heel-and-toe

Hey guys sorta banged something up that I hope helps coz couple of people have been asking about it. Not to confuse this with double-declutching which is mainly used for vehicles that don't have a synchromesh gearbox, maybe explain that another day since its close to 1am now.

And also, THANKS to Northy for driving out at 30mins past midnight so I know how many revs there are at 30km/h in second gear. :D

A heel-and-toe downshift refers to a specific technique used to downshift a manual transmission car. Once mastered, the heel-and-toe downshift offers the benefits of reduced vehicle wear, better driver control and faster lap times on a racetrack.

The heel-and-toe downshift involves both of your feet, your right hand, all three vehicle pedals and the gear shift lever. Notice we have 2 feet and 3 pedals? Problem, huh? The purpose of the heel-and-toe is to smoothly match engine speed to wheel speed when braking.

Here is a generalisation of how someone, who tries to corner quickly without using this technique, might find it useful.

Let's say Danz (sorry! :P ) is driving his Levin around Brisbane. He wants to turn right at a traffic junction before the amber right arrow turns red, while in fourth gear at 60km/h. He is obviously going too fast to make it around the corner safely, so he starts braking until he drops the Levin's speed to about 30km/h. Danz then realises that his engine revs are dropping too low, so he pushes in the clutch pedal as he takes the corner. Then Danz thinks about accelerating, he realizes that the Levin is still in fourth gear, which isn't quite right for acceleration at such slow speeds. So he shifts from fourth to second gear, lets out the clutch and drives on.

The problem with Danz's technique is that when he lets out the clutch, the car will most likely ***** or he might be riding the clutch longer than he should be. Why? Because when Danz goes around the corner with the clutch pushed in, the engine revs drop to idle speed. When he releases the clutch, the mechanical locking effect between the engine and the front wheels forces the engine revs to match its rotational speed. In this case, 30km/h in second gear would mean the engine has to be at roughly 2250 rpm. When Danz lets out the clutch after moving the shifter to second gear, his car's engine must instantly go from idle to 2250 rpm. This sudden change causes the car to *****, as well as increasing the wear on the clutch.

What Danz can do would be to stab the throttle before he lets out the clutch midway, as he exits the corner. Ideally, he should raise the engine speed to 2250 rpm. This would match the engine speed to the wheel speed for the gear making for a seamless transition. But this technique is slow as well as driving the car around a corner with the clutch pushed in; which is BAD.

This is when the heel-and-toe downshift would be useful. The technique combines braking and downshifting SMOOTHLY at the same time. If Danz used a heel-and-toe downshift, he would have downshifted while he was braking for the corner. The benefits are that he would be in the powerband during the corner, can balance the car midway and apply power quicker, earlier and smoother on his way out of the corner. This technique is not entirely just for motor racing but can be useful for street driving, too.

Below is a step-thru guide on how to execute it:

- Begin braking for the corner with your right foot.

- Push in the clutch with your left foot.

- Move the shifter from fourth gear to third; or whichever the next sequentially lower gear u are meant to select

- This is the tricky bit. As your are swapping the cogs, with your right foot still on the brakes, roll the outside edge of your foot outward, reach out and stab the throttle pedal, or “blip” it, with the side or the heel of your foot, depending on what is comfortable. The car’s pedal placement is important, too. IMHO, the Sportivo one sucks, btw :P the throttle pedal is to shallow in comparison to the brakes!

- Release the clutch with your left foot.

If done correctly, should be smooth as and ready to enter the corner!!

Well having said all that, it’s not easy. I can’t quite get it perfect all the time. And it takes practise to get it decently right. Personally, I’ve found a good way to get a feel for it.

What you can do is to practise cruising around at 60km/h, downshift from fifth to fourth without jerking or any signs of obvious slowing by ‘blipping’ the throttle to match the revs going from fifth to fourth before quickly letting the clutch out. That exercise shouldn’t be too difficult or require a big blip and should take about less than a second to perform. The result should be a silky smooth transition. Once u have mastered that, go from fourth to third. And third to second. Then try and do it a couple of gears at a go like from fourth to third to second. DO NOT SKIP GEARS. By now you should have a feel for the amount of revs as well and the transitions. Now try braking and doing that at the same time. Before you go on the road and try that, it would be wise to sit in your garage and pretend that you are doing it first, to get the co-ordination right. Once you are ready, try it out. Your first few attempts will be embarrassing to say the least! But don’t give up so easily. Practice each step slowly and then work your way to making them all one, fluid motion. Skilled drivers can execute a heel-and-toe downshift in less than one second. When I first started out, I had learn it on a truck! :(

You'll also know it when you did it right. A proper heel-and-toe downshift is so smooth and so satisfying that, once done correctly, you'll find yourself using the technique all the time. Additionally, using the heel-and-toe downshift technique on the street can improve safety. In certain emergency situations, you might be required to brake heavily and then accelerate quickly. By heel-and-toe downshifting, your car will be in the best gear to achieve maximum acceleration.

DISCLAIMER

This is intended as a guide. PLEASE do not sue me if anything unfortunate happens while you are doing this!! I'm only trying to help out :unsure:

And also Danz's driving is not as bad as perceived in the above scenario.

lol in a certain emergency... if u had to stop quickly who cares about the clutch.. if u r doing 80 or 90 km/h.. drop the clutch into 2nd, apply brake (esp in the wet, wont skid as much when dropping the clutch as much as just appling brakes alone and hard), then if u need to pick up speed, since u r in 2nd if u still have good momentum (say 35km/h) floor it... if u r very slow throw it back into 1st gear... and so on.

Anyways... great info man, might have to give it a go... but all and all, if u care about the wear and tear of your car mechanical components just dont drive it hard.

Where did u find this info by the way? wouldnt mind checking out the website?

Hehe well what shaohaok said are all correct about the heel-and-toe. He taught me over the msn (CAN U BELIEVE THAT!?) and one night, i was all alone...HEY lets try that technique, heel-and-toe. Now I remember what Shao told me as if there is this voice right next to me saying "if its done correctly, the car should remain smooth...". 1st time try 1st time got it, and yes I see why this technque is very important and will reduce engine wear for real.

Xie-xie SiFu!!!!

ADR, sometimes its best not to stop under emergency situation but to go away from it. Say u see quite clearly in front of you trouble is approaching. Naturally u hit the brake, but if u can, u brake but don't stop but go around it if its applicable. Use heel and toe and u will find it very useful. I know I did. And you really got to know how to drive your car hard but still able to maintain safe engine and mechanical operations.

Heel and toe, it's easier to do it at lower speed than higher speed and yes u have to remember which speed at which gear at which rpm is best suited. I remember mine by 3000rpm speed and gear. I still need to practice at higher speed, mountain pass is one good place to fully learn this. Don't go overspeed pls :P

one other technique my dad taught me is to downshift without the brake to get up to ideal rpm for the speed, useful for uphil. say u go up at 60km/h, 4th gear. Now u might feel the uphill is too steep and requires u to select lower gear. U drop the gear and hit the gas, the car now face sudden rise in RPM and might start to *****. what u do is to step the clutch in, downshift and before u release the gas u tap the gas pedal to rise the rpm, then release the clutch and hit the gas to accelerate. This will smoothen the downshift. U can do this too in straight line, useful for cat and mouse time. Again this is also good to know which rpm at what speed and at what gear, will become so useful for heel-and-toe.

You forgot to mention...

Not only do your downshifts - whether you're setting up for corner, slowing down or selecting a lower gear for acceleration feel very smooth when you heel/toe, but it sounds bloody awesome !

Especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust ! :D :lol: :D

hehehe..

i practiced heel-toe in my works vehicles. hehehe

Now i can do heel-toe whenever i want.

approaching coners, roundabouts, anything.

I'm loving it! :lol::lol::lol:

At first it hurt my right ankle..now..it's just second nature.

i'll see if i can get some video footage. ;)

He he - Love the work vehicles :D The funniest is heel/toe on turbo diesel 3tonne vans ! Scares the sh!t out of other drivers when they hear you blip the throttle approaching a corner or a stop - they don't think you're slowing down :lol:

Great info. I had the benefit on learning heel-and-toe on my old celica. it was old so you could hear the engine more and clutch was heavier. it had more feel and feedback than the stivo so it's easier to learn. I find that i do it all the time now. just a habit. :D I find it particularly useful when i need to accelerate as soon as you come out of the corner after braking. some guy was tail-gating me at one stage thinking he could overtake as soon as we came out of this sharp left turn. Heel-and-toe allows you to stay in the power band by downshifting, braking and turning all at the same time. by the time he was finished turning, i was long gone! hehehe. he was so annoyed he tried to run me at the next set of lights. I just let him go so he wouldn't have the satifaction. :D :D :lol: G-O-D i love being an A*rsehole! hehe :lol:

Way to go, qkslver... The sign of a true driver...

it's not how fast you go in a stright line, it's how big your b**ls are when cornering... ;) :D :lol:

The other advantage of heal and toe is reduced understeer as you have the advantage of being able to use less break pressure (less chance of lockup) and rely more on engine breaking, ride the pitch of the car forward more to get more front end grip also, but thats all in the timing.

Practice, makes purfect guys, it does take time to master, but is a good feeling when you get it right.

I know its good for the gearbox synchros and clutch. I sometimes brake using the left half of my foot and use the right side of my foot to jab the throttle. That is provided your foot is big enough and make sure you don't slip off the brakes :P

Can i ask what's wrong with using heel and toe and skipping a gear? Ive gone from 4th to 2nd a few times when turning sharply at a certain intersection i drive through every morning...

nothing wrong in newer cars because they have syncromesh trans, but older cars need to... but also stops the risk of over-rev...

Can i ask what's wrong with using heel and toe and skipping a gear? Ive gone from 4th to 2nd a few times when turning sharply at a certain intersection i drive through every morning...

yeah, what Blue_Sportivo_VVTLi said is right, its also to keep up a rhythm if u are on a circuit, and also more a check to keep your revs where they should be. u might also be wearing off the synchros quicker.

nothing taboo about skipping gears, if u get what i mean, just a precaution not to :unsure:

heel-and-toe without double clutching does nothing for the gear box synchros. You need to let out the clutch before you blip the throttle so the input shaft and output shaft are at a similar rev. that way when you jam that gear in, the synchros do less work for the dogs to engage. and FYI, alot of people just use the side of their feet to blip the throttle while half their right foot is on the brake. feels much more natural than having your foot sideways :D

there is a particular rythm and timing to it. Brake, clutch, neutral, clutch out, blip the throttle (knowing how long takes practice), clutch, downshift, clutch out and back on throttle. you want to time it so that when you are ready to get back on the throttle you have just come out of the corner. it's all about being in the right rev entering the turn.

lol in a certain emergency... if u had to stop quickly who cares about the clutch.. if u r doing 80 or 90 km/h.. drop the clutch into 2nd, apply brake (esp in the wet, wont skid as much when dropping the clutch as much as just appling brakes alone and hard), then if u need to pick up speed, since u r in 2nd if u still have good momentum (say 35km/h) floor it... if u r very slow throw it back into 1st gear... and so on.

Anyways... great info man, might have to give it a go... but all and all, if u care about the wear and tear of your car mechanical components just dont drive it hard.

Where did u find this info by the way? wouldnt mind checking out the website?

I generally always heel and toe it, I used to own a mini so I used that method most of the time to compensate for really shoddy brakes.

Keep in mind, our car has ABS, if you know the exact lockup point of your car and you don't have ABS you will stop in a shorter distance than someone who jumps on the anchors with ABS. I use the engine to slow me down aswell as using the brakes, its rare that I brake hard anyway because these days I drive like a grandma but all the same, I still usually heel and toe it.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone find it hard to do heel toe when they first bought their corolla sportivos?

I've had it for one and a half weeks, I'm finding it quite difficult cos of the position of the pedals. I just can't seem to position my foot properly, I had no trouble doing it in other cars.

Would it be better to change the pedals? or will I eventually become accustomed to it?

Did anyone find it hard to do heel toe when they first bought their corolla sportivos?

I've had it for one and a half weeks, I'm finding it quite difficult cos of the position of the pedals. I just can't seem to position my foot properly, I had no trouble doing it in other cars.

Would it be better to change the pedals? or will I eventually become accustomed to it?

i have no problem with my heal and toe in my Sportivo. but mine had Sportivo pedals.

i am now practising with various kinds of shoes, including steel toe work boot.

Watch Initial D and watch Takumi drives the Fujiwara Tofu AE86, man how does he do it...i know its fiction buts its still mad, u can learn so much from that anime....u can watcha him heal and toe hairpins keke

cheers

Try the cup of water and tray of TOFU!!!!!!!

:lol: