Scrubing the inner guard on the 18's

GAZOOM

Hi Guys,

I have 18 inch wheels on my rolla and running 225/40/18.

I then lowered the car on Pedder springs 30-35MM I am now getting some scrubbing on the inner guard on the front 2 wheels. No problems in the back.

When the car is stationary there is no clearance problems front or back.

How do I fix this? Do I need stiffer spring or better struts ? I do not want 35 series tyres.

Thanks

Gazoom

Hi Guys,

I have 18 inch wheels on my rolla and running 225/40/18.

I then lowered the car on Pedder springs 30-35MM I am now getting some scrubbing on the inner guard on the front 2 wheels. No problems in the back.

When the car is stationary there is no clearance problems front or back.

How do I fix this? Do I need stiffer spring or better struts ? I do not want 35 series tyres.

Thanks

Gazoom

is the rubbing from the side or the top.... if it's from the side then spacers should do or go for 215 tyres... if it's from the top i think u'll need lower profile.... i'm running 215/35/18 n it's not that bad... i just have rubbing problems at full lock... 5mm spacers should fix that

Edited by d_ice

true, but i think its more a case of your own safety when it comes to using spacers.

I mean if you wheel was meant to have that offset then it would have been made with that offset.... i personally dont like the idea using something plastic to support something metal.

But as long as we drive safe* then its all good :D

* speeding is excluded - driving slow does not equal safer driving :D

:D ;) ;) :D yesssssss..... spacers hehehe.... i never mentioned spacer ;) those aren't spacers mr officer hehe....

but then again how's a cop supposed to notice spacers they're very hard to notice

They might not notice during a typical pullover or random breath test, but the road authority will sure notice when you are involved in an accident. There goes any credibility of your side of the story due to unroadworthiness (if there is such a word) and not to mention an automatic insurance void and rejected claim too. It's just too silly to be getting away with problems one way that will bring you down in the long run when there are other available options that won't harm you.

The only legal solution I can think without going lower profiles is to flare your front guards. It involves a fair bit of work, but the end result looks great.

:D ;) ;) :D yesssssss..... spacers hehehe.... i never mentioned spacer ;) those aren't spacers mr officer hehe....

but then again how's a cop supposed to notice spacers they're very hard to notice

They might not notice during a typical pullover or random breath test, but the road authority will sure notice when you are involved in an accident. There goes any credibility of your side of the story due to unroadworthiness (if there is such a word) and not to mention an automatic insurance void and rejected claim too. It's just too silly to be getting away with problems one way that will bring you down in the long run when there are other available options that won't harm you.

The only legal solution I can think without going lower profiles is to flare your front guards. It involves a fair bit of work, but the end result looks great.

u'r right..... stupid insurance stupid laws.... lol

Brandon,

Your car is on super lows and 18" do you get any scrubbing at all?

I think 215/40/18 will solve the problem as the scrubbing is on the outer tyre at the top of the inner plastic guard.

The inner guard has already got some cracks and wear from the tyre.

That size tyre is a good $60 per corner more expensive than the 225.

Cheers,

Gazoom

get coilovers

I'm currently running 215/45r17 which everyone assured me scrub to buggery, but I have no issues at all and I've pushed the car hard through some round abouts to check.

I have 1-1.5 finger spacing between the tyre edge and the guards on every corner.

Brandon,

Your car is on super lows and 18" do you get any scrubbing at all?

I think 215/40/18 will solve the problem as the scrubbing is on the outer tyre at the top of the inner plastic guard.

The inner guard has already got some cracks and wear from the tyre.

That size tyre is a good $60 per corner more expensive than the 225.

Cheers,

Gazoom

I used to have on 225/40/18 and sometimes I would scrape through very tight turns or going over speed humps faster than I should... but only sometimes.

With the 215/35/18, no scrapping at all. So it was definitely the tyre size :)

I used to have on 225/40/18 and sometimes I would scrape through very tight turns or going over speed humps faster than I should... but only sometimes.

Hi Mate,

On your registry you have 215/40/18 Pirelli's is that a typo?

Are you running 215/35/18?

Cheers,

Gazoom

Hi Mate,

On your registry you have 215/40/18 Pirelli's is that a typo?

Are you running 215/35/18?

Cheers,

Gazoom

I've got them sitting in the shed :P

ATM, yeh I'm running crappy Nankangs 215/35/18. The Pirelli's I haven't tried. Haven't had an opportunity yet.

you have not said what offset your wheels are. this will make a difference. general scrubbing issues can be solved by removing plastic guards and or rolling the guards (for rear you can roll out the lip).

How do I fix this? Do I need stiffer spring or better struts ?

stiffer shocks have blown new shocks.

Edited by kcorro

you have not said what offset your wheels are. this will make a difference. general scrubbing issues can be solved by removing plastic guards and or rolling the guards (for rear you can roll out the lip).

Offset 43

The plastic guard is where the tyre is hitting. So you saying I can remove the guard all together?

dont remove the inner guard, it's not worth filling up the gap between the car body and guard with rocks/mud/dirt/bugs etc.

Trim the plastic if you can't put up with a little scrubbing noise, the tyre will wear the plastic away eventually anyway, or get stiffer springs/struts.

PS, dont ever run those dodgey 5mm spacers you can buy from the autoshops... Did anyone see Targa on TV last year where the Audi TT had a wheel come off on a bridge when the el cheap0 5mm spacer broke?

If you HAVE to run spacers, get a machinist to turn up some concentric spacers to your dimensions that locate on the hubs, not the wheel studs, and that are machined to fit into the bore of your chosen alloy wheel.

Most aftermarket alloy wheels need locating rings inserted into them so they fit properly onto the hubs, so it's easy to get good spacers machined up to suit.

pps, what width are the wheels.. 7, 7.5"? The offset means nothing when the width isn't mentioned.

Edited by rollamods

G'day,

I think tyre width may solve everything (might not be the cheapest fix).

I run 215/35/18's with 30mm Kings Lows on my 03 Sportivo and have no scrubbing whatsoever. The previous owner advised me that he first tried 225's but had dramas (WITHOUT SPRINGS?!?! - I thought he was joking as it sat more like a Hilux 4x4).

Best of luck - hope there is an economical solution for you out there.

Cheers,

Nath.

Problem somewhat solved.

I was told that the cheap sh@t tyres I had on ( Clear HP166) had an extra large side wall.

Now that I have changed to some half decent tyres the scrubbing in the 225/40/18 is not as bad.

:yahoo: