Pushing down the POD filter on the CAI

neK

Hi Guys,

Got my CAI installed about 2 weeks ago (thanks Qkslvr - I owe you one :D )

Now ive got a preface lift conquest (1zz) and dont have any foggies (but there's wiring for the foggies if I want them).

Now there wasnt enough room to push to the pod filter down, so its up a fair bit

caiinstallaj7.gif

I dont think im getting the proper airflow, and while the car sounds nice, the performance some what feels like its decreased :(

So im wondering is there a way to push the POD down without removing the fog light covers.

Im looking at the POD and cant figure out what was actually hitting it.

Do any of the 1zz guys know a way around this? I would prefer to stick with the TRD pod as opposed to buying a K&N one, so guys please post up your suggestions.

Thanks!

Edited by neK

as ive done to my previous 05 stivo...you can unbolt the plastice thing from underneath ur car and install it from there.

its only a small piecce of plastic u gotta unbolt and yeah =]

should be able to fit on a 1zz.

If you don't have fog lights there should be heaps of room with no obstruction unless you didn't remove the intake resonator (The white bottle).

the intake resonator was removed. There was no choice as it was blocking the entire cavity where the pod should sit. Ken, try undoing the clamp and see if you can force it down further. I can't remember what was in the way.

Hey was wondering if this CAI that was installed on the 1zz is the same ones that go on the 2zzges or is there a different design one for the 1zz compared to the 2zzge ones.

you also need one of those PP performance intake scoops by percel performance that would help air flow. Apparently you can modify an icecream container for airflow also.

Edited by stuart bauer

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I didnt want to start yet another CAI thread so I will post my question here, and dont think im having a whinge about your awesome install effort mickey! :D

Is it normal for the car to smell like its over fuelling with the CAI attached?? I can pretty much watch the fuel guage drop as well :help:

I understand that more air is getting in so the car would use more fuel, but we made a temp cover for that appendix thing with a bolt and some hose :lol: so I was thinking maybe extra air was getting in either there or where the MAF sensor sits???

i think its kinda normal especially when cold. I do remember mine doing that.

And u reminded me simo... When i installed it my mega strength snapped one of the maf sensor screws. Shoddy trd parts i say. So problem is half the screw is stuck in the thread of the hole and only one screw is holding the maf in... How can i get the old screw out so i can jam a new one in? My thoughts were a tiny drill bit into the screw... Any other suggestions?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I didnt want to start yet another CAI thread so I will post my question here, and dont think im having a whinge about your awesome install effort mickey! :D

Is it normal for the car to smell like its over fuelling with the CAI attached?? I can pretty much watch the fuel guage drop as well :help:

I understand that more air is getting in so the car would use more fuel, but we made a temp cover for that appendix thing with a bolt and some hose :lol: so I was thinking maybe extra air was getting in either there or where the MAF sensor sits???

if you can smell fuel, that is not a good thing. have you checked the hoses to and from the charcoal canister? even if you didn't cover the "appendage" on the CAI, it is pre-sensor so it wouldn't be unmetered air (it would be unfiltered air though) so it wouldn't stuff up your fuel mappings.

Hey was wondering if this CAI that was installed on the 1zz is the same ones that go on the 2zzges or is there a different design one for the 1zz compared to the 2zzge ones.

you also need one of those PP performance intake scoops by percel performance that would help air flow. Apparently you can modify an icecream container for airflow also.

The 1zz and 2zz's use the same kit. However, the rubber hose that connected the intake tube to the throttle body is made for the 2ZZ TB i.e the diameter is different. You can still fit it but the hose clamp will end up squeezing the rubber hose down to fit.

i think its kinda normal especially when cold. I do remember mine doing that.

And u reminded me simo... When i installed it my mega strength snapped one of the maf sensor screws. Shoddy trd parts i say. So problem is half the screw is stuck in the thread of the hole and only one screw is holding the maf in... How can i get the old screw out so i can jam a new one in? My thoughts were a tiny drill bit into the screw... Any other suggestions?

Shao did the same thing on one of his old TRD intakes, I got the snapped part out with a small drill bit and an easy out.

If it's not cross-threaded then you could also get the screw piece out using a small pin punch to spin the bit around.

Mickey is so strong, before he installed the CAI he lifted my car above his head :toast:

I will just nurse it till we get it sorted out :) even tho lift sounds ******en rad with it on :D :D

Edited by Simo

hey peoples ive got an 07 corolla and i want to put either a sc12 or sc 14 super charger on it from the old 4agze motor but im finding it hard to get one cheap does anyone have one cheap i dont mind if i have to rebuild it and im after some lite mods for more power like cam and exuast i got my air intake pipe down in the bottom of the bumper then a k&n pannel filter and i took half the exuast off and i seem to have a little more im lowering it then 17 inch wheels i debadge the ***** it looks tough and i put a good stereo in it i know they have semi forged internals so that why im so eager to super charge it so does anyone know of any more lite modsi can do for easy power

hey peoples ive got an 07 corolla and i want to put either a sc12 or sc 14 super charger on it from the old 4agze motor but im finding it hard to get one cheap does anyone have one cheap i dont mind if i have to rebuild it and im after some lite mods for more power like cam and exuast i got my air intake pipe down in the bottom of the bumper then a k&n pannel filter and i took half the exuast off and i seem to have a little more im lowering it then 17 inch wheels i debadge the ***** it looks tough and i put a good stereo in it i know they have semi forged internals so that why im so eager to super charge it so does anyone know of any more lite modsi can do for easy power

'

Is it even worth taking out an almost brand new engine, putting something old on it (like the super charger) ?

The Rolla would still be under warranty :unsure:

*back to the original post*

The car could feel more laggy due to the longer time it takes for air to travel through the Cai?

I noticed this before with the Goose and spoke to MAP81 about it, and he thought this was the case also.

If the trumpet i.e. the white thing in the driver side fog light well, is removed, you will achieve better air flow going directly to the CAi and hopefully it will feel less like crap.

With the fuel gauge dropping...umm, maybe an ECU reset?

So which internals in particular are "semi forged" and how do you "semi forge" something?

the old SC1x chargers are a waste of time.

well i havnt seen a sc1x charger before and the sc12 and sc14 are making forced induction wich anybody knows you are going to make power out of it thats just common sence and if you havnt heard of semi forged pistons and rods then i guess you cant help me anyway im just after someone who knows a bit about what i can do to my motor to make easy power im going to ty cam exuast charger and minnor remap the computer

haha mate... Wow. Rollamods is probably the person with the most knowledge of toyota engines that i have ever met. If he's saying your talking crap then i'm inclined to believe that your talking crap.

I don't understand what semi forged is either... Its either forged or not. And why would u just pick a random supercharger that fits onto a reasonably old engine? Clearly it isn't just a matter of "making forced induction" to gain power... If u can do that why isn't everyone just picking a random supercharger and jamming it on their engine. Clearly there is a lot more to it.

And if u want to remap the computer, u'd want to buy an aftermarket ecu. Unless u know a trick about remapping standard toyota ecu's, and if u do i assure u there are many people on here who would be interested to please share?

and by sc1x rollamods means all superchargers that are branded with the prefix sc1_ so by that i would imagine he is including the brilliant sc12 and sc14. I say brilliant cos apparently u can jam them on the engine and make power! Amazing!

I ran out of breath half way through reading that. :rolleyes::blink:

The SC1x series of chargers from the 4agze's and the 1GGZE's are made by Ogura. Please take a look in your engine bay and tell me where you think you can fit any of the SC1x series in the bay. Dont forget that you have the inlet and outlet pipes that bolt onto the charger too which make it even more space consuming... The charger dimensions can be found here: http://www.oguraclutch.co.jp/english/e_pro...sc/sc_siyou.htm

So if you don't know what component's are semi-forged, then did you mean the pistons are hypereutectic? You can't semi-forge a piston.

i understand the what you are saying about the sc1# my mistake ill try and find some information on my internals for you guys i work for a toyots dearlership so i can get our tech 2 to minor remap my computer and as you said about the room factor i havnt got much to play with so thats why im going to get onto that site and see if it will fit thats why im asking questions about it to see if anyones has done anything like that on my zre152r and i dont think im going to get any lag due to its forced induction and it will only be the tiny bit of lag because i ant changeing my internals but thanks for your help that link will be helpful

*A message to all owners of the new Corolla model*

Nobody has done anything to these cars... No performance parts have been made yet... You are the pioneers

*/message to all owners of the new Corolla model*

In my opinion, if you want a faster Corolla, sell the new one and buy a ZZE123 - the new model was not built for speed

unless of course you plan on using the japanese all wheel drive platform and swapping the motor for a 3S-GE BEAMS ;)

in that case... talk to Mr Bates.

He'll tell u to go away. What they do to the rolla's isn't exactly legal for the street :(