Best Oil

Hi All,

I am just 500km's away from my 20,000km service and am after some advice on what the best oil is to use in my Sportivo. I've only owned the car since 18,000kms so am wanting to have it changed just to be sure.

Someone suggested to me Castrol Synthetic Formula R 0W-30, any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I am just 500km's away from my 20,000km service and am after some advice on what the best oil is to use in my Sportivo.  I've only owned the car since 18,000kms so am wanting to have it changed just to be sure.

Someone suggested to me Castrol Synthetic Formula R 0W-30, any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.

My mechanic at Toyota reckon Magnetec. I've Motul before and thats ok. Both are fairly expensive....

Really hard to tell the difference in performance... But using Magnetec with a TRD performance oil filter felt like a good combination of protection and a incredibly small if not none gain in performance...

Edited by !*heatseca*!

Hi All,

I am just 500km's away from my 20,000km service and am after some advice on what the best oil is to use in my Sportivo.  I've only owned the car since 18,000kms so am wanting to have it changed just to be sure.

Thanks.

My mechanic at Toyota reckon Magnetec. I've Motec before and thats ok. Both are fairly expensive....

Really hard to tell the difference in performance... But using Magnetec with a TRD performance oil filter felt like a good combination of protection and a incredibly small if not none gain in performance...

motec make ECU...

with most oil changes, most would feel the engine revs smoother and a whee bit more torque anyway.

Castrol Magnatec gives out a strange and strong burning smell after a quick rev. did that on 2 friend's cars, one was a DC2 and one was SSS.

Magnatec is rubbish. Go with a semi synthetic if your driving is predominately on the street and use a full synthetic if your doing some serious track work. I use Penrite Semi synthetic HPR 10.

Magnitec works wonders in horizontally opposed engines (Subaru, Porsche, old VW) but has this 'premature burning' characteristic in other styles of engine...

heatseca - I think you're thinking of Motul...

Hate to say it Blue stivo but it's rubbish in VW's as well. I've tried it my orange and white block of flats and you think you get a burning smell in a water cooled engine..... In my car it smelled like the Exxon Valdez after it dumped all that oil and caught fire!!! It also caused my oil temp to be hotter than normal.

OK, it worked great in my old '86 Subie Wagon and was recommended by the Subaru service guys (Eblen Subaru in Adelaide who at that stage were the only 5 star dealer/service center in Australia)

OK, it worked great in my old '86 Subie Wagon and was recommended by the Subaru service guys (Eblen Subaru in Adelaide who at that stage were the only 5 star dealer/service center in Australia)

My mistake! :P Motul! It has been a while since i used it...

And I have used the Penrite semi synthetic one as well...

Hi All,

Thanks.

I think there's only Castrol Synthetic Formula R 5W30 and 0W40, the 5W30 is around $45 and the 0W40 is around $69. I use the 5W30 but i am noticing a drastic increase in fuel consumption after i skipped my 25,000km service (am now at 27,000kms). I always get oil changed every 5000kms but not this time. I guess the oil is starting to get a bit thick.

this topic has been covered B4 ....... as have ALOT of these things :(

I think we should make a definitive report on poarts spring fluids etc.

Alot of the fluids come down to personal preference.

My preferance for motor fluids are

Motor Oil - Fuch's Titan Super GTO10w30 (full synthetic) $120/20L

Gearbox Oil - Redline Oils MT90 or Redline Oils Shockproof $29/Quart

Coolant - Redline Oils Water Wetter

Brake Fluid - Motul DOT 5.1

my dealer said that I should not use fully synthetic oil on my stivo 05 as they say it is not that thick and the engine tends to wear much faster compared to semi-syn. so i ened up using the semi-syn oil the dealer supplied. they said that i should use the fully syn oil only when my car has done >20000 km.

any comment on this or it's just the bullsh!t?

Sorry to hear about everyone bad experiences on Magnatec.

I used it from new in my last car (Hyundai Accent).

It covered 62,000km before I sold it, it never burnt a drop of oil, never blew smoke nor smelt like it.

I would use it again on the new car (05 Sportivo) except Castrol recommend Formula R 5W-30 (for fast fours and latest technology engines).

My family has used this variant of Formula R in 4 GenIII's (from both the Holden and HSV family) as well as in a new V6 Prado.

None of those vehicles used a drop of oil and all of the GenIII's were driven very "spiritedly" on a day to day basis. (note: services occurred every 5,000km)

At the end of the day everyone has their own preferences, but I thought I would share my experiences and findings.

Where do you buy the Fuchs in 20 litre containers ?

I would love to know !

Direct from FUCH's :)

or you can order them through 'walkers' AUTO#1 stores

P.S - Also change the oil and filter every 5000 K's due to the engines high reving :rolleyes:

Edited by Danthuyer

Where do you buy the Fuchs in 20 litre containers ?

I would love to know !

Direct from FUCH's :)

or you can order them through 'walkers' AUTO#1 stores

P.S - Also change the oil and filter every 5000 K's due to the engines high reving :rolleyes:

I think i better get my oil changed :P

<_< i wouldnt personally use anything that thin (5/30) in a genIII.... the rings in those engines were never the best anyway, let alone with oil that thin....

i use catrol XT10-30 in my car (1ZZFE), that is what the toyota technicians recommend at toyota engine school (for their apprentices).... the oil is hard to find, and many stores reckon they have never heard of it, but i manage to get it from auto pro.... i change my oil and filter every 5,000 - 7,000 kms and they always manage to keep a bottle of my oil in stock for me :D

TITAN CFX 10W30 is the recommended FUCHS oil for he 2ZZ engine (you need to search under celica for it as it only has the 1ZZ corolla)

TITAN SUPER GTO 10W30 MC is recommended for the 1ZZ

TITAN GEAR 75W90 is recommended for both transmissions.... :)

cheers for the link Bill, that was very useful!!! Where to get from in NSW? I'd like to get changed to these oils at next service... :D

Edited by Blue_Stivo

Hi Dylan,

I thought the same also until i did some more research. The Super GTO is 10-30 just like the CFX EXCEPT the GTO is rated against all the latest ratings and is actually a newer blend of the oil meeting all the newer standard.

Or i could have saved a crap load of time and rang the company in the 1st instance and they confirmed for me (after i had done all the research :( :( :( ) the GTO is newer than the CFX and is actually its replacement.... Oh and i told them to update their database as it says we should get the CFX.... BUT they suggested the GTO instead as indicated because its the better oil as it has been rated against the newer oil rating system.

i.e GTO is SAE 10W-30 API SL/CF ILSAC GF-3

CFX is SAE 10W-30 API SJ ILSAC GF-1, GF-2

API SL has more stringent and is the newer standard and required a higher grade of oil than a SJ oil. And also the same applys for ISLAC GF-3 is better than GF-1 & GF-2. Trust me dylan i did a crap load of research on this one ;) ;) ;) ;)

Funny thing is when i rang them the guy recommended i use the GT1 rated at 0W-20 but i think that might be a bit to thin.

I usually get mine from Auto One in Seven Hills but considering that might be a bit of a drive for u :P :P :P try Auto One Wollongong

Address: 421 Crown St

Phone: 02 4226 6660

Give them a buzz n ask them so u dont waste ur time going in

cheers

Bill

TITAN CFX 10W30 is the recommended FUCHS oil for he 2ZZ engine (you need to search under celica for it as it only has the 1ZZ corolla)

TITAN SUPER GTO 10W30 MC is recommended for the 1ZZ

TITAN GEAR 75W90 is recommended for both transmissions....  :)

cheers for the link Bill, that was very useful!!! Where to get from in NSW? I'd like to get changed to these oils at next service... :D

Cheers for that Bill... I never doubt your research as I know you are always very thorough... I just thought it wierd that they recommended a different oil on the database but now I'm satisfied :) ahhhhhhh :lol::lol:

<_<  i wouldnt personally use anything that thin (5/30) in a genIII.... the rings in those engines were never the best anyway, let alone with oil that thin....

i use catrol XT10-30 in my car (1ZZFE), that is what the toyota technicians recommend at toyota engine school (for their apprentices).... the oil is hard to find, and many stores reckon they have never heard of it, but i manage to get it from auto pro....  i change my oil and filter every 5,000 - 7,000 kms and they always manage to keep a bottle of my oil in stock for me  :D

Your right Jade, the rings in the GenIII's weren't the best and many owners had alot of problems (rebuilds and even new engines to resolve).

5w-30 is what Castrol recommends for that engine and to be honest 4 GenIII's cant be wrong. None of these vehicles ever used a drop of oil and 3 of the 4 covered over 80,000km's before sold.

The 5w-30 oil was used from the first 1000km service right through to the end of ownership with no hassles.

That has to say something right?

after the recommendation from another member  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  i to am also a fuchs man.

TITAN Super GTO all the way (10-30)

http://www.fuchs.com.au/html/passenger_car_engine_oil.html

Only too happy to help ;)

Its amazing what you can find out when you actauly speak to the manufacteur's technicians on the phone :D Also helps to have one of their offices just down the road from you :rolleyes:

<_<  i wouldnt personally use anything that thin (5/30) in a genIII.... the rings in those engines were never the best anyway, let alone with oil that thin....

i use catrol XT10-30 in my car (1ZZFE), that is what the toyota technicians recommend at toyota engine school (for their apprentices).... the oil is hard to find, and many stores reckon they have never heard of it, but i manage to get it from auto pro....  i change my oil and filter every 5,000 - 7,000 kms and they always manage to keep a bottle of my oil in stock for me  :D

Your right Jade, the rings in the GenIII's weren't the best and many owners had alot of problems (rebuilds and even new engines to resolve).

5w-30 is what Castrol recommends for that engine and to be honest 4 GenIII's cant be wrong. None of these vehicles ever used a drop of oil and 3 of the 4 covered over 80,000km's before sold.

The 5w-30 oil was used from the first 1000km service right through to the end of ownership with no hassles.

That has to say something right?

Hate to break this to you but our cars don't have genIII's :P :P :D