INJEN CAI installed

i love how toyota's lack of technical support works ..... lol ..... we'll just replace the whole manifold .... that will fix it ..... hey atleast they havent pulled out the zip ties and tried to convince u that they can solve ur issue with them ...... by any chance can they give u a code or ecu error .... something that we could use to work from ..... generally a CEL is also accompanied by an error code ..... that would go a long way into trying to work out if its something major or minor thats the issue .... i mean could be a simple as a dud sensor somewhere .... u just dont know ............ dont get so worked up and upset by this ..... this is the joys of modifying a car ;)

g'day xoom,

ty for reply. the error code from the obdII scanner is p0171

yeah im kinda over it now. i dose it here and then lol. its just annoying to see the light.

ok so that code im pretty sure means

P0171 - System To Lean (bank 1 )

that to me sounds like maybe the extra air ur getting into the system is not being catered for by ur maf or maybe that u have a leak from somewhere ..... now as has previously been suggested go get ur car dynoed and get the air/fuel ratio on the sheet and if it appears to be fine then just ignore it ??????

now mind u i read many many many posts from other forums regarding this error and spotted lots of people spend lots of cash to fix it only to not get it sorted .....

if ur really worried then ur best bet might be to resort to stock until a solution can be found if ever found ....

has anyone of you guys actually tried to contact injen to see what they have to say for themselves ?

here is a good read to show u how annoying this issue is gonna get http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9206 you will also notice a few ppl have continued to drive their cars as their option.

Xoom, we have gone thru all this, its all been discussed in this thread. Might pay to read the whole thread B)

Also, not everyone is having such troubles...

ah yes ..... top of page 3 .... sorry my mistake ......

i love how toyota's lack of technical support works ..... lol ..... we'll just replace the whole manifold .... that will fix it ..... hey atleast they havent pulled out the zip ties and tried to convince u that they can solve ur issue with them ...... by any chance can they give u a code or ecu error .... something that we could use to work from ..... generally a CEL is also accompanied by an error code ..... that would go a long way into trying to work out if its something major or minor thats the issue .... i mean could be a simple as a dud sensor somewhere .... u just dont know ............ dont get so worked up and upset by this ..... this is the joys of modifying a car ;)

g'day xoom,

ty for reply. the error code from the obdII scanner is p0171

yeah im kinda over it now. i dose it here and then lol. its just annoying to see the light.

Yeah sure you are tom.. sure you are

just a quick update. been driving with engine light for about 2 weeks now and this afternoon while moving the car from car spots, turned on engine and engine light disapeared!

i think maybe my ecu has finally adjusted itself?

any thoughts?

it might come back.. but im pretty happy it just went away LOL!

It is possible that it could have adjusted, thinking that whatever it is seeing is what it should be. But one thing I would be concerned about is whether it has adjusted the expense of maybe affecting its power output.

It is possible that it could have adjusted, thinking that whatever it is seeing is what it should be. But one thing I would be concerned about is whether it has adjusted the expense of maybe affecting its power output.

hmm good point. i guess a dyno will reveal that

Mine went back on for 2days.. then went off on monday nite. Been off since.. still going strong! :lol:

I'll get dyno neway.. to see where we sit now.

• 3 weeks later...

One question:

Is the piping of the CAI (where the MAF sensor mounts) larger or smaller than the stock mount?

Not sure. Have to check and let ya know. My engine is still off. Shinobis is still on. Mines been off for about 2weeks now.. with mixed driving conditions.. the last meet mountain runs, and pushing it hard here and there.

Shinobi is getting his exhaust manifold + O2 sensor replaced for free by toyota. See wat that does.

Tomee just got his exhaust manifold replaced today with new O2 sensor. CEL is off for now. See how it goes. hope it fixes the problem.

Awesome! Time to go....ummm .. :whistling:

Edited by dwee.

Update: Tomees CEL came back.. toyota FTL

engine light came back on day after exhaust manifold replacement with new o2 sensor in it. lol

will get car serviced soon, maf sensor replaced and try a diff pod and see if that eliminates.

never ending journey...

sigh

Can anyone provide the ID of the piping on the CAI (closest to the Air Flow Sensor) if possible? Can anyone provide the ID of the piping on the stock instake (closest to the Air Flow Sensor) as well?

engine light came back on day after exhaust manifold replacement with new o2 sensor in it. lol

will get car serviced soon, maf sensor replaced and try a diff pod and see if that eliminates.

never ending journey...

sigh

Why are you replacing parts blindly when its the CAI causing the problem?

The MAF's are calibrated for a certain diameter tube, change the diameter of the housing and they will feed the ECU incorrect values and it then flags a CEL after a certain number of cycles outside the defined range.

never ending journey...

sigh

Why are you replacing parts blindly when its the CAI causing the problem?

The MAF's are calibrated for a certain diameter tube, change the diameter of the housing and they will feed the ECU incorrect values and it then flags a CEL after a certain number of cycles outside the defined range.

^ This.

Evo7 and myself had the same problem when we had our CES CAI done.

I don't exactly know Evan's situation, but in my case they used a 76mm pipe which caused the engine to go into limp mode.

They stuck in a 76mm to 70mm reducer at the MAF sensor point and the engine was back to normal.

thanks for the input!! say something earlier !!!!

i think we're onto something woooo!

on second thought, injen's cai does have a step down at the maf where the tube diameter is smaller.. so any further thoughts?

Edited by shin0bi

thanks for the input!! say something earlier !!!!

i think we're onto something woooo!

on second thought, injen's cai does have a step down at the maf where the tube diameter is smaller.. so any further thoughts?

compare the stock diameter to the injen one.

Time to get your hands dirty.

• 1 month later...

just thought i'd update this thread.

i recently put in a 3A racing pod filter as per the pdf file i've read posted here on the forums somewhere on it's strong points on filtration and ability to literally suck more as compared to others (and by comparison of pods, it includes injen as well).

ever since i installed the 3A racing pod, without resetting the ecu at all, the check engine light dissapeared and hasn't come back for a few days now.

i think it was because the injen pod has oil in or on it which the maf sensor picks up as a contaminant and throws the CEL? whereas the 3A racing pod is a dry type filter..

i could be wrong and the CEL may come up but i got a good feeling it may be the pod...

any comments welcome.

cheers,

tom