able to get a kit that requires no minor mods to it for our stivo's and in previous cars I have never had a custom intake as nice as this TRD CAI... and I have had a few!

• 7 months later...

I have the trd filter. the air flow and filtration is higher than the denso one that comes standard and this is becasue it is an oil based filter. can trap particles heaps smaller.

the performance gain was little/non just better throttle response.

if oiled correctly nil oil should go near the airflometer. this is outlined in the manual, haven't had a service yet so i am not sure if toyota will willingly clena my trd filter.

Hi guys newie here...

Has anyone go the Part number for the K&N air filter to match a sportivo?

Thanks

If you go to any shop that sells K&N filters, they usually have a catelogue that tell you which one you should use. It's the same one that a normal Corolla uses.

You also have to block off a tube that is not used to add to Stewarts comment. You can buy that from Autobahn. If any one one wants it done I can do it in Melbourne but there will be a cost for my time, which I think is only fair. I have fitted 3 in total and advised others on how to do it in relation to the TRD unit (other types would be simullar in installation)

one other thing. dun be confused as there are 2 types of panel filters. one is from TRD USA and one is from TRD japan. the japanese one is a pink paper-based one and requires no oiling and is a disposable one. the TRD USA one is more like the K&N, requires oiling and is reusable.

We would recommend the paper panel filter from TRD Japan. They are less restrictive and the engine revs a lot more freely. Our price for this filter is AUD$105 plus postage.

cheers

Bruce

How long (approx) do these Jap filters usually last for? Cos I am keen to get one.

Thanks heaps peeps..

I think this is the part

K and N Air Filter - KN33-2252 - [KN33-2252]

Not sure of the colour though

:unsure:

how do i know "before ordering" wether its the usa one or the Jap one???

in australia i would think only the ones made in japan are sold here unless it is a private/special import.

our cars are not from usa but south africa and this is closer to the corolla from japan.

qd180 sounds like you are purchasing online. you would need to ask the dealer where the goods is made before you checkout if it is not advertised.

but if you just go into a store like genesis (melbourne) you can inspect the box for the "made in japan".

they can defect if no enclosure due to the danger of the paper element in the filter being at risk of catching on fire from sparks around the engine??go figure any way.

i know unifilter have a non paper corolla purpose built ram pod.

( you guys probably knew this any way. )

i am off to tape up all the holes where sparks come out so my engine bay does light up lol :lol:

Does insurance have to know about the TRD CAI?

Isnt it in theory the same thing as replacing "damaged" piping with superior materials and adding a new filter element?

Has anybody had any trouble getting there insurance to cover this? Or did insurance just say it was ok because it was a TRD item....

calvin, i just rang my insurance company and asked about a CAI in general, she asked me what it was :P in the end, i explained to her it would only have minimal gains, a few kw's, but would be better for the engine and better millage. her supervisor wasnt convinced, so they decided to pass it to another department. in the end she said it was fine, and asked me how much it was worth, and that if it was expensive that it would increase my premium, other than that, they didnt see a problem. i mean compared to other things u could do to a car, a CAI is nothing, they didnt even have it on their list of modications lol

Thanks! :D

So far it sounds pretty good to me, hopefully my insurance company sees things the same way and that way i dont have to tell them about it! Looks like its time to start saving....