My opinion on Stivo recall

I had the recall work done today along with my 10,000km service ($150 even though i provided my own lubricants). They still tried to suck me into getting the fuel injector cleaned for $100! Anyway, i was told they replaced the ECU, aircap and also ordered new gear knob and gear selctor cables from Sydney in the morning and had them at Wollongong and changed in the afternoon before i collected the car at 5pm. The battery was also disconnected and i had to reset all the radio channels.

ECU- Hard to see.

Aircap- Couldn't see what they replaced exactly because the airbox is still the same with my K&N sticker intact.

Gear knob- Visibly a new knob with more wrinkles on the leather. Looks exactly the same.

Gear selctor cable- Visibly a new cable. My old cable with its cable tie has been removed and replaced with new cable without any cable ties.

SUBJECTIVE impression of 20 minute driving in traffic- Lift sensation is still the same as i only manged to hit lift twice in all that traffic, and couldn't properly test middle (4000-6000rpm) and high revs. Light rattles can still be heard from drivetrain but i am not fussed about it. Gear shifter is tighter than it was before. Also i found that it was harder to heel toe. Might be due to the different pair of shoes i was wearing or they have adjusted my accelerator pedal and is now lower to the floor.

Overall, no great difference to be felt except the shifter being tighter.

Cheers,

Zee

Overall

so zee did they ring you or did you have to ring them and get the gear select change arranged. ???

i have put in the report for it a long time ago but penrith still reckon the parts aren't available.

might ring customer relations tomorrow.

so zee did they ring you or did you have to ring them and get the gear select change arranged. ???

i have put in the report for it a long time ago but penrith still reckon the parts aren't available.

might ring customer relations tomorrow.

I just went in and told them to look it up because someone here received an email from TMCA saying the parts have been finalised and we just need to report it to the dealership and they will get the parts. Remember that email?

Then when i went in to collect the car they said they ordered the parts from Sydney in the Morning (must be before 10am) and the parts arrived lunch-time and they got down to installing it! Hard to believe but i did get a new knob and cable. BUT i still hear soft buzzing when i lift off the throttle at low revs. Not sure if it is the cable or the gearbox making the buzz because i asked them to put in Nulon G70 additive and Synthetic tranny oil at service.

Zee

rang TMCA this morning

the parts are still in evaluation mode as far as they are concerned

they have parts within Australia - but just have installed parts to some cars and will be getting feedback from drivers through dealerships

I have hasseled my dealership and looks like I will get it done

They are just ringing on avaliablity on parts for me B)

I got the recall done about two weeks ago and as i was going through this forum stating about a sticker on the driver side door i couldn't find it, they just give me a sheet of paper and stated what was done, ADR recall and gear cable replace.

I still have the same gear knob, can still hear buzzing sound when rev between 3 to 4krpm, the airbox still looks the same, i open the airbox and unable to find whats the difference, unable to feel any improvement when driving, Could it be that my Toy dealer never done the recall properly or even never did it.

How can i check because i am pretty sure if i call them, they will deny it.

Cheers

Just had the ECU and CAP, big difference. Going to Dyno it this Saturday and will post results.

Now the cable selector issue. I just saw a letter at service, dealerships will be receiving this letter from this Friday onwards.

A new gear selector cable has been made, and it is huge. It will fix the problem with rattles and shifting.

A recall will happen last week of October 2004, as the dealers still have not received the parts as yet; they are being dispatched as we speak.

So we just have to wait, as per last recall. It is happening so be patient.

Stivo's Rule.

I got the recall done about two weeks ago and as i was going through this forum stating about a sticker on the driver side door i couldn't find it, they just give me a sheet of paper and stated what was done, ADR recall and gear cable replace.

I still have the same gear knob, can still hear buzzing sound when rev between 3 to 4krpm, the airbox still looks the same, i open the airbox and unable to find whats the difference, unable to feel any improvement when driving, Could it be that my Toy dealer never done the recall properly or even never did it.

Cheers

I don't think we were supposed to feel a big difference as mentioned in the recall info provided by TMCA. I did get a silver sticker on the driver's side, just ask the dealer for it. I am not sure about the difference in the aircap but someone did mention there is a change in the inside of the cap where there is a white piece of plastic. Not sure what purpose it serves but that could be what they changed or maybe something closer to the throttle body. I might drive the car back tomorrow and ask the mechanics to provide me with more details. The gear selctor cable i have at the moment is no larger than before. There are differences but not a noticible incrrease in size.

Zee

Cheers

I don't think we were supposed to feel a big difference as mentioned in the recall info provided by TMCA. I did get a silver sticker on the driver's side, just ask the dealer for it. I am not sure about the difference in the aircap but someone did mention there is a change in the inside of the cap where there is a white piece of plastic. Not sure what purpose it serves but that could be what they changed or maybe something closer to the throttle body. I might drive the car back tomorrow and ask the mechanics to provide me with more details. The gear selctor cable i have at the moment is no larger than before. There are differences but not a noticible incrrease in size.

Zee

Of course you're suppose to feel the difference. Theres around a 4 - 7kW gain at 7800 rpm and torque increases by up to 10Nm between 3000 and 6000 rpm, depending on where you are under full throttle.

As I mentioned before, give your ECU between 200 and 500km to "learn" the parameters as these will be set during each warm up cycle. Therefore, it seemed to help us in SA to drill the car for a bit after the oil temperature and gearbox warmed up nicely. You'll see that it gets stronger with more kms.

Also, on the Aircleaner cap, the inside contains a white piece of plastic. Previously, this had a "step down with a mesh type cover which was very restrictive. The newer cap looks exactly like the old one on the outside. However, the intake nozzle is shorter and wider. Also, it does not have the mesh cover.

Cheers

Zee

Of course you're suppose to feel the difference. Theres around a 4 - 7kW gain at 7800 rpm and torque increases by up to 10Nm between 3000 and 6000 rpm, depending on where you are under full throttle.

As I mentioned before, give your ECU between 200 and 500km to "learn" the parameters as these will be set during each warm up cycle. Therefore, it seemed to help us in SA to drill the car for a bit after the oil temperature and gearbox warmed up nicely. You'll see that it gets stronger with more kms.

Also, on the Aircleaner cap, the inside contains a white piece of plastic. Previously, this had a "step down with a mesh type cover which was very restrictive. The newer cap looks exactly like the old one on the outside. However, the intake nozzle is shorter and wider. Also, it does not have the mesh cover.

I guess i need to give the Stivo a workout routine then to get her conditioned? :P However i was told by my mechanic the ECU we get doesn't require specific driving style to run it in. He said certain cars do but not the Stivo's ECU. I don't even care because i drive the car the way i use to anyway. It just doesn't feel any different at the moment with 60kms clocked post recall. Last night i gave it a good 5-10 minute LIFT session in the rain to kick off the routine.

Zee

Went all the way to Sydney City Toyota today to get the recall done. Woo is the would be the word that i used to describe it. The power seems more linear, and u get it from straight from below. It just fell totally different. It more drivable now. Love it. Gonna get my Getting my Fujitsubo muffler done this week too. Can't wait.

The Stivo didn't want to rev today. It was freakin hot around 24-25degrees but i found an empty staright and pushed the car in 2nd but it just didn't like revving past 7500rpm. LIFT also felt weak today, plenty of noise but little go. The only good thing was the torque at low-mid revs in heavy traffic and on the freeway.

The gear cable change didn't seem to do any good to the sticky shifter but it does feel firmer and more precise and no more rattles. I would however reccomend Nulon's G70 tranny additive and some kind of Synthetic tranny oil (eg. Castrol Syntrax) because the shift quality has improved and been very consisitent ever since i used them.

Went all the way to Sydney City Toyota today to get the recall done. Woo is the would be the word that i used to describe it. The power seems more linear, and u get it from straight from below. It just fell totally different. It more drivable now. Love it. Gonna get my Getting my Fujitsubo muffler done this week too. Can't wait.

I felt the immediate difference too when i hopped into the car for the first time driving it out of the dealership. Just felt much more responsive but soon the feeling disappeared :blink: and today it was dreadful.

i just had my car serviced, and i must say, it feels like new. its probably 60% of the power increase the CAI gave me, alot more better throttle response down low, feels alot more nippy and less effort. i think combined with the CAI, it would be awesome, cuz the CAI added alot 3-6k rpm.

no recall work on the gearbox/selectors, but they had a fiddle with the clutch/cables etc, and the gearbox feels brand new slots right in, clutch pedal is nice and firm, the car was starting to feel really sloppy and ugly, handling, and both gearbox and clutch pre-service.

wot they did was

oil filter

gskt oil drain

brake clean

fuel system cleaner

oil system cleaner

replace aircap & ECU

booked me in for a new seat cushion

wheel balance+ rotate

the suspension feels great now, and the car no longer pulls to the left, woopee!

I felt the immediate difference too when i hopped into the car for the first time driving it out of the dealership. Just felt much more responsive but soon the feeling disappeared :blink: and today it was dreadful.

Now you are scaring me. :(

Now you are scaring me. :(

Don't mean to frighten you but that was what i felt yesterday. It could be due to the combination of hot weather and the ECU recalibration. It feels better today but again its much cooler today compared to yesterday. And also the 500km run-in period could be right so i will just have to wait.

Zee

Had the recall done yesterday and the smile has not come off my face :D :D

You can feel the car pull harder, and there is no hesitation what so ever. The only down side that i have found and it really isnt a great big down side is that the shift is a little slower with the new cable, i also dont want to wrench it into every shift just yet, but i have to agree with everyone else and say that the car is much improved!!

Had the recall done yesterday and the smile has not come off my face :D :D

You can feel the car pull harder, and there is no hesitation what so ever. The only down side that i have found and it really isnt a great big down side is that the shift is a little slower with the new cable, i also dont want to wrench it into every shift just yet, but i have to agree with everyone else and say that the car is much improved!!

Did you get a silver sticker for it Nikich? I do agree that the throttle response and 4-6000rpm range revs better after the recall. The shifter feels slower for sure as the cable is new but is tighter and more precise than before. All up a good thing for no cost!