Cv Joint Boot Failure

lowering the car puts the CV angles out from where toyota designed them, and when the CV joints are forced to work hard when they're out of their designed angle range they wear a lot faster.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think silva made a good point about not having problems with just konis and kings. Seems like this might only apply to coilover people??? Just on a indicator that most people with coilovers on average are lower than even superlow kings which equals to wearing of your cv's much quicker and the fact the people who have killed theres cv's are the people with coilys. Feel free to prove me wrong on this.

Let me know how you go with toyota and there warranty be interesting to hear what they have to say...

i think silva made a good point about not having problems with just konis and kings. Seems like this might only apply to coilover people??? Just on a indicator that most people with coilovers on average are lower than even superlow kings which equals to wearing of your cv's much quicker and the fact the people who have killed theres cv's are the people with coilys. Feel free to prove me wrong on this.

Let me know how you go with toyota and there warranty be interesting to hear what they have to say...

I thought Silva meant that he got his cvs fixed under warranty with kings and konis installed. CVs are pissweak in the stivos anyway, its a pretty common problem. Prob would have failed with stock suspension anyway if you drive it hard enough.

lowering the car puts the CV angles out from where toyota designed them, and when the CV joints are forced to work hard when they're out of their designed angle range they wear a lot faster.

How does the angle of the suspension account for the boot failures. Usaually the CVs fail after the boot is busted. They are rubber boots and can have a fair bit of angle in em, and mine dont stretch anywhere near all the way. I think toyota designed em to bust after being hit by stone.

Edited by VVTLiR

I think eddy_torrez had problems with his CV's (warranty) when he was on stock suspension.

So It's not a thing that aflicts people on coilovers only, but the lower your are, the more you're outside the original tolerances and the more at risk you are of the problem occuring.

I think eddy_torrez had problems with his CV's (warranty) when he was on stock suspension.

So It's not a thing that aflicts people on coilovers only, but the lower your are, the more you're outside the original tolerances and the more at risk you are of the problem occuring.

I think that it's not the CV's that are failing in the instances that I have seen but more the fact that the boots are failing. Both Northy and I have had the drivers side boot fail and both of us have had the gearbox's out of our cars for warranty work.

Seems coincidental I know but has some strain been put on the boots when the box's were removed?? In our cases it could be the reason but others it could be when coilovers/suspension work has been done and the the whole hub assembly is left hanging on the end of the CV at it's most extreme angle. I always try and support the hub to avoid this from happening just incase of damaging the boots.

Just a theory but could well be the case....

Hi guys i just saw this thread didint know wat a CV thing is so i didint go in it but thats seems painful reading though all that im thinking about it when i turn it makes a little clicking sound on the front left of my d2 coilover so should i get this checked out its makes a sorta clonking noise clonk clonk clonk till i go straight again :o im really nervious now can someone help me out or explain wats going on and where can i get it checked out and wat i should say

Ty in advance

Steve,

Yep Kaze sounds like another CV in a sportivo has gone. Maybe Toyota should do a recall. I blew both boots and cvs in my last car and drove it around for a year. Eventually you wheel lose steering and there is chance the cv may seperate which can be very dangerous. The stivo cvs and boots are very under engineered. Im thinking about getting them rebuild stonger (if thats possible). Here is a link that explains cvs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint

Edited by VVTLiR

:o man so how do i fix this im still not sure if its a cv problem but its on my left side and i think that the coil is loose mayb but i played wif it the other day and it seems fine but wat should i do now then???

:help:

May even pay to do a pedders 14 dollar safety check.

I've done that last time I had an alignment and they said 'maybe the coilovers are too tight, but we really have no idea'

at the end of the day you'd have to check every component to narrow it down and I'm slowly doing that. As my CV boots have never split I never considered that it was a CV issue. I've suspected bearings but they are fine. I've looked at greasing the suspension bushes in the pillow tops and the noise comes back within days.

I still feel in most cases it's to do with the camber pillow tops. but cannot track down the exact problem.

It may be as Bill (xoom) has done, that you need to replace the entire pillow ball assembly. :(

May even pay to do a pedders 14 dollar safety check.

I've done that last time I had an alignment and they said 'maybe the coilovers are too tight, but we really have no idea'

at the end of the day you'd have to check every component to narrow it down and I'm slowly doing that. As my CV boots have never split I never considered that it was a CV issue. I've suspected bearings but they are fine. I've looked at greasing the suspension bushes in the pillow tops and the noise comes back within days.

I still feel in most cases it's to do with the camber pillow tops. but cannot track down the exact problem.

It may be as Bill (xoom) has done, that you need to replace the entire pillow ball assembly. :(

awww ur scaring me now :unsure: if anything i might even put the old suspension on just to be safe cuz the sound is getting louder and louder each time i drive and it really feels bad lyk somthing is just gonna POP out ill try and find the problem 2mmorow

That's one thing I haven't tried, but I've debated it, I just haven't been bothered to try.

Might give it a go this weekend and see how it feels/sounds.

If the sound continues with the stock suspension then I can put it down to the CVs.

ok...because my car is low...like heaps low...even the guy at toyota freaked out when he saw it..

its not covered under warranty...

to get it reconditoned and refitted they quoted me $350..

to replace the whole drive shaft ur looking at $1300-$1400

my actual cv joint is abit loose...but still safe to drive....will get louder if i dont fix...so all those ppl that think its ur springs....it isnt..its ur cv's lol

i did hit big pot hole with the wheel in question.....

ok...because my car is low...like heaps low...even the guy at toyota freaked out when he saw it..

its not covered under warranty...

to get it reconditoned and refitted they quoted me $350..

to replace the whole drive shaft ur looking at $1300-$1400

my actual cv joint is abit loose...but still safe to drive....will get louder if i dont fix...so all those ppl that think its ur springs....it isnt..its ur cv's lol

i did hit big pot hole with the wheel in question.....

so i should just say check the cv joints and fix it b4 it gets worst right?? if that is my problem :unsure:

now it makes some sense why the corolla come out with such a high ride height ;)

i think that is a good idea in problem solving to change all corners back to original suspension and see how it goes

**** that lol...whos got time to do that!!!!