rattle on takeoff

hey all

when i take off sometimes there is a rattle, only at low rpm, its not a stalling rattle, and only sometimes there, sounds like a drive belt tentioner or something, it happens in all kinds of weather all kinds of road conditions, when im doing say 15km/h and rolling in 2nd, if the revs are low enough it will rattle, but doesnt feel like its going to stall..

again hard to describe, i should get a vid, hard when my iPhone only does pics

any help or ideas what it could be would be appreciated

btw how much would a new serp belt and tentioner cost??

ta in advance, Dan.

Edited by 123R-Prozak

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My car does the same thing. :S

As does mine. My last service I asked toyota to inspect it for me. They brought it down to something to do with the airconditioner (cant remember specifically what it was), and was going to cost a considerable amount to fix.

I find that if you give it more revs or a bit more clutch it does not sound.

well the 1zz's have a common problem with the tensioners having a rattling sound. ive never heard of it before with the stivos but im guessing it could be related..

wen i got my stivo, i made sure the sales bloke threw in the "dampener" as well.. that apparently is the correct terminology for it.

kevin.

I tightened the bolts on the upper heat shield for the exhaust header on the weekend, and this has caused a new hi pitched buzz at startup and momentarily at low revs when the engine is cold. This weekend I think I will put them back to the limp wristed tightness they were at before. :blink:

Gav.

I tightened the bolts on the upper heat shield for the exhaust header on the weekend, and this has caused a new hi pitched buzz at startup and momentarily at low revs when the engine is cold. This weekend I think I will put them back to the limp rested tightness they were at before. :blink:

Gav.

Torque Wrench maybe ???

:P :P :P :P

Hmm i work at Holden, and I know the astra has this aswell, worse whn ac is on, it's a revised alternator pulley aka dampener, works 100%!! is there a revised or superseeded part we should know about???

Someone give Toyota a call and ask lol

Hmm i work at Holden, and I know the astra has this aswell, worse whn ac is on, it's a revised alternator pulley aka dampener, works 100%!! is there a revised or superseeded part we should know about???

prozak, have you got any further with this?

I had this problem a 2003 SPortivo I owned. I kep taking back to Toyota & they tried to blame anything & everything that was modified on my car. The noise was so painful that I changed all my modifications back to standard & found that the noise was still there, surprise, surprise. I went back to Toyota & told them to keep the car until they figure out what is wrong. After about 7 working days (it was a hassle being without my car) I got a phone call from the service manager advising thay had located the problem. I was told the bracket that holds the alternator had come lose. When I took off from stand still in particular, it put the bracket under load & it would rattle. Once this was fixed probelm went way never to return. Fortunaltey for me this was all covered by Warranty.

Toyota is hopeless. All they want to do is hook the car up to a computer, if the computer says everything is O.K. than according to them there is nothing wrong & nothing they can for you. It was only though my persistance & constand arguing that the problem was fixed. I would have liked to send Toyota an invoice for all the time of mine that they wasted with their poor customer service & there biligerent attititude to resolving issues out of the norm.

I hope this helps

prozak, have you got any further with this?

sorry no, just put music louder, i have zero money, saving for court, once i find out whats happening in court, and i have money left over ill get a tentioner and let u know, by the sounds of it and everyones response its a tentioner, that or the alternator brack lol, ill give the bracket a tighten when i get a chance and let u's know

I'm not sure if I've got the same kind of "rattling" as you guys.

But mine does rattle from low RPM, on 1st and 2nd gears. I haven't noticed the air con issue, but mine sounds like there's a 5 cent coin rattling away somewhere under the bonnet.

Same problem? <_<

sorry no, just put music louder, i have zero money, saving for court, once i find out whats happening in court, and i have money left over ill get a tentioner and let u know, by the sounds of it and everyones response its a tentioner, that or the alternator brack lol, ill give the bracket a tighten when i get a chance and let u's know

Okay thanks mate. Got a quote from a dealer up here on the coast and for them to get the drive belt tensioner part down from brisbane and fitted ill be looking at $462.12. I will also have a look for a lose alternator bracket with my fingers crossed it is that.

I'm not sure if I've got the same kind of "rattling" as you guys.

But mine does rattle from low RPM, on 1st and 2nd gears. I haven't noticed the air con issue, but mine sounds like there's a 5 cent coin rattling away somewhere under the bonnet.

Same problem? <_<

Does sound similar. Will have a detailed inspection when i find some time. Thanks young.

EDIT: Guys just thinking about it, if it was the tensioner wouldn't it rattle all the time?

Edited by JSTCHLN

Wow when i was first reading this thread i didn't even think that this could be the same problem that my car was having. But now that I think about it, it could be. My problem is that when I start the car and leave it to idle, the car makes a rattling noise like "young." said, a 5c coin rattling away somewhere under the bonnet. The noise is constantlly there. I can't really hear it whilst at speed but whenever i'm stopped and idling its there

I'm no mechanic so would someone be able to tell me what to look for when looking for the drive belt tensioner or the alternator bracket? (yes i know where the alternator is but not sure what to tighten)

Edited by azzman372

i wonder if i have the same issue. it rattles pulling away in first gear/basically that initial period til the car has momentum. then its gone.

Another situation, approaching a speed bump in second gear - slow down, then accelerate - it makes that rattling again. Also with A/C on

i think its a bit noisier on pull away.

If u don't have it replace soonest, i guess something really nasty could happen to the engine?

Wow when i was first reading this thread i didn't even think that this could be the same problem that my car was having. But now that I think about it, it could be. My problem is that when I start the car and leave it to idle, the car makes a rattling noise like "young." said, a 5c coin rattling away somewhere under the bonnet. The noise is constantlly there. I can't really hear it whilst at speed but whenever i'm stopped and idling its there

I'm no mechanic so would someone be able to tell me what to look for when looking for the drive belt tensioner or the alternator bracket? (yes i know where the alternator is but not sure what to tighten)

Only difference is that mine rattles while moving. Throw it on N and rev it abit, it rattles away... :rolleyes:

Can this cause any damage? <_<