South African build quality or poor installation

Hi, I noticed that my passenger side front headlight doesn't sit flush to the bumper. If I roll my fingers from the bumper up to the headlight, the bottom part of the headlight sticks out more wherease drivers side head light is flush with the bumper. Is this an example of the south african build quality or is it a bad install from the panel beater ? I haven't had any accidents in my car, but the car was at the panel beaters to get resprayed after being keyed.

I just need to know before I embark on taking the front bumper off to get to the head light to reseat it better.

Could be both but I wouldn't say SA build quality as my Jap built one doesn't quite sit flush either, it's just one of those things on a mass produced car. You probably will be able to get it lined up better yourself with some effort.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll need to unbolt it and realign it. The head light base is protruding about 4mm away from the bumper and I think the panel beaters may have had a go at adjusting my headlight aim because it is completely off compared to the other headlight. I didn't notice it before because I had the headlight protectors on.

I also had to reinstall my passenger side weathershield because the panel beater used crap mounting tape :angry:

I'm finding that I seem to have to do a lot of re-work/checking after someone has worked on my car. What's going on here. :huh:

I was told the SA factory was completely shut down due to bad QC.

If it is, then it is about time, as one complaint has already hit printed media RE Corolla Ascents!

do you have aircon?

they take the lights out to fit it. dealer fitted?

I was told the SA factory was completely shut down due to bad QC.

good news! when buying a toyota i want it to come from japan. even though european brands are also being produced there seems that toyota was very average in quality in south africa

you pay the same amount of money for a car built in japan and south africa, yet you get different components and brand parts. not to mention the seemingly bad quality in gaps and fits.

Im from SA!! And the factory is definately not closed!!! Its the third largest TOYOTA plant in the world!!

So they aint gonna just close down bru! Japan 1, Usa 2, SA 3

My cousin and his wife works in the plant!! He works in the Hospital!!! Thats were they do major repairs! like Engine replacement, gearbox problems!! on brand new cabbies!!

About the standard! Dnt think its low!! eg. Coz my cousin says that if there is a small scratch on the windscreen, u and me wont even notice! They crush the windscreen and fit a new one!! Even a headlight or bumper for that matter!! a small mark on the headlight and it gets crushed!! If the colour is slightly off on the bumpers then respray till its rite! no gaps must be there too!

And btw!! The inspectors and quality managers are mainly japanese!!!! Ofcourse there are south africa managers!! But the main/chief quality inspectors are all japanese!!!

• 4 weeks later...

what a load of crap.

They get damaged at the docks by the guys unloading the cars when they get out of shape, but 90% of the time the cars arrive exactly as they left SA/Japan.

toyota established the sa plant because of the japanese yen strength against the aud. great it has created many jobs in sa. obviously they have quality control and japanese expats to oversee the process. if shipping does not change the vehicles condition, either we are too picky on quality, they are shipped that way with faults, or the dealer does something to the cars like fitting equipment.

Edited by kcorro

• 2 weeks later...

last week i had to get a new battery and new terminal clips from toyota. i had to return to the dealer because both parts did not fit. the battery was too tall and the clips wrong size. you would think something simple and pretty standard toyota would get right.

the staff said they have trouble because of differing origins either japan or south africa. he also said SA is closed now because of problems. their experience was that turmoil in the country caused local staffing issues. they would train and skill them but they would get killed or die of spreading diseases.

Edited by kcorro

last week i had to get a new battery and new terminal clips from toyota. i had to return to the dealer because both parts did not fit. the battery was too tall and the clips wrong size. you would think something simple and pretty standard toyota would get right.

the staff said they have trouble because of differing origins either japan or south africa. he also said SA is closed now because of problems. their experience was that turmoil in the country caused local staffing issues. they would train and skill them but they would get killed or die of spreading diseases.

I think im going to demostos my car now, hope it doesnt have aids.

VW and BMW are both SA, do they have the same probs or they import their own staff from germany.

Edited by VVTLiR