The Great Petrol Test

Hi Guys,

A Current Affair recently conducted a test on major fuel brands to prove which brands provides the best fuel efficiency.

A Current Affair - The Great Petrol Test

The result - Caltex uses the least amount of fuel while BP uses a lot more fuel.

So much for the claim by BP that their fuel is a lot more better then their competitors. Even United Fuel did better

Hi Guys,

A Current Affair recently conducted a test on major fuel brands to prove which brands provides the best fuel efficiency.

A Current Affair - The Great Petrol Test

The result - Caltex uses the least amount of fuel while BP uses a lot more fuel.

So much for the claim by BP that their fuel is a lot more better then their competitors. Even United Fuel did better

Not the most scientific test in the world... I'd take the results with a grain of salt, like all other ACA content.

To me that just means that Caltex has a greater Ethanol Content which isn't all that good for your car if it hasn't been designed to run with such Ethanol content.

If you say that Caltex has greater Ethanol content, then how would have Caltex come first for fuel efficiency. Ethanol contains less Heat Energy compared to petrol. Fuel consumption is meant to be a lot more higher when petrol is blended with Ethanol. On the upside it's a boost in the Octane Rating.

To me that just means that Caltex has a greater Ethanol Content which isn't all that good for your car if it hasn't been designed to run with such Ethanol content.

i've been hearing that alot these days. BP is meant to have the cleanest.purest full.

i've been hearing that alot these days. BP is meant to have the cleanest.purest full.

So BP says. As does Caltex/Shell etc

Depending where you are in Oz, you get the same stuff anyway. There are so many factors as to what fuel gives more power/better economy etc. It cannot be properly tested in real world conditions because there are too many variables.

The only good fuel test I have seen is the one that Motec did which was posted on here a few days back. It was done with an engine only set up in the same way it would be set up in the vehicle (evo9) and tested with the same amount of fuel (60ltr), flushed, ecu reset and then new fuel (next brand). this was all while monitoring temps to make sure its accurate. that was only for power, and the winner of that was Shell 100 Octane, but then again that doesnt say much as it was compared to 98 octane fuels, so there is no comparison

"2) P-Plate driver - Used 14.28L - Trip cost $20.99. Save $4.00 per quarter tank or $16.00 per tank of fuel compared to aggressive driver."

I like how they use a p-plater driver to test a vehicle... Not all p-platers drive like idiots.......

Even better, I remember UWA running a test where they did a similar test to Motec, but with no driving - they simply got an engine and put fuel through it. I have no idea what the results were, but I'm sure they're published somewhere.

Exactly right - little cash incentive to Packer and Co.

This IS channel 9 we are dealing with. Anyone ever notice that on the 'Today' program in the mornings, the little bar that shoots across to reveal the interviewees name and whatnot looks remarkably like a cigarette??

I'd say thats no coincidence... neither the stories that ACA dreams up...

Edited by Leroy

wow...always thght it would be the other way around....bt the big question is...wats better for the engine is it really BP ultimate?

I'm sure there's no blanket answer. I personally found most of the brands to be utterly crap for my mileage, especially the E10. For me, BP works fine. You've just gotta try each one yourself a few times (and remember to reset your trip meter each fill!). Shows like ACA and TT make me want to vomit on a good day; as a scientist myself, their empirical stories demonstrate little more than their contemptuous attitude for the scientific method, let alone their generally dubious, snake oil-style reporting standards.

Edited by Keisari

That test was an absolute joke and in no way scientific as stated by rollamods and mick.

Ampol came last didn't they? Caltex came first. Caltex supply fuel to Ampol. End of story.

pretty sure you mean Mobil, but same deal.

The test wasnt paid for by any oil company, more likeloy it was paid for by Holden as thats what was used in the test. Anyway, who cares, 1 they are holdens, 2 its ACA so its just crap.

The test wasnt paid for by any oil company, more likeloy it was paid for by Holden as thats what was used in the test. Anyway, who cares, 1 they are holdens, 2 its ACA so its just crap.

Uber post made my day.

haha for the likeloy part? good spelling

Uber post made my day.

haha for the likeloy part? good spelling

lol

"...it's ACA, so it's just crap."

They were on there the other night pinning people with sushi bars for hand making food. Of course let's discourage people from eating healthy food and jump on down to Maccas where the food it REALLLLLL good for ya!

...noobs they are