INJEN CAI installed

Evening all,

Regarding engine light. after driving home today, about 30 mins of driving BAM guess what? engine light comes on. Wonder what the problem is.. as mentioned before maybe my car is just not used to the increased airflow? should i give it time to get used to it?

hey dutchie, i noticed ! its awesome :D

cheers. tom

i dont think it has to do with flow its porbably an electornic thing.. my cai has been in for 4000 ish kms no light it even was filterles for a while ><!

Poor tomee.. as for 1/4 mile time, are you serious? its not even worth it. maybe for a laugh. 18seconds? who knows.. and for my cars' pride and sake.. i dont want to know. :P

Poor tomee.. as for 1/4 mile time, are you serious? its not even worth it. maybe for a laugh. 18seconds? who knows.. and for my cars' pride and sake.. i dont want to know. :P

UPDATE:

tonight took out the cai and reinstalled it, made it fit better. hope this time its ok......... results pending...

Raced an integra type r last nite. Came home.. parked.. engine light came on! :(

Resetting ecu now. Sigh...

Was it worth it ?? Did you beat the type R ? Or were there 2 sighs ..

2 sighs.. if i bet the type r.. than i'd be running sportivos

Anyways.. this engine light is still proving to be quite a problem. Now dwee's just came on too. Theres a few things me, shinobi and dwee are deciding on.

1. Shinobi took his to toyota, they said they'll change the O2 sensor and maf sensor and that should fix it.

2. Theres oil residue on our pod and it may be setting the engine light on from the maf sensor. Thinking of getting a cheap non-oiled one and installing it to see how that goes.

3. Its running a bit lean and needs to be tuned at a workshop.

Can anyone help on this? I know its probli nothing major.. but its a worrying thing seeing check engine light come on

They should of had something on the installation manual about this. That would at least help put our minds at ease.

Did Shinobi get them to tell him what the error code was exactly? When I get an error code, I get them to tell me what it is so I can do further research/troubleshooting on it. May also depend on the service advisor as to whether they want to tell you or not. I know the guys at my local dealer that they read/reset codes for me with no worries.

2. Theres oil residue on our pod and it may be setting the engine light on from the maf sensor. Thinking of getting a cheap non-oiled one and installing it to see how that goes.

Even with a slightly over-oiled filter, it shouldn't foul up the MAF that fast to throw a code as quick as it did. I'm having my doubts that the oil from the filter is causing this. I've had a filter before that had a bit of excess reside on it (nothing abnormal) and it didn't have any effect on the MAF.

I also highly doubt that simply changing the intake will make the engine run lean all of a sudden. You have to introduce much more air than a simple intake is going to provide for it to run lean.

I would be thinking that there could be something to do with the placement of the MAF. If the airflow past it isn't suitable for the MAF, then it won't be reading the airflow properly and can throw a code. The thing is, others seem to have no issues with it. Could it possibly be a variation in production? I dunno.

The best place to start though would be to find what the error code is. That gives a point of reference to work off.

Did Shinobi get them to tell him what the error code was exactly? When I get an error code, I get them to tell me what it is so I can do further research/troubleshooting on it. May also depend on the service advisor as to whether they want to tell you or not. I know the guys at my local dealer that they read/reset codes for me with no worries.

Even with a slightly over-oiled filter, it shouldn't foul up the MAF that fast to throw a code as quick as it did. I'm having my doubts that the oil from the filter is causing this. I've had a filter before that had a bit of excess reside on it (nothing abnormal) and it didn't have any effect on the MAF.

I also highly doubt that simply changing the intake will make the engine run lean all of a sudden. You have to introduce much more air than a simple intake is going to provide for it to run lean.

I would be thinking that there could be something to do with the placement of the MAF. If the airflow past it isn't suitable for the MAF, then it won't be reading the airflow properly and can throw a code. The thing is, others seem to have no issues with it. Could it possibly be a variation in production? I dunno.

The best place to start though would be to find what the error code is. That gives a point of reference to work off.

hey darrel,

regarding your responses, the error code toyota gave me was p0171 which is System Too Lean (Bank 1).

after days of researching and what not, there's many things people have mentioned on forums all over.

1. excess oil on the pod itself - which may be the case..

2. reset ecu - but doesn't seem to work i've tried this like 5 times and the 'check engine light' comes on regardless after an hours drive or so..

3. too much airflow, ecu not used to it..

4. system running lean therefore will damage engine inside out.

5. vacuum leaks, loose connections, air leaks - i've reinstalled the cai and am sure all connections are tight and secure...

6. leaving it and eventually the 'cel' (check engine light) will dissapear

7. cleaning maf sensor with cleaning agent - again i've done this and after about 1 hour of driving the 'cel' comes on

8. toyota checked my car and sed the o2 sensor is faulty or may have been stuffed but wasn't sure if it was due to the cai so they said they want to run tests on it this friday coming up and replace the o2 sensor..

few other things but all of these negative things seem to compounding upon myself and johnnie and soon peter (lol).

any input wiould be greatly appreciated!

tom

Hi, had same problem on my 05 corolla after fitting a CAI, had a error code after 30 min drive and took to toyota to find code and said (timing retarding) like it was running on 3 cylinders, no power at all

Solution was to use a different fuel with more octane, was on 91 and now 98 and no problems after that.....

It may be the older MAF sensors maybe? mine is an late build 09, only done 8k. Still haven't had any problems after the CAI install. I always run 98 octane (Shell Optimax), never E10 either.

Silly question but can the MAF be put in backwards? (sorry but i just can think of anything else!?)

Just noticed that you guys with problems are 08 builds. Is that correct?

Here Aries, here's mine when i first got it....but i just tweaked mine just by a little bit

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

awesome !

thanks for that :)

im lo0king to adding an injen CAI and just wanted to see what it'd look like :D

Hi, had same problem on my 05 corolla after fitting a CAI, had a error code after 30 min drive and took to toyota to find code and said (timing retarding) like it was running on 3 cylinders, no power at all

Solution was to use a different fuel with more octane, was on 91 and now 98 and no problems after that.....

G'day brian,

i've been using 98 ron before the cai install. johnny is using 91 ron atm so maybe something he could try out.

problem is there seems to be too many variable solutions.

RE: dutchie

the maf sensors can only be put on one way so yeah its all correctly installed.

UPDATE: myself and johnny just did a total reinstall on ours made the silicon tube fit nicely without and dimples and put the hydroshield on and reset ecu again. so far engine light is off..

will update again soon....

I've been using 98 Shell & BP ultimate since I bought the car, and it's an '09.

Thing is, mine 'check engine light' just came on, like after 550kms of driving..:huh:

Peter.

2 things I can think of it being.

-Vacuum leak. Cap off any excess lines that were disconnected.

-When you reset your ecu did you discharge the whole system?

ie. disconnect battery then step on brakes for a few seconds?

RE: and1

we havn't tried that, we'll give that a go

RE: kenneth

it came pre oiled like theres abit of oil on the pod cap u can see it and feel it.

and thanks for the input!! appreciate it!

Edited by shin0bi
  • Like 1

I'm on the exact same line of thought as Daryl. The Maf mount on the Injen is not in the correct position. On the ZZE's which i did a lot experimentation in the CAI dept with CES the position of the MAF is critical and Toyota's in general are quite sensitive when it comes to the MAF. So to me it looks like Injen may just have a design fault of sorts??

CES does have a CAI for ZRE's but unfortunately it never got completed because nobody could supply a car to finish the project as the original donor car suddenly became unavailable. It is quite different to the pics of the Injen not having the sharp bend and the pipe angles the Injen has for some strange reason.

ZRE's have waay more room for CAI than ZZE's do that's for sure.

By wrong postition what do you mean? the angle? Like i said, i still have no problem (touch wood).

Can you guys please confirm or deny that this problem is limited to 08 ZRE models? Just so i know im barking up the wrong tree or not.