Cv Joint Boot Failure

Replaced the front struts on the weekend and found i had the same sort of mess, maybe worse, its everywhere. lucky for me my mates old man repairs cv's so it'll only cost me a carton of *****.

I'm pretty sure the damage was done when i had to change the spare wheel on which didn't match the other side of the car.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the boots on the CV's are the same style as all the older corolla's back to the AE92's.

There's plenty of high quality aftermarket boots available.

Running a spare wheel wouldn't cause a boot to fail either. More likely developed a small split when the car was jacked up to change the wheel, then the split only gets bigger.

• 1 month later...

Just an update about the clicking and clunking noises..

I decided to raise the front end of the car by half an inch..so while doing that..

i found out the cause for the noises was actually the sway bay and the linkages to the coilover..

all fixed and no noise now :yahoo:

did i mention that a new drift shaft will cost around $1200...

lol

Thats true, but I'll get you one for $90 ;) ;) ;) ...

$1320 rrp for the drivers side and $1183 rrp for passengers side, this also includes the input shafts for the gearbox.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah. brand new drive shafts are expensive. My drive shaft snapped at the hub-side spleen on the ST162 Celica and Toyota quote me over $1000.

I ended up calling a wrecker and found one (from the flange outwards.) for $50.

My car has been making a grinding sound ever for the past year now, however it was always intermittent (maybe once ever 3-4 weeks), and it would make a sound as im braking (braking while turning, or going straight), then it would disappear and it would be impossible to replicate.

In the last month, its been occuring about once a day, sometimes multiple times in a day, and it happens more frequently where there are two people in the car.

I honestly have no idea what it is, but its a low pitched brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound everytime i brake.

Could something be grinding against my wheel as Im braking??

My car has been making a grinding sound ever for the past year now, however it was always intermittent (maybe once ever 3-4 weeks), and it would make a sound as im braking (braking while turning, or going straight), then it would disappear and it would be impossible to replicate.

In the last month, its been occuring about once a day, sometimes multiple times in a day, and it happens more frequently where there are two people in the car.

I honestly have no idea what it is, but its a low pitched brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound everytime i brake.

Could something be grinding against my wheel as Im braking??

It's most likely the wear indicators on your brake pads. time to change them. I've had the same thing before. the noise doesn't always sound consistent with brake wear but you'll find it's most probably the pads. Metal expands and contracts so you won't always be able to reproduce the noise. it sounds worse with a passenger as the car is slightly heavier and the brakes have to work harder.

replace your pads before your "groove" your rotors.

Edited by qkslvr

sh!t.... i think that might be too late.

Any recommended brake places in Sydney, Rollaboy recommended one, but they were located in Atarmon, i'd rather go somewhere in the west.

Midas in Fairfield on the Horsely drive are good, they mainly do Bendix pads which are decent if you're not a track person. Otherwise, you could try getting some EBC performance pads (I'm going to to try EBC Redstuff next)

• 2 months later...
Ive started to notice a tap tap tap sound when I lock the wheel fully to the right to do a u-turn.

Is this a sign of my CV joints failing?

What is the best course of action from here?

if its already clicking then the damage is already done. And new shafts arn't cheap....