rattle on takeoff

I have the rattle as described( rattle in 1st,2nd at low rpm, sounds worse with air con on, give it more boot to avoid the noise )

Just to clarify here am i looking to replace:

Timing chain tensionor( is that what a belt tensioner is? ),

Belt tensioner,

something to do with the airconditioner,

the "dampener",

revised alternator pulley aka dampener,

the bracket that holds the alternator on or

drive belt tensioner?

Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the rattle as described( rattle in 1st,2nd at low rpm, sounds worse with air con on, give it more boot to avoid the noise )

Just to clarify here am i looking to replace:

Timing chain tensionor( is that what a belt tensioner is? ),

Belt tensioner,

something to do with the airconditioner,

the "dampener",

revised alternator pulley aka dampener,

the bracket that holds the alternator on or

drive belt tensioner?

The timing chain tensioner is different to the accessory belt tensioner. The timing chain tensioner requires removing the head to change and it isn't that that is causing the noise.

'TMoney' thinks the rattle might be caused by the pulley itself, there is a guide on Matrix Owners forums. Usually the whole accessory belt tensioner assembly is replaced at great cost, so if this pulley change fixes it this would be a vastly cheaper solution.

spoke to a tech at toyota, he says he doesnt replace the whole tentioner he does just the pulley as mentioned in that matrix xrs thread... i will be trying to get an ACDELCO pulley part number #88916640 ... shall see how we go aye...

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I've bought the gates pulley for $22 ! Who wants to do it for me? Lol as I dnt drive and the car is a weekend drive I'll be taking it to work when I get my licence back nxt year so ill do it then along with my outer cv's.

Sorry this will be 7 Jan

i hope this is the right part lol

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,64...ATES_38018.html

38018.jpg

Edited by 123R-Prozak

• 2 weeks later...

okay im on holidays... with not many tools i was bored and decided to give this a go... i took the engine mount off.. wheel, and great difficulty got the belt off... and as for that weird bolt on the tentioner.. it was a mission.. i couldnt get it off so i just put the belt back on, and mount and wheel and left it... ill re-attempt it when i return to work lol

COMPLETE FAILURE :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: FINISHED :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

She purs like a kitten and no rattle, went for a 20min drive with ac on... im in love again !!!

only prob is i had to use vice grips to get that bolt off the pulley...

22571_103182299706118_100000430449890_81944_6254836_n.jpg

22571_103182303039451_100000430449890_81945_8012270_n.jpg

22571_103182306372784_100000430449890_81946_7244900_n.jpg

awesome work - about time someone figured it out... might do mine in the next couple of days, see how it goes.

make sure your hand is strong on a spanner for that 17mm LOL tight like a tiger... also dnt dent the sump when jacking the engine to remove that 17mm bolt.. use a block of wooood !!! good luck and i hope your as happy as i am !!!

note after fixing one problem, i noticed i had coolant stains under my waterpump, i check the level regurly and never have to touch the coolant level since i bought the car, feb... ill keep an eye on it but if it gets worse ill need to replace it :angry:

Pretty sure I have the same issue with my 1zz...

Just wondering whether the part numbers are the same and where the best place in Brissy is to pick one up.

Also, if anyone could give a rough idea as to how long it should take to install the pulley, that would help me heaps in getting a good quote. Thanks.

if it is the same problem the guy at global told me the 2zz and 1zz corollas share the same pulley for this part, however the celica pulley is different i was told. any auto shop like global and cheapa auto spares etc should have these in stock. obviously they can double check all the numbers (listings and size etc..)

Edited by Sport_ivo

if it is the same problem the guy at global told me the 2zz and 1zz corollas share the same pulley for this part, however the celica pulley is different i was told. any auto shop like global and cheapa auto spares etc should have these in stock. obviously they can double check all the numbers (listings and size etc..)

Thanks heaps. Will go and grap that part next week and see if I can get it fitted for a decent price.