Fuel consumption survey (3.5L Kluger)

Taka

Yeah I agree, once this tank runs out I'm going 95... I got a good feeling it will be the best compromise all round. 100% can agree it sure does make great power and gut feel is its lower in consumption, though hard to tell covering sub 2000km thus far with all types of varying driving styles employed :unsure:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tire pressure too low could skew these as well, run both my cars on 40psi, on the high side but they go to 44.

I tried pretty much all pressures as follows

I settled on 38 as the ideal compromise for my KX-S and its tire wheel package, the higher figures resulted in a mismatch between the suspension and the tire resulting in unease over imperfections in bitumen road for my liking. Not much difference in fuel economy that I could tell.

The lower tire pressures had a bit too much rolling resistance and also the car wallowed a bit too much on the side walls for my advanced driving level lol *its a feel thing*

So yeah I am on 38 psi cold pressure (15 deg C) and like it :toast:

I decided on 36psi for the KX-R, which has the higher profile tyres.

I kept the Grande at 38psi and will do the same when the next one arrives.

On my cars, I try to find the pressure that gives the least noise on a reasonable slow corner at a set speed as this is most likely when the tyre is flat on the road and should wear evenly. It's also more progressive when it starts losing grip.

Toyota ALWAYS understates the fuel tanks... You will always be reading 0 klms left before empty and there will be craploads left. ;)

The TRD I been driving for a few months never needs more than 55L (70L tank) even if light flashing and saying 0 klms left. lol

Hey, better to err on the side of Caution, Toyota plays it safe! ;)

The TRD I been driving for a few months never needs more than 55L (70L tank) even if light flashing and saying 0 klms left. lol

My 2nd fill in the Kluger took only 59 litres, even though the trip computer was saying about 20km remaining.

My KX-S AWD showed 11.6l/100km with 1 daughter and 4 noisy and off-tune friends, plus me, for a inter-school Touch Footy trip last Friday - that was doing just over 110km/hr by GPS (closer to 120 by the speedo).

How many km's are people getting for a standard tank refill (say 60ltr fillup)?

My first on standard unleaded was around 550km (60ltr refill)

Second tank about 580km (62 ltr refill; some hwy driving)

Haven't had a complete refill since but my feeling is this is improving.

I have a mix of 91 and 95 at the moment and my next full tank will be 95, as you guys are recommending.

I'm interested on how many actual km people are getting for a tank up to fuel light and is it an accuratet reflection on the ecomony changes people are seeing?

Filled with Premium 95? from Woolies servo (36psi tire pressure) went to Morwell hill climb track.

Round trip from here was exactly 312km and I averaged 9.3lt per 100km sitting on steady 105kph speedo indicated or just over 100kph actual speed, did three full throttle over taking passes (up to 130~kph or so to clear traffic) but apart from that simple cruising at just over sign posted speeds all the way. This journey also consisted of 6 passes through towns (there and back) and about a total of stopping at 8 sets of traffic lights all up from memory.

The first and last 15km of this journey from my place to bairnsdale is quite hilly in nature and this always uses more fuel (10.8 is the norm for 30km round trip)...

So yeah can comfortably say with lots of confidence that you will easily do well under 9.5lt per 100km on flat land without needing to drive like a homo at 85kph to save fuel lol..... IMHO its not worth annoying other road users no matter how much petty costs at the pump.

p.s. My ride is a KX-S Kluger AWD with 2300km on odo running Mobil 1 0W-40 engine oil

temperature outside was 5 deg C going there and 17 deg C on way home, the little green worm on the same sections of road did read lower on return journey because of the 12 deg C higher ambient temperature).

I used to work at Tralagon and the drive to Bainsdale is very nice. Under 10 is really achievable. Thinking my old Camry 3L V6 did 8L/100km on the princess highway. That is incredible.

:( you guys are getting some pretty good fuel economy readings from your Klugers. I only wish we could come close to that with the CX-9. I've gotten it down to 10.9L/100km on the highway, but during normal suburban driving it averages around 13-14L/100km. I went on a 240km round trip with most of it uphill and averaged 14.4L/100km. All of this was done using 95 RON.

Got my best record so far in the trip from brisbane to caloundra (about 130KM) highway, rainy, 7.8 L/100KM.

I normally get around 9L at highway, and about 12L at suburb roads.

Some gusty tail wind there... :lol:

I found headwind will damage the fuel consumption on highway, as one way is 12L/100km and the other 8L/100km going from Geelong and back

The low fuel light comes on quite early, i reckon u can get another 100ks from it. 450kms is good if you can get it, been using 95, thats before the light comes on...u'd get more on highway driving. This is 25% highway, 75 short trips.

Some gusty tail wind there... :lol:

I found headwind will damage the fuel consumption on highway, as one way is 12L/100km and the other 8L/100km going from Geelong and back

are you sure you did not drop off an obese at geelong?

G'Day all,

I just found this site and it looks to have some good feedback.

For the record, I own a 2008 AWD Grande. Had it for 3 weeks now and already have 3600 km on the clock, thanks to a return trip Sydney - Brisbane.

Like all others here, I'm a little dissapointed at the computer in general. The Cruising Range is understated by about 100km hence I am only adding about 60 litres when there is 40 km Cruising Range on the computer and also the "estimated" Economy, it reads about 0.5 l/100km under the actual, in the most recent fill for example, it read 10.3, but doing the manual calc (l / km * 100) produced 10.83 (which by the way is the best econ I have been able to achieve).

The "handbrake" gets high 14's/low 15's doing the school/cappuccino scene (every day use, her and 3 kids 6yo - 14yo) where I am getting low 11's on the highway (all 5 in the car with a Pacific 200 pod fully loaded on the roof).

Other than that, absolutely love the car.

Although not quite on subject, I also note the Speedo and Odometer are a bit out, but in opposite directions ... Speedo is a constant 5 kmph over that recorded on a hand held GPS (Garmin Nuvi 660) but the Odometer is out the other direction, Car/GPS ... 15 / 15.33, 30 / 30.63, 45 / 45.92 which does not make sense to me.

BlackAdder

Last trip was 472 k's and the light came on, 91 octane, trip comp said 25 k's to go, avg 12.5 and took 61 litres to fill

90% counrtry roads and highway, towing a box trailer with 2 motorbikes and full of gear etc. 2 adults, 2 kids, back of the Kluger full as well.

Speedo was sitting on 100 - 120.

Edited by Cookie

Like all others here, I'm a little dissapointed at the computer in general. The Cruising Range is understated by about 100km hence I am only adding about 60 litres when there is 40 km Cruising Range on the computer and also the "estimated" Economy, it reads about 0.5 l/100km under the actual, in the most recent fill for example, it read 10.3, but doing the manual calc (l / km * 100) produced 10.83 (which by the way is the best econ I have been able to achieve).

BlackAdder

BlackAdder,

Firstly welcome.

Let me elaborate how I think the computer caluation is superior than the old fuel up calculation method. <_<

The computer data gather the figures from fuel trim and calculation of the duty cycle (jargon there). In layman term, they will estimate the amount of fuel being put into the engine at the time. The speed and time travelled at the same time will be recorded by the ECU. Then a trick of calculation and you will have the average fuel consumption. Now, the variables here are being the fuel being deliver and the distance travel. The fuel part is very accurate since the amount of fuel put in is pre-determined by the computer and that is, hopefully, the amount being put in the camber. The distance covered, however, could be out since our speedo is out of tune, experienced by most of us here.

On the contary, our very user friendly method of using filling up to the top volume divided by the amount travelled indicated by the Odometer have some inherited flaws. Firstly, unless you are using the same pump at the same time. The amount that "you think you have used" since the last filled up may not be accurate. Because you have no way to know you have filled to the exact same level. A litre or so out over 400km will give you a 0.25L/100km different. And how many times we shake the car and put in another 3-4L in the tank :lol: . Secondly, you also use the highly accurate odometer of our Kluger to measure the distance (which has the same inaccuracy from the computer).....

After all the above verbral diarrhoea on my part, I think I have to recommend you sticking with the computer and save your time doing the calculation. And hence, asking how many kilometers per tank is out of fashion statement.

Hopefully I did not offend and have faith in the system provided. I hope all cars should have one of our computer.

After all the above verbral diarrhoea on my part, I think I have to recommend you sticking with the computer and save your time doing the calculation. And hence, asking how many kilometers per tank is out of fashion statement.

Hopefully I did not offend and have faith in the system provided. I hope all cars should have one of our computer.

G'Day there Taka,

No offense taken, good mutual communication should never cause offense!

Interestingly, I also have a 2007 Holden Astra CDTi (Turbo Diesel) 6 speed manual ... the handbrake says it's my mid-life crisis and I have to agree, it goes like a cut snake and does Southern Sydney to northern Brisbane on 52 litres ;-) it has a computer in it also, beyond the increase in range from time to time when you get onto the freeway, I have found it to be extremely accurate, for economy / range / remaining fuel etc, it has never been out by more than 0.05 l/100km on economy and no more than 2 litres out on usage. As it is the only computer I can compare against, you can see my disdain for the Kluger version.

All that being said, I still think the Kluger is one hell of a beastie, the handbrake loves it and to coin an old saying ... Happy Wife = Happy Life! So, I'll just have to get my head around the missing 100km or so in the tank. Interesting point on the tyre pressure, will check that tomorrow.

P.S. Does anyone know of a supplier/manufacturer of a longer range/auxiliary tank ? I'd just like to increase by 13 - 18 litres to give me 85 / 90 litres.

BlackAdder

Good choice of Diesel. Vauxhall diesel has good review in the UK.

Yeah the inaccuracy is mainly due to the fuel tank and the fuel pump, so don't stress about it.

I was wondering why there was not too many bites at this post.......I was talking *******!

What I mean't to say was 450 then 480 for a 'tank' as per below.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How many km's are people getting for a standard tank refill (say 60ltr fillup)?

My first on standard unleaded was around 550km (60ltr refill)

Second tank about 580km (62 ltr refill; some hwy driving)

Haven't had a complete refill since but my feeling is this is improving.

I have a mix of 91 and 95 at the moment and my next full tank will be 95, as you guys are recommending.

I'm interested on how many actual km people are getting for a tank up to fuel light and is it an accuratet reflection on the ecomony changes people are seeing?

Checked out the new Eastlink Tollway here in Melbourne today. With 95% freeway driving using cruise control average fuel usage was 8.4lt :D This is the first decent run I have done in the car, all my driving is stop start traffic. Cant believe we got that type of economy out of a 7 seater AWD!. Amazing. For the record I am just running reg. unleaded (91?).

• 3 months later...

I recently did a 2600km trip up to QLD and back over two weeks and was quite pleased with the economy of the Kluger, loaded with luggage, two adults and two children (KX-S AWD, 91 RON)

The best I got between fills was a very pleasing 10.8l/100km on the highway. Where we stopped and did local running around (to beach, shops etc) the economy jumped to 11.9-12.5l/100km between fills.

I found the best economy for speed was at around 100-105km/hr measured by GPS. We came home via the Newell Highway, and when sitting on 115km/hr by GPS I didn't achieve below 12.3l/100, so it pays not to rush!

Seeing Australia by Kluger has to be one of the most comfortable and relaxing ways to do it, there were no complaints from the kids in the back and I certainly didn't feel like I had driven as many k's each day. My only complaint is that I would like the seats to be more bolstered, as some of the winding roads highlighted how flat they are (although I was used to WRX seats prior to the Kluger)

Cheers

PS: could a mod please sticky this thread? I think it's worthwhile keeping at the top

Edited by holmesie

we averaged without trailer but full car load, 11.9l/100kms from Frankston to Adelaide city. This was over a variety of roads up hills etc, also a fair bit of 110kms speeds. I found the fuel gage is over compensating, to make sure we dont run out of fuel, i believe once it hits 0kms to go, you got about enough fuel for 100kms...? I didnt test this theory out though lol...