[VIC] MONTHLY MEET - SUNDAY 25TH JULY 2010

Hey guys, wanna contribute with organising a cruise for you Victorian TOCAU guys/gals on the Great Ocean Road (Anglesea to Colac).

For those who don't know what the great ocean road is, here are a few facts...

http://www.visitvict...5680C476A90000/

"Recognised as one of the world's most scenic drives, the Great Ocean Road follows the stunning coastline of Victoria's south-west. Stretching 243 kilometres from Torquay, just south of Geelong, to Allansford, just east of Warrnambool, the road winds along cliff tops, up to breathtaking headlands, down onto the edge of beaches, across river estuaries and through lush rainforests offering panoramic views of Bass Strait and the Southern Ocean at every turn."

Honestly, i've only driven on this road once and I can tell you guys now, the highlights where 50+ kms of non stop twisties one after the other :P

Recon run will be on the 27th of June DONE!!!

Cruise will be on the 25th of July

So any of you people who are interested in going should get a good nights rest and preferable wash your car before the day, etc. Also recommended is a FULL tank of petrol :)

Full route modified 22nd July 2010. Please see map at the end of the post!

***Note this is a guide ONLY and people can choose where to turn back in the various stops along the way***

Actual times departed were logged from the Recon Run and are used as a guide only. May change slightly during the cruise day

Melbourne > Geelong (Great Ocean Road) > Anglesea > Lorne > Apollo Bay > Port Campbell > Warrnambool

Meet at Supercheap Auto at Brimbank Central off Station road Deer Park. Please be on time as we leave 7am sharp to start our cruise.

Melbourne > Geelong Departure time 07.20

Est time travel: 1:05 hrs

Approx. distance: 93.4 kms

Traffic condition: light

At the end of this trip chance for awesome photo shots along the road. Good stretch and no traffic so we can all park our cars on the side of the road and quickly take some pics... here is an example :)

DSC00197-1.jpg

Geelong GOR > Anglesea GOR Departure time 08.44

Est time travel: 0:15 hrs

Approx. distance: 17.9 kms

Breakfast here. Toilet break, food, ATM. Lots of car parks and chances to take photos and kick back and chat.

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00202.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

haha... on an old school rolla :P

DSC00210.jpg

Anglesea GOR > Lorne Departure time 09.20

Est time travel: 0:32 hrs

Approx. distance: 28.8 kms

2 roadworks here. First one has traffic lights. The Second one you have to watch out the cars entering from the other direction. Some twisties begin here but not enough to satisfy your tastes... :spiteful: also need time to digest the breakfast :P

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

When arriving at lorne there will be a short optional run to Erskine falls (8kms one way and involves some hardcore turns and few hairpins) Warm up for the upcoming roads ahead? Your choice but we will see with time...

Lorne > Apollo Bay Departure time 10.30

Est time travel: 0:47 hrs

Approx. distance:

Traffic condition: moderate

A few cars will begin to hold us up here and people might get seperated but turns will begin here... few of us need CVs to keep together if people get left behind. There are no traffic lights here so that should be easy ;)

DSC00256.jpg

johnnieboi taking a moving pic when i'm cornering at 80km/h :P

Apollo Bay > Port Campbell Departure time 11.30

Est time travel: 1:25 hrs

Approx. distance: 102 kms

Traffic condition: moderate

Majority of the turns here, also the longest stretch get ready for these turns... some are quite nasty... ;)

Upon arrival have a photo shoot opportunity and group shot with all our cars in the background...

Also toilet break and walk along to the twelve apostles there is also a kiosk here for some munchies as well.

most behind carpark (lots here)

DSC00279.jpg

Port Campbell > Warrnambool Departure time 13.15

Est time travel: 1:00 hrs

Approx. distance: 72.1 kms

most of the way is straight road... Some people can choose to turn back to Melbourne via the GOR but going to Warrnambool will give you the chance to travel straight to geelong then Melbourne via A1 and M1 respectively (~2:30 hrs)

DSC00287.jpg

Warrnambool > Colac > Geelong > Melbourne (A1 and M1)

Est time travel: 2:38 hrs

Approx. distance: 251 kms

Traffic condition: moderate to heavy (but moving)

If everything goes well we should be back by early afternoon :) We can all split up then and go to wash our cars or eat dinner together or whatever

GREAT OCEAN ROAD CRUISE DAY (25th July 2010)

1. Kenshin X - Corolla ZZE123R

2. JDMwhore - Corolla ZZE123R

3. johnnieboi - Corolla ZRE152

4. dwee - Corolla ZRE152

5. dyslexik - Corolla ZZE123R

6. BKS - Corolla AE92 Hatch

7. Thu - Yaris YRS

8. Shin0bi - Corolla ZRE152

9. Hong - Corolla ZZE123R

10. TRDaurion3500SL - TRD Aurion 3500SL

11. private number - Camry

12. tru-star - Corolla ZZE122

13. enforcer - Yaris YRS

14. Adam - Corolla ZRE152

15. le.vinh.zr - ZRE152

16. 1stKill - Aurion ATX

17. Jaderd - Corolla AE82

18. 78k_7Rolla - Corolla KE30

19. twungs - Corolla ZZE123R

20. Trolla - Corolla ZZE123R

21. kewl10_mac - Corolla ZZE123R

22. burak - Corolla ZZE123R

23. SportivoPSI - Corolla Sportivo Turbo

24. xRumer - Corolla

25. dorifto - Corolla AE92

26. Guni - Corolla ZZE123R

27. Uncle Evil - Corolla ZZE123R

28. Tofuboi - Aurion Sportivo ZR6

29. tash - Camry Sportivo

Hope you can make it! :)

***For those who don't know where Super Cheap Auto is in Brimbank. Hop on the super cheap website and look for the "Brimbank Shopping Centre" store. Its next to Hungry Jacks and do enter from Station Road (the main road). 72 Neale Street is correct but u may end up getting lost as there is an entrance further up Station Road <_<***

Guys with UHF radios we will decide on a channel either on the day or just before so late comers can catch up and know which channel to switch to before the day so no hassles arise :)

There is Shell petrol station just down the road if anyone wants to fill up. hopefully petrol will be still cheap then. (weird these last few weeks as the price spikes are Sunday and not Thursday like before)

TOCAU GREAT OCEAN RD CRUISE: Melb -> Anglesea -> Lorne (Erskine Creek Falls Rd Detour) -> Apollo Bay -> Skenes Ck -> Colac -> Geelong -> Melbourne (via A1)

Melbourne Weather Update

Geelong Weather Update

Apollo Bay Weather Update

Things to be mindful about on the Cruise Today

1. Whilst cruising on the Great Ocean Road (GOR), please be mindful of you and your car's limits.

2. Watch out for wildlife (koalas, kangaroos etc). If you spot anything that could be potentially hazardous. Turn on your hazard lights and signal the driver behind you to stop/slow down.

3. There are a couple of road works along the way. These road works are to prevent rocks from falling off the edges of the cliffs along the GOR.

4. PLEASE obey the speed limits as much possible. Go your own pace but be mindful of drivers/pedestrians/animals around you.

5. When taking turns, be careful of cars, cyclists and motorcyclists on the opposite direction. Some like to end up on the middle or even on the other side of the road.

FYI:

• Double solid lines on the road means NO OVERTAKING. It is the driver's decision in front of you whether or not to let you overtake. There will be overtaking lanes for them to move over. You may pass after the driver has safely pulled over.

• About advisory signs (ones with the black number on yellow boards). These are not speed limits. However that doesn't mean you can recklessly drive around the corners. Please drive responsibly and be mindful of your surroundings.

• On the day people will be grouped into the "cruisy laid back" group and the "spirited driving" group. This will help reduce accidents. CV radios will be used on the day to try and keep everyone together. I will lead the group at the beginning but will interchange between a few others. Generally there will be one leading the cruisy laid back and one leading the spirited driving groups so no one gets lost.

• Neither myself nor TOCAU will be held responsible for any damages (either direct nor indirect) that may be caused to your car along the cruise.

ZERO TOLERANCE FOR RECKLESS BEHAVIOUR: There will be moderators coming on the day and if any silly behaviour is reported during the cruise, the individual will be banned from further participating in future meets and cruises and have their accounts banned indefinitely in TOCAU.

• Enjoy the day guys! :)

Kenshin X

My mobile number is 0433 991 799 if anyone's got any questions regarding the cruise. Or pm me

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking forward to this man, just becareful as well, wildlife everywhere along the road.

Last time I drove down it I had to wait for Koala and her baby to cross the road, and I had a wallaby jump out in front of my car, almost hit the thing <_<

looking forward to this man, just becareful as well, wildlife everywhere along the road.

Last time I drove down it I had to wait for Koala and her baby to cross the road, and I had a wallaby jump out in front of my car, almost hit the thing <_<

oh yeah last time we all saw a koala too, it was on the side of the road though eating leaves, veyr cute -_-

RECON RUN (half day on a Sunday) - DATE TBA

1. Kenshin X

2. JDMwhore

3. Johnnieboi

CRUISE DAY (on a Sunday) - DATE TBA

1. Kenshin X

2. JDMwhore

3. Johnnieboi

Edited by johnnieboi

oh yeahhhh, heeeerrrreeee's johnny! :D :yahoo:

Cant wait to go flying off the cliffs. I remember years ago.. wen going lorne.. used to think 'fahh, check all those car club guys.. wish i was like that' lol

1. Kenshin X

2. JDMwhore

3. Johnnieboi

4. dwee. TBC

1. Kenshin X

2. JDMwhore

3. Johnnieboi

4. dwee. TBC

wish i was like that' lol

now u can with lowered car and grippy tires :)

Dates are put up guys, voice your opinions + interests :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

NOV!!!!! man thats ages away....

GOR is a VERY long way... i'd be happy to help out with the scouting run... last time i think we clocked up around 700+ kms.

i think your start time is the first thing you need to fix...

GOR is notorious for 3 things:

1. Awesome Roads

2. Awesome Sights

3. F###ing Traffic

Now you can have numbres 1 & 2, without 3.... but you need to be in Apollo Bay for Breakfast.... not lunch.

i suggest a 7:00 am depart.

NOV!!!!! man thats ages away....

GOR is a VERY long way... i'd be happy to help out with the scouting run... last time i think we clocked up around 700+ kms.

i think your start time is the first thing you need to fix...

GOR is notorious for 3 things:

1. Awesome Roads

2. Awesome Sights

3. F###ing Traffic

Now you can have numbres 1 & 2, without 3.... but you need to be in Apollo Bay for Breakfast.... not lunch.

i suggest a 7:00 am depart.

BKS has been heard :lol: ok, 7am depart is good, just make sure people are up to it first LOL. i've never ate in apollo bay... what foods u suggest there?

yeah november is a long way... but thats why... i want people to organise themselves... RDO/sick leave/annual leave/carers leave LOL

also i beleive tash said theres a few people who want to organise cruises before me so i'm opening the months for them to organise, otherwise i'm gonna start making it sooner :spiteful:

also if people need medical certificates... i can organise one for you... :spiteful:

Edited by Kenshin X

Heheh looking good Kenshin - might as well shift it forwards if you like, you're already more organised than the rest of us in terms of putting together other meets :) How about August like you suggested? Then maybe in July we could just have a catch-up day.

Count me in tentatively for this, I've only been down the GOR once (last March - which was a lovely time to do it) so would love to do so again. It's just the logistics for me really, would obv. need to stay in Melb the night before to meet up with you all. One question: where the hell is Brimbank???

Edited by Tash

Heheh looking good Kenshin - might as well shift it forwards if you like, you're already more organised than the rest of us in terms of putting together other meets :) How about August like you suggested? Then maybe in July we could just have a catch-up day.

yeah i think i might do that... July seems to be a good time for me as well... well any time on a sunday that is :)

Count me in tentatively for this, I've only been down the GOR once (last March - which was a lovely time to do it) so would love to do so again. It's just the logistics for me really, would obv. need to stay in Melb the night before to meet up with you all. One question: where the hell is Brimbank???

Nice tash, updating list now :clap:

Brimbank is a city... includes st albans, sunshine, deer park etc. :)

yeah i think i might do that... July seems to be a good time for me as well... well any time on a sunday that is :)

Brimbank is a city... includes st albans, sunshine, deer park etc. :) brimbank shopping centre is on station road in deer park :D

1. Kenshin X

2. JDMwhore

3. Johnnieboi

4. dwee. TBC

1. Kenshin X

2. JDMwhore

3. Johnnieboi

4. dwee. TBC

5. shin0bi

6. shin0bi's mate

Brimbank is a city... includes st albans, sunshine, deer park etc. :) brimbank shopping centre is on station road in deer park :D

Hahah right!! NOW I know where you're talking about - I had heard of it (you know that whole Brimbank council saga) but had no idea what it actually meant or incorporated. I know how to get to Sunshine :) So I guess the shopping centre in Deer Park must be pretty easy to get to!

Looking at your list of dates in July could you please go with one of the later weekends? I know it's a joint decision to decide on the date but historically we aim for meets in the latter half of the month, and I'm pretty sure I will be booked out early July (given I won't be home from Sydney until late-June, and my weekends for June are already filled up lol) It just gives everyone plenty of time to lock it in and get organised :) The 18th of July could be a potential date? Maybe add a poll to this topic and see what date in July people would prefer?

Plus I know the couple of friends I want to bring along are free then and I'm planning on having them keep me awake for all the driving I'll be doing!! (being in Bendigo, I will prob head in the opposite direction when you guys finish and go up past Ballarat to get back)

Yeah tash, its fairly easy. Get off the freeway at ballarat road. I assume you'll be coming from the airport/calder fwy direction. So when you get off turn right. then drive up and turn right again at station road and brimbank shopping centre should be on your left about a couple minutes up the road.

or, get off at furlong road and turn right. then drive all the way up furlong road through the suburbs with round abouts and a 60km speed limit. Keep driving until you reach cairnlea drive. Turn right and keep driving. Brimbank should be on your right at the end of cairnlea drive.

Second route is shorter, but a bit more confusing for someone who hasnt been in the area before. If you take the first option, no chance you can get lost

Yeah tash, its fairly easy. Get off the freeway at ballarat road. I assume you'll be coming from the airport/calder fwy direction. So when you get off turn right. then drive up and turn right again at station road and brimbank shopping centre should be on your left about a couple minutes up the road.

or, get off at furlong road and turn right. then drive all the way up furlong road through the suburbs with round abouts and a 60km speed limit. Keep driving until you reach cairnlea drive. Turn right and keep driving. Brimbank should be on your right at the end of cairnlea drive.

Second route is shorter, but a bit more confusing for someone who hasnt been in the area before. If you take the first option, no chance you can get lost

Ahh - I believe I know exactly where you are talking about now, I went to the Tyre Factory in Sunshine on Ballarat Rd to get my wheels fitted, so I am assuming that Brimbank Shopping Centre must be where I come out at a set of lights when I turn left onto Ballarat Road? Although if there's an exit for Ballarat Road that does make life easy, I've been getting off the Calder freeway at Keilor Road, then turning right onto the Western Ring Rd (I think?) for a bit and taking the first exit off that. I am going to consult Google maps now lol

Edit: Ah no it's not that other shopping centre at all.. Okay, I haven't been to that bit at all then. McIntyre Road is what I've used to get down to the Tyre Factory. Although, if I go that way, and turn right instead of left I now understand your first set of directions :) Thank goodness for google maps!! (the GPS gave me a bumsteer last time I entered Ballarat Road - tried to make me turn off at like Gisborne)

Edited by Tash

Ahh - I believe I know exactly where you are talking about now, I went to the Tyre Factory in Sunshine on Ballarat Rd...

yes from TTF sunshine on ballarat road... go ballarat bound... past macintyre, past the freeway, past cairnlea drive. hold right and turn right on station road, then go down til u get to brimbank shopping centre... there is hungry jacks and then supercheap. YOU CANT MISS IT LOL :D

actually... i MIGHT make it on the sunday before queens bday, but that means, ur out of it dwee becuz of exams. depends on the others thoughts about this. i know some of u are going to the annual meet so lets hear it guys, whos interested in this?

Ahh - I believe I know exactly where you are talking about now, I went to the Tyre Factory in Sunshine on Ballarat Rd...

yes from TTF sunshine on ballarat road... go ballarat bound... past macintyre, past the freeway, past cairnlea drive. hold right and turn right on station road, then go down til u get to brimbank shopping centre... there is hungry jacks and then supercheap. YOU CANT MISS IT LOL :D

Thanks - I had a look using street view before and saw the Hungry Jacks and Super Cheap Auto :D So now I exactly where you're referring to :)

Sorry but I won't be in on a recon run, I will be in Sydney for the national meet :yahoo: Then end of June I'm pretty much booked out lol

actually... i MIGHT make it on the sunday before queens bday, but that means, ur out of it dwee becuz of exams. depends on the others thoughts about this. i know some of u are going to the annual meet so lets hear it guys, whos interested in this?

Make it whenever! I'm not sure if I'll be down in Melbourne late June anyway. If I can come, I'll come. :)

Peter.

Don't do it June...show some respect for the National meet in Sydney and all the hard work other members have put in to making this happen,we can have a meet 11mths out of 12 why clash with the main meet of the year. :blink:

p.s you guys should really be planning on being at the Annual in Sydney,the numbers are pathetic and embarassing for Victoria's Toyota crew.It's only 8-9 hours up the road and if we got our sh!t together we could have one hell of a cruise up & back,a convoy of Toyotas going to and from Sydney would be awesome and memorable. ;)

just a thought.