Rev cut earlier on regular unleaded?

Just a question, has anyone noticed the rev limiter kick in earlier with regular unleaded compared to premium?

(Not that I suppose many people use regular but I thought i'd ask anyway)

Reason I ask is 'cause I usually use BP premium 95 but I filled up a tank of regular Shell unleaded the other day. Stupid station had no premium & I was running pretty low but on the plus side I got 12c/L off the price so it was under $1/L ;)

Anyway taking off from the lights today I accelerated pretty quickly & seemed to hit the limiter in 1st alot quicker than I would normally do i.e. never. Felt like a right idiot too :whistling:

Yeah usually it's about 35/40 in 1st, 2nd gear up to about 70 & back off through the other gears from there since i'm on or close to the speed limit. There is definitely a performance difference using regular unleaded, I noticed a slight delay between putting my foot down and accelerating.

Just wondering if it has something to do with the knock sensor?

Anyway if I find a quiet road i'll try again but as it is I think i'll get it down to half a tank and top up with premium.

Nah just the regular unleaded ;)

Actually I sort of got a chance to test it today and i'm still not convinced, was up to 6,000rpm (i.e. just before hitting the limiter) and it was still well under 50km/h. Anyway the car needs a service so if a new batch of fuel doesn't fix it then maybe i'll mention it then.

It's a moody thing, somedays it feels like it's got a ton of power and then other days I hear all the little sqeaks and rattles...

Edited by Conquest

It's a moody thing, somedays it feels like it's got a ton of power and then other days I hear all the little sqeaks and rattles...

And you wonder why so many people compare cars to women... :lol:

Hahahaha :P

Hey Conquest has temperature been a factor??

Hey Conquest has temperature been a factor??

Today was quite warm but the other night wasn't too bad.

I'd almost think it was the clutch slipping since it seems to rev more than drive but from a standing start it's still as quick as ever.

EDIT: Hmm but now i'm thinking about it would the higher power/torque at higher revs cause the clutch to start slipping once the car is moving?

Edited by Conquest

this should be possible in first that lands you directly in lift in 2nd and third if you can do the same in 2nd rpm wise..... (this was not bouncing off the limiter but kissing it on the way to 2nd lift).

man i miss my 8200rpm waaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you probably need a clutch adjustment and learn the sihft characteristics of the car but having drive 3 sportivos, they all felt lsightly diffenernt in the clutch and shift (all stock cars).

oh forgot you dont have lift (neither do i now, i have boost)

post-282-1168589106_thumb.jpg

Edited by unfamilia

When I was having issues shifting I thought it was because of that annoying mystical prancing dwarf named 'hans' that micky put in my car.

Once I sobered up I realised that this was in fact the pressure plate and clutch position, and that there was no prancing dwarf :ph34r:

I guess all I'm trying to say is that sometimes the 'I' in VVTi (in your case) can give weird results. They make cars too smart these days.

Is there a prancing dwarf though? I still here funny squeaking / tapping noises coming from the car with the additional yell of "Wooohooohohohoooo! Thee glass monkey comes for ye!"

Meh, your car is fine mate :)

When I was having issues shifting I thought it was because of that annoying mystical prancing dwarf named 'hans' that micky put in my car.

Once I sobered up I realised that this was in fact the pressure plate and clutch position, and that there was no prancing dwarf :ph34r:

I guess all I'm trying to say is that sometimes the 'I' in VVTi (in your case) can give weird results. They make cars too smart these days.

Is there a prancing dwarf though? I still here funny squeaking / tapping noises coming from the car with the additional yell of "Wooohooohohohoooo! Thee glass monkey comes for ye!"

Meh, your car is fine mate :)

Rob I told you no ragging on Hans! :lol:

Anyway I guess the moral of this story is to always ensure there's a servo with 95RON or better nearby! If they run out that's just tough luck :angry: But it's pretty poor management if they do

unfamilia just a question "How did you take that photo" Im thinking if it was on the road it would be pretty hard as you have to drive, look at the road, rpm, take the photo and be ready to shift :clap:

The angle of the photo makes it look like it was from the driver's seat....

unfamilia just a question "How did you take that photo" Im thinking if it was on the road it would be pretty hard as you have to drive, look at the road, rpm, take the photo and be ready to shift :clap:

The angle of the photo makes it look like it was from the driver's seat....

was looking at the road with the camera(camaera phone) sticky tapped onto flat bit of the steering wheel. the button was almost where my thumb was at the 3pm area on the right hand side.

Didnt have to watch the tacho, once you drive these cars long enough you can listen to the rpm and pick when the 8200 is coming up due to the scream (its like wringing its neck and waiting for something to break).

The button on my phone is just a light tap so was easy to do, tried video but to shaky.

I guess the moral of this story is to always ensure there's a servo with 95RON or better nearby!

Damn straight it is! Got down to around half a tank so I put in ~ 20 litres of Vortex 98 & oh what a feeling :yahoo:

Pulls strongly all the way to redline & it's a completely different car to drive, I won't make that mistake again :lol: