INJEN CAI installed

Hey guys,

Me, shinobi and Dwee installed our Injen cold air intakes today. Everything went fine. Suction starts about 3.5/4 all the way to 6 redline. Slight improvement in torque at mid range. Anyways..

I just got a phone call from shinobi saying his engine light just came on while driving. Any ideas of why this is happening? Im pretty sure we installed it all correctly. I drove my car home, trip was about 20mins and my engine light didnt come on. HELP??

Installs all go well? How did you guys deal with the lower bracket and the silicone hose? did you make up another bracket and cut the silicone?

Beat me to it guys... How long did the install take?

Installs went well. Mine went first and the others were pretty straight forward. We didnt do anything about the lower bracket, you could if you wanted to.. find some way of mounting it. We all left the silicone hose as it was. If you got foglights which you do being a zr, once you put ur bumper back in place it will sit nice and firm. We used tape as a temporary way of stopping water coming in. We think that mite be an issue so we're gonna spend another day and try to waterproof it a bit more if we can. We'll definitely get the hydroshield for it though. Took about 2.5-3hrs on each. We werent rushing or anything.

Big thanks to tomee and pete today. And charlie for the emergency help wen we needed it!

Installs all go well? How did you guys deal with the lower bracket and the silicone hose? did you make up another bracket and cut the silicone?

Beat me to it guys... How long did the install take?

Installs went well. Mine went first and the others were pretty straight forward. We didnt do anything about the lower bracket, you could if you wanted to.. find some way of mounting it. We all left the silicone hose as it was. If you got foglights which you do being a zr, once you put ur bumper back in place it will sit nice and firm. We used tape as a temporary way of stopping water coming in. We think that mite be an issue so we're gonna spend another day and try to waterproof it a bit more if we can. We'll definitely get the hydroshield for it though. Took about 2.5-3hrs on each. We werent rushing or anything.

Big thanks to tomee and pete today. And charlie for the emergency help wen we needed it!

Awesome! now im not the only person to have the INJEN CAI lol, im in the process of making up a new bracket for the elbow, as well as making up a air intake tube with some mesh to keep out the nasty stuff like bugs, but i need another week or 2 to get it all together, hopefully it will all work out

I told him to reset the ECU again, see if that helps.

reseting the ECU may help, otherwise he may need to clean the MAF sensor which may be dirty (jaycar electronics electrical cleaning solvent/green can should do the trick) otherwise it's a very sensitive sensor, mine was like that for a week, took it to toyota and they said it was nothing to worry about, it was just sensitive that's all

g'day all. first off big thanks to johnny, peter and charlie for run down of the cai installation and team efforts in getting it done. suction is best. probably the best money spent.

thanks johnny for beating me in posting engine light cai thread. yes the engine light comes on full **** myself thinking car will stall whilst driving but after speaking to peter, johnny and charlie, the problem is the maf sensor. again, like charlie mentioned, it's really sensitive.

i bought the electrical cleaner and will test in the next hour or so. will let you guys know how it goes.

i've resetted the ecu like twice but engine light keeps coming on after about 30 mins of driving.

so i hope this works!!!

cheers.

tom

------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

okay i used the electronic cleaner, so far so good. that thing dries quick and i spray a decent amount on it. looks and smells clean.

took it for a quick test drive around the block, no engine light. but will update again if it comes on.

cheers.

Edited by shin0bi
  • Like 1

UPDATE:

okay i used the electronic cleaner, so far so good. that thing dries quick and i spray a decent amount on it. looks and smells clean.

took it for a quick test drive around the block, no engine light. but will update again if it comes on.

cheers.

Good to hear mate! Hope it stays that way. :)

Edited by dwee.

I couldnt wait, just installed my Injen CAI.

All i can say is wow! I didnt expect such a boost in performance. I think the Injen works/ may work better when you have the exhaust done, as im pretty sure i gained aropund 5-10kw mid range power for sure and more torque to boot. It pulls much harder from 3,000-6,500. Has changed my exhaust note, nice and meaty now, it was good before but now it sounds like i wanted. Intake sound is growly from 3-5 onwards. The little ZRE can breathe now, no more pre-pubescent Chief Wiggum asthma stylie any more. :yahoo:

No engine light so far, fingers crossed. I only ran the car for 20 min and no light yet. B)

I suspect the MAF may get coated with a thin film of oil from the filter, that may cause the light to come on...

Who else is going to join the Injen clan?? :clap:

Well done mate! Couldn't wait huh?! :D

In regards with the maf sensor, you may be right with the oil from the filter or as someone else said, it could be just the ecu not coping with the sudden change of air (which doesn't make much sense because the ecu was restarted?).

Peter.

All i can say is wow! I didnt expect such a boost in performance. I think the Injen works/ may work better when you have the exhaust done, as im pretty sure i gained aropund 5-10kw mid range power for sure and more torque to boot. It pulls much harder from 3,000-6,500. Has changed my exhaust note, nice and meaty now, it was good before but now it sounds like i wanted. Intake sound is growly from 3-5 onwards. The little ZRE can breathe now, no more pre-pubescent Chief Wiggum asthma stylie any more. :yahoo:

No engine light so far, fingers crossed. I only ran the car for 20 min and no light yet. B)

I suspect the MAF may get coated with a thin film of oil from the filter, that may cause the light to come on...

good stuff Pete! now you know how i feel LOL....so much more mid range torque compared to a drop in replacement filter which just sounded throatier, and yes it does perform a little better when the exhaust gets don.

hey Dwee any word from tommy yet? has he said anything?

as for the INJEN clan.....Master.Coung im looking at you...LOL

Yeah, Thomo said it's all good!

Have any of you ZRE boys put yours down the 1/4 mile yet? I want to see figures.

Not sure about anyone doing 1/4 mile yet.. but I've got a baseline for dyno? :)

good stuff Pete! now you know how i feel LOL....so much more mid range torque compared to a drop in replacement filter which just sounded throatier, and yes it does perform a little better when the exhaust gets don.

hey Dwee any word from tommy yet? has he said anything?

as for the INJEN clan.....Master.Coung im looking at you...LOL

hey charlie,

thanks for the help earlier today. i sprayed the sh*t out of the maf and put it back in. drove it and it seems to be okay.. no engine light so far.. will drive an hour to work tomorrow and hopefully wen i get to work and there's no engine light, pretty sure what you told me will do the trick. will keep you updated.

tom

UPDATE: drove to work this morning for 1 hr + and no engine light came on. i guess its fine now thanks to charlie. so one way to fix engine light coming on after installing a cold air intake is to get electronic contact cleaner or similar and spray the MAF sensor then reset ecu and should be fine!

get it cuong!!!!

hungryforarolla, the injen SP2079 should fit the sedan i dont see why it wouldn't. u can get it from any injen supplier from aus or go ebay and search up the model number.

cheers, tom

hay, just wanted to know if the INJEN CAI would fit on th sedan and where bouts it's bought

I believe it will fit the sedan (as I heard/read it is for US sedan, so that's why it is tight squeeze for zre hatches)

ebay: Click!

Injen CAI part number: SP2079 BLK or Chrome Click!

Peter.

Edited by dwee.

hay, just wanted to know if the INJEN CAI would fit on th sedan and where bouts it's bought

the INJEN cai should fit your car as it was designed for the sedan(XRS), since the US didnt have any hatchback models, i dont see why it wouldnt fit

wow good stuff guys ! :toast:

im tempted to have one put into my car :)

not anytime soon though haha

rear shocks stuffed up recently and rego's coming up :(

Evening all,

Regarding engine light. after driving home today, about 30 mins of driving BAM guess what? engine light comes on. Wonder what the problem is.. as mentioned before maybe my car is just not used to the increased airflow? should i give it time to get used to it?

hey dutchie, i noticed ! its awesome :D

cheers. tom

hey guys i was planning to get injen cai too, but not sure if the sportivo zze123 and zze122r(my model 2003) r the same or different???i was planning to get RD2075P on ebay matrix xrs but not sure if it would fit... :unsure: thanks