RESONATOR OFF / HOTDOG STYLE = CRAP

BONDIE

Well i decided to get rid of my resonator and put some straight pipe through. Cost me $110 bucks and i got some flanges welded on the straight pipe and the old resonator. Just so i can interchange when i go long distant driving. Or ever decide to go back to standard.

So now, my exhaust is running from the cat back with main stantard resonator, to 2 x brocks straight through resonator mufflers on the back with chrome tips. Didnt want to muck with the cat, incase i cause sensor problems.

And this is what it looks and sounds like.

"Sh*******t, Went to add another clip and deleted my other clip by mistake" = will post up again tommorrow, takes too long to load on youtube. Gotta go out"

post-7809-1226053549_thumb.jpg

post-7809-1226054047_thumb.jpg

Edited by BONDIE

I like the noise.

I love the sound of a deep muffler noise, but mostly from a motorcycle like a nice Guzzi or Ducati.

Yours doesn't sound anything like them of course, but it's sure a pleasant sound. How is it at 110kph on the highway?

• 2 weeks later...

Well i went though a two week experiment, trying to get some beef, a.k.a roar out of the Aurion.

Removing the Resonator, ******Dont bother********** What a dilema!

1st Visit to the Exhaust Shop:

Well as you all know i have removed my orginal mufflers and put some brocks resonators in with tips.

2nd Visit:

Then i had my resonator removed and put a straight pipe through. It was fine when i left the shop, cruized down the highway, nice note at high and low revs. Then parked it up for the night. It wasnt till the next day i went to the shops and had to drive up some steep hills, ..............Holy sh*t, man it was that friggin noisey inside the car, i couldnt hear myself think, nor could i hear my music. So i went and tested it up and down some other hills. Still way too loud. It was even vibrating the sh*t out of my back dash. On the flat was fine, but the hills and the noise it produced out-weighed the nice cruizin sound. The noise comming out was actually embarrasing to drive. I felt like i was in a sh*tty little laser with a milo tin on the back.

3rd Visit

I wanted something sounding, in-between . And to acheive this, i would need a resonator, but something a bit smaller than the orginal one. So i put a hotdog resonator on. I figured it would reduced noise from the straight through pipe, but let more sound in than the massive stock standard resonator.

Again, the noise it produced, was nice. Actually better than the straight through pipe. Highway driving, high and low revs great, sounded beautiful. The real test was to take it back up the hills. Unfortunately it failed......................... big time. It was just as loud as the straight through pipe, embarassing, deafning, and vibrated the sh*t out of the car. I couldnt actually hear my misses talking to me.

4th Visit:

Went back to Stock resonator. Kept the twin brock resonators on back with tips.

Overall:

Taking out the resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe or a hotdog style resonator, will only enhance the noise and make it louder at the rpm it currently produces the growl. The only extra benefit you get out of removing the resonator, is that it rumbles a little as it goes down the gears.

I do not recommend it at all. The noise it produces under excessive load driving up hills, is cheap and nasty, and excessively loud. Not nice loud though, droany loud.

This whole experiment cost me about $150. The muffler shop were great though, they warned me from the begining that its was a trial by trial basis, and different cars produce different sounds with resonators off. I was willing to take the plunge, but unfortunately was disapointed with the end result. Ive never seen a vehicle that has such a difference in noise under load compared to standard driving. Usually a hotdog, opens it up a bit, to produce more roar, but in this case it was a cheap droaning noise.

It actually felt like I lost performance, like i lost the back pressure. When i would give her some off the lights with the modification, it felt a bit sloppy, like i had to push my foot further down to get a kick from her. But i cant back this up with any accurate figures. IMO it just felt a bit sloppy and less responsive than usual.

If anyone wants a free hotdog resonator with flanges welded on, give me a buzz and its yours.

Big Mods on the Aurion Exhaust - dont was your time. Wouldnt even want to think what sort of spew would come out of installing extractors.

Happy with the sound ive got but.........................

............Disapointed.........................im unable to get any more roar out of the Aurion, without making it sound like a cheap commy.

Edited by BONDIE

would the materal the exhaust is made out of make a difference to the sound? i know exhaust shops use different sorts of steel to create various systems

Im unsure....... mabey.

It was weird because cruizing around the flat and on the highway, it had a sweet noise comming from her. But up a hill was such a dramatic change, it turned from sweet to such a loud droan. I reckon its because, it would take longer to push though the 2k barrier and it was under more pressure / load for a longer period of time........going up the hill. It would vertually turn straight to a nasty droan noise and sound would amplify by x 5 easy.

I reckon if a different material would quiet down the "underload" sound, that would quiet down the standard driving, which would defeat the purpose.

Ive had exhausts on various cars, and ive never experienced such a vast difference in sounds at each end, being standard and underload.

I had a better sound from my Holden Captiva. And that was a pissy family Suv wagon.

I think its just the vehicle. Mabey something up the front end, to free up that squashed pipe, might change something. Who knows.

Im giving up though, done and defeated. Got to save for this lip kit before christmas.

Edited by BONDIE

Well i went though a two week experiment, trying to get some beef, a.k.a roar out of the Aurion.

Removing the Resonator, ******Dont bother********** What a dilema!

1st Visit to the Exhaust Shop:

Well as you all know i have removed my orginal mufflers and put some brocks resonators in with tips.

2nd Visit:

Then i had my resonator removed and put a straight pipe through. It was fine when i left the shop, cruized down the highway, nice note at high and low revs. Then parked it up for the night. It wasnt till the next day i went to the shops and had to drive up some steep hills, ..............Holy sh*t, man it was that friggin noisey inside the car, i couldnt hear myself think, nor could i hear my music. So i went and tested it up and down some other hills. Still way too loud. It was even vibrating the sh*t out of my back dash. On the flat was fine, but the hills and the noise it produced out-weighed the nice cruizin sound. The noise comming out was actually embarrasing to drive. I felt like i was in a sh*tty little laser with a milo tin on the back.

3rd Visit

I wanted something sounding, in-between . And to acheive this, i would need a resonator, but something a bit smaller than the orginal one. So i put a hotdog resonator on. I figured it would reduced noise from the straight through pipe, but let more sound in than the massive stock standard resonator.

Again, the noise it produced, was nice. Actually better than the straight through pipe. Highway driving, high and low revs great, sounded beautiful. The real test was to take it back up the hills. Unfortunately it failed......................... big time. It was just as loud as the straight through pipe, embarassing, deafning, and vibrated the sh*t out of the car. I couldnt actually hear my misses talking to me.

4th Visit:

Went back to Stock resonator. Kept the twin brock resonators on back with tips.

Overall:

Taking out the resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe or a hotdog style resonator, will only enhance the noise and make it louder at the rpm it currently produces the growl. The only extra benefit you get out of removing the resonator, is that it rumbles a little as it goes down the gears.

I do not recommend it at all. The noise it produces under excessive load driving up hills, is cheap and nasty, and excessively loud. Not nice loud though, droany loud.

This whole experiment cost me about $150. The muffler shop were great though, they warned me from the begining that its was a trial by trial basis, and different cars produce different sounds with resonators off. I was willing to take the plunge, but unfortunately was disapointed with the end result. Ive never seen a vehicle that has such a difference in noise under load compared to standard driving. Usually a hotdog, opens it up a bit, to produce more roar, but in this case it was a cheap droaning noise.

It actually felt like I lost performance, like i lost the back pressure. When i would give her some off the lights with the modification, it felt a bit sloppy, like i had to push my foot further down to get a kick from her. But i cant back this up with any accurate figures. IMO it just felt a bit sloppy and less responsive than usual.

If anyone wants a free hotdog resonator with flanges welded on, give me a buzz and its yours.

Big Mods on the Aurion Exhaust - dont was your time. Wouldnt even want to think what sort of spew would come out of installing extractors.

Happy with the sound ive got but.........................

............Disapointed.........................im unable to get any more roar out of the Aurion, without making it sound like a cheap commy.

Brilliant report and will save other members heaps of dissappointment........well done mate

Valuable writeup there BONDIE. I guess the only other person here who removed their resonator successfully would be Darius. He's got the advantage of the Varex setup though so he can cut out the noise if required. I'm thinking of going that route, but will need to wait until well into the new year. I thought I would get sick of driving with my exhaust dumped, but I find myself driving like 80% of the time with it open. I just can't help it.

But yeah, you're right about the Aurion and its large variation in engine noise. I'm guessing because it is so well tuned. Like with nothing behind the resonator, the car idles pretty much silently, yet has a strong note when driving, and a sweet a** sound at redline (especially through a tunnel; ICB FTW). I've also noticed with mine that it sounds louder or quieter on different days. Haven't figured out why, but maybe temperature related.

awesome write up BONDIE... well done... :)

shame on the outcome, but great write up either way...

after i get the intake done on my car, thats it for mods forever...

car is gonna be sold in the new year, so no point wasting more money on it... (but i really really really badly want this intake before i sell it!! LOL)

awesome write up BONDIE... well done... :)

shame on the outcome, but great write up either way...

after i get the intake done on my car, thats it for mods forever...

car is gonna be sold in the new year, so no point wasting more money on it... (but i really really really badly want this intake before i sell it!! LOL)

selling it :o why?? and what are you going to get?? an upgrade from a TRD is pretty hard!!

Why selling Ash? We need more TRD Aurions in TOCAU Brisbane!

yeh we need to keep our 4 or 5 aurion drivers that come to the meet ups and cruises in brisbane (6 if BONDIE hardened up and came out ;) ) haha theres too many corollas out there!!

yeh we need to keep our 4 or 5 aurion drivers that come to the meet ups and cruises in brisbane (6 if BONDIE hardened up and came out ;) ) haha theres too many corollas out there!!

He won't be in Brisbane either, so it's a double whammy :P

LOL,

Ill come for a cruize with yas when work settles down a bit. Misses will bagg me out though.

LOL,

Misses already gives me enough curry about being on this site. She calls it the wesite where males go to compare their shlongs. I told her..... surely there is a tea cosy to knit, some eggs that need fertilising or a womens weekly that hasnt been read yet.

Atleast us boys are doing something contrustive. LOL

Edited by BONDIE

Hehe mine gives me a hard time too...refers to this site as "you and your Toyota friends"....Thursday nights I tell her I'm at work so I can go for the meetup :D

LOL, Maaaaan, now that is pisssssssssssssssss funny. Nice work.

Edited by BONDIE

speaking of meets.

i wonder if i'd by banished by the brisvegas toyota folk if a victorian toyota person drives up in his aurion :P

(pondering going up there in a few months time, wouldnt mind to meet some of the tocau brissy guys), needs mah HID's first tho.

speaking of meets.

i wonder if i'd by banished by the brisvegas toyota folk if a victorian toyota person drives up in his aurion :P

(pondering going up there in a few months time, wouldnt mind to meet some of the tocau brissy guys), needs mah HID's first tho.

Banished for what? Man, Northy rocks up in his VE SS complete with NSW plates and fits in fine. You are more than welcome to meet. Some of us might even see you at the Annual Meet next year.

selling it :o why?? and what are you going to get?? an upgrade from a TRD is pretty hard!!
He won't be in Brisbane either, so it's a double whammy :P

well, i havent decided yet... i have way to many options on my plate right now..

its a long story... but basically, i'm moving to Newcastle for work for 6-10mths...

earning a lot more money down there... so most likely gonna buy a place back in brisbane...

but then the problem comes with this whole "market" right now... so i might not buy a place...

and then there is also a job opportunity in dubai... but who knows if that comes through... lol

but basically, if i DONT go overseas and i DONT but a place, i'll be looking at getting into a lexus is-f... :ph34r:

Edited by SecaBoy

but basically, if i DONT go overseas and i DONT but a place, i'll be looking at getting into a lexus is-f... :ph34r:

This makes me forgive you for selling the TRD....and makes me a little tight in my pants too.

:ph34r: