CAI & HYDRO LOCK

Hey guys i really want to get a CAI for my sportivo, like a TRD one or what not,

but im really paranoid that my engine will get hydrolock cuz the cai is really down low and water may get in.

for those that have one on, any one have problems in the past 2 weeks with the heavy rain in sydney?

what are the chances of water getting into the engine? do you guys still drive your cars in wet weather?

corey or dave pleeeeeeeeeese post the video that you guys took when entering auburn when it was raining heavy in sydney while u were entering the car park i think that will answer this question

the only way your going to get hydro lock is if you drive into a lake and even then you might survive... I drove through water deep enough it filled my foggies up with water and there was large amounts of water on my bonnet/windscreen and not a hint of any water related issues, its not going to happen....

PS when i get the video from dave ill post it up...or if he see's this he can post it up

Yeah i was driving my car today in Sydneys heavy rain, was abit worried for my CAI. When I arrived at my destination I put my hand down to feel the K&N filter it was a little wet. Ive noticed water seems to get in under the headlight when it rains and wets the filter. But i guess that is why the filter is oiled to prevent water from going in.

Just drive with light throtle and you should be okay no hard acceleration......

oo great.. i might as well ask this...

i know.. all stivos have a plastic under body panel (is that wt u call it?) on both corners & center of the front lip...

i have ones on the corner but their so small that i can actually touch the pod from beneath... coz im missing the big 1 in the center and my car sits soooooooo high... <_<

do conquest ascent levin ppl have that under their car??

I read that thread title and was sure someone was taking the ***** out of me.... those of you who know me know i am from newcastle..... and yes, lolla didnt fair all that well in our recent floods.

Truthfully... my cai sucked up some water, hydo locked the engine and i bent 2 rods :( they say there is a silver lining in every cloud..... i am beginning to believe them, my engine had 155,000kms on it and i have just put in another one with 25,000. she runs like a dream and it all came in at less that what the insurance company wanted for excess (there was no other water damage, so they would have just stuck another engine in anyway).

In all honesty, i was stuck in the CBD of newcastle and had no way to get out and get home, so i took a risk and drove through a rather large and long puddle.... we made it a metre from the end of the puddle and *cough* she died. I will add that i had been working in Singleton that day and if any of you have seen singo on the news, you know that they had major flooding. i drove home from singleton to my place (about an hour drive) with the little black plastic thing in my front bar that goes where the foggies are.... i had no probs.... i obvioulsy had water coming into the front bar and straight onto the pod and didnt have a drama....

My new engine is in, and despite the past week and all the hassles, my cai is already on my new engine.... lets face it guys, its a corolla its not designed to go through puddles that deep.... even with a standard air box.....

so unless you are going to be a goose and drive through flood water that is about a foot deep, i would say, sure, i dont think you will have any probs with a cai ;)

A bit of common sense goes a long way, just stay away from 'huge' puddles. Kinda like if your car is lowered and your exiting the servo, underbody scratches anyone?
Ive driven without my inner gaurd and the POD was saturated. Not 1 problem.

Complete agree iwth Suprathai and Jade. Common sense is always helpful sometimes :P . When the Goose was dumped (borderline illegal) Melbourne was experiencing a massive downpour of rain - very worrying times. I saw a Supra contemplate going through a massive puddle but opted out last minute... smart move as teh puddle would of been at least to the dude's indicator light >_<

Avoid big puddles at all cost, even if you have to take the **** about way going around it (i.e. anything that u think will submerge the lower lip = bad news for ur engine if u have a cai)

Isn't there a sticky on Hydro lock and Cai's somewhere?

You should have taken the garden hose out of the end of it first then Bangn :toast:

Superdave hurry up and post the video of how deep the water was that Northy, DHC09, Xoom,myself and any one else who turned up to the Show and shine at the national meet had to drive through.

Blame Telstra for being gay and not letting me upload to youtube for some reason. Northy will have the video very soon ;)

Edit: This post, in no way, contributes to the thread :P

Edited by SuperDave

It makes driving in this wet weather challenging......only thing I hate is the fact that spinning in the first two gears is oh so easy

Easy enough to spin in with an Ascent, let alone a Sportivo O.o

It makes driving in this wet weather challenging......only thing I hate is the fact that spinning in the first two gears is oh so easy

in the sportivo, in the wet, 1st and 2nd are almost impossible to use lift ... wheel spinning is nuts .... 3rd is fairly easy though

Ever since my front sway bar install i have had no axle tramp, even in the wet, it just spins!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm not sure y it fixed it, but its completely gone!!!!!!!!!

Edited by VVTLiR

Ever since my front sway bar install i have had no axle tramp, even in the wet, it just spins!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm not sure y it fixed it, but its completely gone!!!!!!!!!

sorry for the OT guyss, but axle tramp would be the quick thud thud thud i sometimes recieve when my wheels start spinning?

thanks,

chris

sorry for the OT guyss, but axle tramp would be the quick thud thud thud i sometimes recieve when my wheels start spinning?

thanks,

chris

yes

even in third you can feel some minor slippage.......forget about lift altogether I can't boot it past 3K without axle tramp dramas

I hate the wet weather!! I WANT TO GO FISHING!!

The rain separates the men from the boys :P

hey guys ..

i drove an ascent with a cai .. and boi oh boi .. sydney had some crazy ***** rains man .. and i survived IT !!! haha .. as long as u dont drive in puddles and stuff or drive fast into them then ur fine .. at first i was so nervous abotu driving in the rain .. but i got over it .. just drive in the middle lane if there is one .. and if not then drive on the furthest away from the gutter.. :D high chance of puddle build ups :D xD

what happens when u hydro lock ur engine ? can it b used again or not ?