AEM Power

I got my AEM installed, and damn its good. Screams like no tomorrow, and its damn loud at max 6000rpm! Below 3000rpm, u hardly notice the noise, above 3000rpm u will hear it, reach 4000rpm and beyond, its all hell break loose man.

What the dyno said on AEM site seems to be very true. The tourqe and power really is there, and it picks up pace real quick. I have not dyno my car yet, but for whatever is the figure, I know the car is improved.

Now that the exhaust system and the intake is done, I'm going to call it a day for engine mods :) I mod the car mainly for cruiser, but now its a bit of a battle cruiser. So it's enough.

Next mod gotta be suspension, that's one area I've been postponing a lot and require the most attention. STAY TUNED!

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/au/DCP_3211

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/au/DCP_3212

For more info, a test conducted on three intake system; Injen, TRD and AEM. Results shown that AEM gives the most tourqe, while TRD gives the most horsepower. I forgot what Injen exels at, but each intakes give you benefit and are all very good.

I didn't know about this untill I actually order it, and I was fortunate because tourqe is what I'm after. I don't know how true this is because i read it over the internet on US corolla forum and come across the post. They did mention the which magazine conducted the test, but I forgot which magazine it was. So far, I really do feel there's heaps of tourqe across the rev zone, it helps out the exhaust system aswell, hence power everywhere.

nice results all round. i think all though it will never happen that toyota should bring the CAI out on all cars. as i think every one with a CAI will agree is so much mor edrivable. i have to admit i was so anti CAI when i bought the car, oh well i am allowed to change my mind.

the AEM looks like such a nice engine bay accessory as well.

nice danz

looks awesome dan! i would of liked a blue one hehe, but red looks hot.

i have a couple of questions question.

with the piece of silicon/rubber that joins the pipe to the throttle body, having secured it, with those metal braclets on each side, would u assume that it is 100% secure, or should u check it from time to time?

1) i noticed since the throttle body is larger than the pipe, one end is stretched (the TB end) and u know how stuff expands and contract in heat and cold, is there any chance it would come off? or start slipping off with time?

2) my CAI sits just behind the fog lamp, as shown in diagram 1.1

diag.JPG

opps it doesnt sit that low. the pipe just bends enuff to squeeze the pod in above the foggie.

i noticed after a drive in heavy rain, that the pods heatshield had a few droplets of water on it, i rekon it came thru where the opening for the towing hook lies. i remember someone saying if u get water in there, your stuffed. was wondering how u guys positioned your pods' or made the area more water proof.

thanks in advanced ;)

The pod is like a straw sucking up water when you floor it in the rain so be very careful. Not that Australia rains that much but i guess that is the only advantage of the standard air intake setup, more protection against these sort of things.

Richie, your intake look very similar to mine. The TB does look a bit bigger, but perfect fit all round. I still need to make some adjustment for the bit where it connects to the fuse box thing. So hard to screw em in, and it was kinda a rush job. Hehe i just can't wait any longer to fit it. But still, its perfect fit.

Yesterday was raining pretty badly in Melbourne, but I got no problem at all. If water just touches the pod I don't think it really matters. It is when huge splash of water touch the pod or the pod is soaked in. The AEM pod is also oil based, I am not sure, but K&N panel is oiled and it was supposed to deflect water.

About the bracket, they should be 100 percent safe all the time. But just check them out time to time when u can. Doesn't hurt to check for a piece of mind :)

Hey Danz,

Nice job on the AEM!

If you don't mind me asking how much was the AEM?, and where did you get it from? I am looking to start moding my car after the recall and are weighing up the different CAI options.

several months back e-gene and i were going to get the aem cai for corolla 03. the price we had for goods and freight was USD$264 each (item $165 and freight $99). ebay is one place to look for aem.

richi and danz got cai together?

these intakes that trd is talking about are pretty much the same (looks identical, just the filter really only making a difference) as the AEM, the real main difference is it comes with a heat sheild and leaves your wallet feeling heavier :o :D hehehehe u gotta love the cheaper brands..... :lol: the brand is otto, pretty much the same as NO FRILLS

these intakes that trd is talking about are pretty much the same (looks identical, just the filter really only making a difference) as the AEM, the real main difference is it comes with a heat sheild and leaves your wallet feeling heavier :o :D hehehehe u gotta love the cheaper brands..... :lol: the brand is otto, pretty much the same as NO FRILLS

I realisd the AEM intake has more bends while the TRD one has a starighter passage. That is probably the difference.

The pod is like a straw sucking up water when you floor it in the rain so be very careful.

Who told you this BS.

I've been using TRD CAI for a yer now, we have rainy/snowy winter for 6 months a year and no problem.

Even largest puddles are no problem at all. To get hydrolock you'd have to go as deep as the top of wheel arches...

Since your pod is oil based, its very hard for the water to get through. After i cleaned my pod i think i oiled it too much and it sucked up some oil coz there was a bit of oil smoke coming from the exhaust, and the first couple of days i could tell there was a slight restriction on the "breathing" of the car, so i removed the pod and wiped it a little, now everything is fine.

I got this other pod filter made by 3A Racing. its non oil based but seems to be more unrestricte judging by the look of it. The AEM pod have a closed top while the 3ARacing have an open top filteration. Why do u guys think? I wanna give it a go but would like to hear some responses first

The pod is like a straw sucking up water when you floor it in the rain so be very careful.

Who told you this BS.

I've been using TRD CAI for a yer now, we have rainy/snowy winter for 6 months a year and no problem.

Even largest puddles are no problem at all. To get hydrolock you'd have to go as deep as the top of wheel arches...

The thing is most of you guys have the car lowered which also mean the pod is closer to the ground, and when you drive over puddles after heavy rain especially on the freeway at higher speeds there is a greater risk of sucking some water through the pod. Also i said to prevent full trottle opening in heavy rainfall because the suction from the pod is much greater. Although most filters like K&N are oil based, its not water proof and you are still taking a risk.

And Danz, be careful not to over oil the filter. The oil can get on the airflow metre sensor and its not good for the engine over time.

Zee