Paint Protection

I'm thinking of buying a new Corolla Sportivo and the dealers recommend paying extra for paint protection. However I spoke to a spray painter/panel beater who said it was a waste of money. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking of buying a new Corolla Sportivo and the dealers recommend paying extra for paint protection. However I spoke to a spray painter/panel beater who said it was a waste of money. What do you guys think?

Exactly what your mate saud "Waste of time! and money"

Go down to supersheap or auto barn and get yourself $100 worth of good cleaning product and you will acheive the same result and also be able to keep it that way for AGES!!!!!!

no car is goin to remain inpefect conditionn (exterior), no matter what protection you put on it or how much you pay its pointless. Paint protection does what exactly ? i was told that it made keying your car harder than usual.. umm well if that was true everyone would have it because my mums falcon we paid all that extra stuff does jack ****.if its not sumone keying it then it s a rock bouncing of ya rolla from the one in front :P

no car is goin to remain inpefect conditionn (exterior), no matter what protection you put on it or how much you pay its pointless. Paint protection does what exactly ? i was told that it made keying your car harder than usual.. umm well if that was true everyone would have it because my mums falcon we paid all that extra stuff does jack ****.if its not sumone keying it then it s a rock bouncing of ya rolla from the one in front :P

Welcome back Nick... Long time no see :)

I have assesed your use of English on your last post, and I have given you an C+.

This lifts your overall average from a D+ to a C-.

Cheers

I agree Mum put that stuff on her civic and it doesnt do squat. It actually makes it harder for u to was ur car cuz the car wash liqiud they give u doesnt lather all that well n u have to wash it with a bucket cuz u cant take it to a car wash since they use recycled water n chemicals. Plus u cant use polish on it, say if u get a sctratch.

so buy urself a tub of meguires car wax ($25 from autobarn) when u first buy it. Then every 6 mths or so give it a good polish and wax. It should do the same thing.

paint protection = scam

I was very happy with the paint protection when I bought my MR Lancer in 2000, after every wash with the stuff they supplied the car came up beautifully and felt 'glassy' to the touch. Then I got side-swiped, and the stuff was re-applied, I got rear-ended and then I hit a kangaroo and then I got 'T-boned' and somewhere in the middle of all that I didn't get it reapplied but began using Meguires polishes and giving myself a good work out once a month.

I was more impressed with the Meguires waxes and polishes than I ever was with the paint protection. I didn't know that it could get better until it was.

Then I got rear-ended by a 4WD with a trailer of bricks. I was stationary, he was doing about 60km/h. My Lancer became a Mirage and was written off. I bought a Black 3Dr RAV4 and after 9months I had pin-holes in the paint all over the bonnet, roof and top edges of the front guards. All this even though I DID buy the paint protection... not happy.

My new Stivo has no paint protection, just a carport it sleeps in and an owner that loves it. Remember that polishing does take of a thin layer of paint - just check the pads and cloths once you're done. This is a bigger problem than it used to be cause PPG (king of paint manufacturers) is prescribing 70nm thickness for their paints... yes, that's VERY thin. You SHOULDN'T polish your car EVERY time you wash it, just when it begins looking dull.

PS: when u think it's looking dull, leave it 2 more weeks :) (everyone gets overzealous)

AS a car detailer it's a waste of money and really is just a polish of some description that the dealer buys for about $30 hten charges you about $500 or something like that. Easy money spinner! Just go and buy Meguiars or Bowden's polishes and waxes and do it yourself or pay a professional to do a professional job. The results achieved with a polish and wax will be a silky smooth finish with a high gloss and a wax coating to protect your paint surface from contaminents and, bird poop,water spots and the like and make it easy to wash and chamois B)

Actually, this all brings me to another topic.

Today I washed my car and gave it a good detailing. I use nothing but Maguires.

I used Maguires Endurance High Gloss and applied two coatings to my tyres when I washed my car.

After my day out and my cruise to Ballarat and back I sat it in my garage and flicked on the lights so I could give it a quick scrub down.

I've noticed that the high gloss gel spins off the wheels and leaves stains on the paint job. It took me ages with my Chamois to rub it all off and I'm wondering if there is any other way to remove that gunk next time I apply the gel and go for a spin.

Yes, the bottle says you can prevent some of the spin off by removing the gel from the grooves of your tyres.

Is there a better product to use which does not do this to the paint work, or another method?

Thanks!