New member, New car User...Just some questions for the more experienced.

Well just wanted to say Hi to everyone and to get some possible help and questions answered.

I have a White Corolla Ascent 06 Hatchback ZZE122 and am from WA.

So far all ive done is replace the stock cd player thats a total pos (damn small displays and only like 15-30 characters...) With and Alpine CDA-9885 and its just insanly better sound and useability. Then a towbar, weathershields is all ive done so nothing extreme.

My questions are as follows :whistling:

Ill also let people in on the fact that im a noob when it comes to cars. (Still on my P's and this is my first car so not too much laughing please)

I try not to thrash my car while driving but sometimes I either need to accelerate quickly or just feel like it. What is the limits that are good for the car, rpm wise from gear to gear. The most ive ever reved it from like 1st -> 2nd and 2nd -> 3rd is between 3-4k rpm and sometimes it feels like itd be too much to do anymore. People with non-sportivos what are your limits? Also when changing gears its very clunky and makes a bit of a noise and isnt 100% smooth when changing. Ive got my 12month service coming up and what to get an idea if its something that the service people can adjust or fix for me.

Next on the list. Im wanting to do a few things to my car to make it stand out a bit from the 1000's of other white corollas around :P. Ive enquired at a few places around Perth for some black rear lights as my next task and also those snazzy door sills look nice. Kinda happy with the power of the car as its more than I imagined it would be so mainly cosmetic.

I might save my next few questions for another topic another day. Any help or opinions will be great. Thanks guys and hopefully will be able to take part in some WA Get Togethers

Well just wanted to say Hi to everyone and to get some possible help and questions answered.

So far all ive done is replace the stock cd player thats a total pos (damn small displays and only like 15-30 characters...) With and Alpine CDA-9885 and its just insanly better sound and useability. Then a towbar, weathershields is all ive done so nothing extreme.

Ill also let people in on the fact that im a noob when it comes to cars. (Still on my P's and this is my first car so not too much laughing please)

I try not to thrash my car while driving but sometimes I either need to accelerate quickly or just feel like it. What is the limits that are good for the car, rpm wise from gear to gear. The most ive ever reved it from like 1st -> 2nd and 2nd -> 3rd is between 3-4k rpm and sometimes it feels like itd be too much to do anymore. People with non-sportivos what are your limits? Also when changing gears its very clunky and makes a bit of a noise and isnt 100% smooth when changing. Ive got my 12month service coming up and what to get an idea if its something that the service people can adjust or fix for me.

Next on the list. Im wanting to do a few things to my car to make it stand out a bit from the 1000's of other white corollas around :P. Ive enquired at a few places around Perth for some black rear lights as my next task and also those snazzy door sills look nice. Kinda happy with the power of the car as its more than I imagined it would be so mainly cosmetic.

I might save my next few questions for another topic another day. Any help or opinions will be great. Thanks guys and hopefully will be able to take part in some WA Get Togethers

oh gosh i think WA is GROWING like no where else :P there r few of us white rolla around :) there are a lot u can do to stand out from the crowd so come down to the meet on the 5th of spril for more details cick on the link below

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...t=0&start=0

for me i guess im not TOO affraid of getting it to 6000rpm as long as it doesnt go past redline i dont see much of a problem? i duno maybe thats just me and i believe toyota are built to last so they shouldnt be afraid of being pounded :P to a certain extend but again :D:D the next meet should be resonably big with different cars around (not just corolla)

so dont miss out :D we'd love to see more new people in our TEAM NO BIRD :P

Even if you bounce it off the rev limiter a couple of times it's okay... It's a common misconception that revving a car is bad for it. What's the deal with that?? The car is made to rev, rev it! You won't be seeing any decent power until 4000RPM so you'll find yourself up there freqently. I suggest you get a CAI and then you'll be revving it all the time just to hear the sweet noise.

As for the gearbox, that sounds about right. They're very notchy. If you think it's a problem ask the mechanic to change the gearbox oil. But the gearboxes are made to shift with two distinct clunks so it's foolproof

Even if you bounce it off the rev limiter a couple of times it's okay... It's a common misconception that revving a car is bad for it. What's the deal with that?? The car is made to rev, rev it! You won't be seeing any decent power until 4000RPM so you'll find yourself up there freqently. I suggest you get a CAI and then you'll be revving it all the time just to hear the sweet noise.

HEHEHEHE... I like :P

Very true thou, even for the 1zz u feel a slight push in the bum once u hit 3500 - 4000 rpm.. just slightly :D and of course as Tayles said if u have the CAI u'd be listening to soothing music!

oh gosh i think WA is GROWING like no where else :P there r few of us white rolla around :) there are a lot u can do to stand out from the crowd so come down to the meet on the 5th of spril for more details cick on the link below

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...t=0&start=0

for me i guess im not TOO affraid of getting it to 6000rpm as long as it doesnt go past redline i dont see much of a problem? i duno maybe thats just me and i believe toyota are built to last so they shouldnt be afraid of being pounded :P to a certain extend but again :D:D the next meet should be resonably big with different cars around (not just corolla)

so dont miss out :D we'd love to see more new people in our TEAM NO BIRD :P

i have an 06 sedan.. changing gears at high revs will feel a bit clunky, especially with the stock shifter (my experiences) i personally dont feel the need to rev it up to 6k on the road?!

As for the gearbox, that sounds about right. They're very notchy. If you think it's a problem ask the mechanic to change the gearbox oil. But the gearboxes are made to shift with two distinct clunks so it's foolproof

With the price of petrol these days you wouldn't want to rev it!

I've just recently realised how to keep the revs down, and its helping me save money.. :whistling::yahoo:

Oh, but then again, I don't get to listen to the 'soothing music'.. hehe

Edited by Ic3Man

Tayles right... theres nothing wrong with abit of rev's...

i have a '02' white (yes me too!!!) corolla ascent sedan, non sportivo.

toyota has already found the limits of the car and it's engine, which is 6,200rpm,

so you should be fine with any thing under that..

shifting under 4,000 rmp is fine for every day driving but your missing out on all the fun!!! peek torque is at 4,200 rpm and peek power is at 6,000 rpm...

so don't be afraid of herting your car, as long as you maintain it...

but don't thrash your car untill your confident to do so ;)

HEHEHEHE... I like :P

Very true thou, even for the 1zz u feel a slight push in the bum once u hit 3500 - 4000 rpm.. just slightly :D and of course as Tayles said if u have the CAI u'd be listening to soothing music!

i gotta get me some of that sweet sweet soothing music too :D

i have an 06 sedan.. changing gears at high revs will feel a bit clunky, especially with the stock shifter (my experiences) i personally dont feel the need to rev it up to 6k on the road?!

find that sometimes when u get out of an intersection.. hrm especially the busy one where u only have | | room to get through :P should just rev it up abit so u dont ***** ppl behind ya of course i know u shouldnt pull out if its too tight but yeh :P

Id love to come to the meet up but im away that weekend. The next one ill def come to and meet up and see some of the stuff people have done. Im gonna test out a bit higher revs on the way home if im feeling confident enough after a hard day at work :P

Thanks for all the replys so far guys im sure ill be on here alot more as time goes by and I get more money and confidence.

Edit:

Also has anyone in the perth sector managed to find some decently priced rear lights for the hatchback, preferably want black (hate chrome). Went into the autoshop at midland gate and they want $340 for some no namers. Just seems a bit much so any help there would be good.

Edited by keifer33

Id love to come to the meet up but im away that weekend. The next one ill def come to and meet up and see some of the stuff people have done. Im gonna test out a bit higher revs on the way home if im feeling confident enough after a hard day at work :P

Thanks for all the replys so far guys im sure ill be on here alot more as time goes by and I get more money and confidence.

Edit:

Also has anyone in the perth sector managed to find some decently priced rear lights for the hatchback, preferably want black (hate chrome). Went into the autoshop at midland gate and they want $340 for some no namers. Just seems a bit much so any help there would be good.

pm dannyboy about the lights, he found a shop on ebay selling them pretty cheap..

Edit:

alternatively u can just ebay them they shouldnt be more then 300 posted in danny's case he got it for 250 posted

here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Corolla-01-07-3-5-D...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JDM-BLACK-TAIL-LIGH...bayphotohosting

A heavier gear knob (>400g) would help quite a bit with the gear changing.

I've currently got a TRD shortshifter, RAZO 480g gear knob, TWM shifter base & cable bushing and I love it. The heavier gear knob will help with the notchiness, which I don't mind actually cause it feels more solid.

A heavier gear knob (>400g) would help quite a bit with the gear changing.

I've currently got a TRD shortshifter, RAZO 480g gear knob, TWM shifter base & cable bushing and I love it. The heavier gear knob will help with the notchiness, which I don't mind actually cause it feels more solid.

I know it might sound newbie but you mean the gear knob as in the part you can just screw off or like the whole setup? Itd be nice if i just had to replace the actual knob part. Its something id be willing to try :P

Well went for a quick drive round the streets and the higher revs in 2nd gear managed to get between 5-6k but it kinda feels like the car is working too hard and wasnt game to do it much more. Its good to know my car can do it but I cant see it being good doing it all the time some how.

Also might have to shop around for gear knobs somemore tomorrow at some of the places around, online sucks cant find anything that isnt like $150-200 which is insane for a gear knob I think. If anyone can recommend somewhere in Perth that would be very good...or even online.

Well went for a quick drive round the streets and the higher revs in 2nd gear managed to get between 5-6k but it kinda feels like the car is working too hard and wasnt game to do it much more. Its good to know my car can do it but I cant see it being good doing it all the time some how.

Also might have to shop around for gear knobs somemore tomorrow at some of the places around, online sucks cant find anything that isnt like $150-200 which is insane for a gear knob I think. If anyone can recommend somewhere in Perth that would be very good...or even online.

if u go buy a weighted gear knob instore its should cost u bout $100+.. if u want something very heavy check out http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/

they have some very nice knobs and they are made of quality materials..