Sportivo Stock Wheel Cleaning

CheekySportivo

Hi Guys,

I have been noticing that everytime I go to clean my stock stivo rims that the back/inner part of the rim

has small black spots and bits of dirt which I can't get to come off.

Ive tried using a soft head toothbrush, Meguiars 'Hot Wheels' spray, mild detergent and a sponge to try and get rid of these small marks but nothing. :(

Was just wondering if anyone was experiencing this same sort of thing or you can advise the best way

to clean and get rid of these markings. Perhaps a specific wheel cleaning product?

Cheers

:)

• 6 months later...

Still trying to get rid of those darn black spots that are seen within the inner rim of my stock sportivo wheels (behind the spokes)

Does anyone have any recommendations or provide feedback on how to clean and remove these yucky black spots? :(

I have used Meguairs Bug n Tar remover but it didnt really help.

Any help would be great as I want my wheels squeeky clean :)

Cheers

Edited by Cheeky Age

Those black spots are either tar or brake dust eating thru the top coat...

Try and scratch the marks off with your fingernail and see how you go...

Degreaser is safe on wheels, after all, it doesn't effect the paint in your engine bay ;) ;) ;) ...

• 2 weeks later...
Those black spots are either tar or brake dust eating thru the top coat...

Try and scratch the marks off with your fingernail and see how you go...

Degreaser is safe on wheels, after all, it doesn't effect the paint in your engine bay ;) ;) ;) ...

So does that mean those black spots cant be removed?

Surely they can be as they dont feel like they have eaten into the alloy at all :unsure:

I just cleaned my rims yesterday using a mix of a degreaser and wheel cleaning spray on stuff (no name or brand).

Sprayed it on, let it settle for 1 minute, then used a steam cleaner with a brush attachment on the end.

End result: brand new looking rims.

This comment was about as useful as t1ts on a bull if you dont have a steam cleaner!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this helps you or not but for my hyper silver finish alloys I just run the car through the carwash (so presoak, hot soap, rinse, spot free rinse) to get most of the dirt etc off and then I use a Kenco micro fibre detailing cloth (was about $5 from Super Cheap and can be washed) to rub them dry, and it takes away all of the grime/grease/dirt left behind and leaves them really shiny. It takes a little bit of elbow grease, but I don't use any products at all on them, just water and the cloth.

• 1 month later...
Is it a good idea to use a steam cleaner on ur factory rims though?

Might look good at first but it may end up with defects afterwards like dry patches, removal of clear coat and blotches perhaps? :unsure:

I hear you, but it's on a very low setting with minimal pressure. As it is, now that all the cr@p is off, I only use water and an old sponge. It would take too long to do the rims constantly with the steamer. My attention span isn't what it used to

I have used pressure cleaners on rims for years and never done any damage so long as you're not a clown. If you want your rims to stay in an easy state of maintainence then firstly get them nice and clean then apply a coat of carnauba wax to the rims. This will make the rims easy to clean in the future as it protects the rim from grime etc and doesn't allow the grime to stick to the surface.

I have done this for years and it makes wheels very easy to keep in good condition.

Heya B - I wasn't using a pressure cleaner, but a steamer. I think the issue is using high-latent steam which could damage the outer coating of the mags. Theoretically possible, but hopefully unlikely. On the verge of buying a pressure cleaner, so let the good times spray!