Nulon Treatments

I was thinking of adding Nulon E30 long term treatment to my Sportivo as it just came out of 50000k service but I had the mechanic tell me that he did not like that stuff and not to use it. (Did not really give me a good explanation why not to use it, I’ve already bough it $40)

I have a few friends that swear by it and use it in their cars.

Has anyone added it to the Sportivo? Has anyone had any good or bad experience with this additive in the Sportivo?

Thanks.

If you buy quality oils/fluids then there is no need for additives as they will already have everything that is needed in them. The after market additive just throws everything out of balance and most often does more damage than good. This is why the manufacturers started selling their own oils to prevent people from thinking they needed to add something to it to make it better for their car. What the manufacturer sells is just relabelled Castrol, Mobil, etc.

If you buy quality oils/fluids then there is no need for additives as they will already have everything that is needed in them. The after market additive just throws everything out of balance and most often does more damage than good. This is why the manufacturers started selling their own oils to prevent people from thinking they needed to add something to it to make it better for their car. What the manufacturer sells is just relabelled Castrol, Mobil, etc.

x2

there are certain additives which I an a few other members on here use but it isn't comercailly available. Those in the motor racing circles(namely drags and some forms of circuit) will know if that's for sure cause it does what it says it does.

Nulon is rubbish. It contains molys,teflons, graphites etc which are basic suspended solids that travel around your engine in your oil till they reach the sump where they stay. They don't attach themsleves to any moving parts but moreso sit in the sump of your engine and will eventually start to clog up your oil pick gauze screen causing oil starvation and which leads to engine failure.

Most or should I say nearly all of these wonder products do the same thing. Very very few actually work as they say.

As for the differences in oils that is another story altogether. Superdave remind me to show you something you of all people and your ongiong quest for all things of mechanical knowledge will find interesting.....

theres an engine treatment my uncles uses in his trucks, its called promar or something like that.. i will try and look it up, there were some pretty interesting tests done on it but he swears by it!

i wouldnt use any, as someone said above its about using quality oils and regular oil changing ;)

theres an engine treatment my uncles uses in his trucks, its called promar or something like that.. i will try and look it up, there were some pretty interesting tests done on it but he swears by it!

i wouldnt use any, as someone said above its about using quality oils and regular oil changing ;)

Pro Ma is full of graphites, moly's and suspended solids.

As for the differences in oils that is another story altogether. Superdave remind me to show you something you of all people and your ongiong quest for all things of mechanical knowledge will find interesting.....

I like technical stuff :D

i used tht nulon full system cleaner....and to tell u the truth couldnt tell the difference.....bt i have only used it once....so...dunno if it actually works......

If i was to put anything with my oil it would be "roil"

magical stuff

MMM love that Roil... i call it horsepower in a bottle :toast:

the only nulon stuff I use is the octane booster. It has been tested as the best on the market and alos one of the cheapest.

• 1 month later...
If i was to put anything with my oil it would be "roil"

magical stuff

MMM love that Roil... i call it horsepower in a bottle :toast:

the only nulon stuff I use is the octane booster. It has been tested as the best on the market and alos one of the cheapest.

This Roil doesn't seem to be available commercially. Where can i buy them? AND too late, I've already put the Nulon E30 in my car. 5h!tsss......

Will the next oil change get them all out?

I put some Nulon Octane Boost & Clean in my car along with Shell V-Power.

I havent noticed anything yet...

lol. by initial reaction was, why would u need one? shell vpower is already...98ron...the OBC should be used for typically 91ron.

if u already spend so much on 98ron fuels...is OBC really going to make the difference? 100ron perhaps lol.

futhermore, this is what is stated on the website:

Its primary purpose is to increase the octane rating of normal unleaded petrol (typically 91 RON) to stop pinging (detonation) while its detergent additive cleans combustion chamber, inlet valve, carburettor and injection deposits.

i reckon u should just stay with using vpower for now. but if vpower reaches $2.2-$2.5 per litre...i might just go 91ron and get OBC...bloody hell, or get a freakin 1.6L VW Polo or a yaris for heavens sake...fossil fuels....*venting*~!!!~##@$

Edited by Wixy

there are certain additives which I an a few other members on here use but it isn't comercailly available. Those in the motor racing circles(namely drags and some forms of circuit) will know if that's for sure cause it does what it says it does.

Nulon is rubbish. It contains molys,teflons, graphites etc which are basic suspended solids that travel around your engine in your oil till they reach the sump where they stay. They don't attach themsleves to any moving parts but moreso sit in the sump of your engine and will eventually start to clog up your oil pick gauze screen causing oil starvation and which leads to engine failure.

Most or should I say nearly all of these wonder products do the same thing. Very very few actually work as they say.

now thats super interesting! :o

is that, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? (not an nulon supporter btw) but if that were to happen, would that mean cars out there to this date using nulon/stp treatments would suffer engine failure? wouldnt that be the result of lengthy ligation battles for provision of unsafe products to consumers?

i mean if that were to happen, the products shouldnt be allowed to be on the market, but they are exported to the world and people using them seem not to have suffered (not that i know of). i'm only saying this cuz e30 has been labeled "legendary" LOL in some peoples words. :help:

but yea, i reckon the worse case scenario is one would waste $30-$40 of their pocket and nothing would be done to their engine. it would just pop out within the next engine oil change.

but mmmm i did a random search as i was interested in this nulon stuff and whether it works, this guy said this:

Over here in Australia, we have an oil additive that works really well. Nulon engine treatment contains p.t.f.e. the slipperiest substance known to man. The Nulon company has formulated their additive so that the p.t.f.e coats all friction surfaces of the engine. How well does it work? Back in the nineties they treated the engine of a holden commodore (6 cylinder) and ran the engine as per intructions on the bottle, then drained all of the engine oil out, and then drove the car from Sydney to Melbourne, a distance of 600 kilometres (aprox. 360 miles) with NO oil in the engine. There was no obvious damage to the engine which still ran fine afterwards. This test was overseen by a Melbourne university proffessor , and after using the product for around 9 years now, I'm a convert. Not only does my engine run slightly cooler, it used less vacuum to hold 100 km/h. As for engine seals, I was told to put half a litre of a.t.f in my engine oil to clean up the internals ( I run a diesel nowdays), and a few days after the addition of the a.t.f. the engine stopped leaking oil, so theres no guessing what goes into my oil at every change, Nulon and a.t.f. By the way, since using nulon (nine years now) I have had no obvious engine wear, and I use the cheapest engine oil that I can find with the above combo.

from here

lol just my 2 cents of though. cheerios!

Edited by Wixy

Mate with a story like that do you believe it works?? You could almost put money on it that there is no way a car could go that distance with no oil at all. I certainly won't be trying it.

It's testimonies like these that I group with the wonder products like the "turbonator", "hiclone" and things like Brockies energy polariser.

Someone out there always trying to make a quick buck off the uneducated......

Over here in Australia, we have an oil additive that works really well. Nulon engine treatment contains p.t.f.e. the slipperiest substance known to man [PTFE, aka Teflon, has a very low coefficient of friction ("slippriness"), but it is not the lowest. ice, sinovial joint fluid and certain metals can all have lower coefficients of friction]. The Nulon company has formulated their additive so that the p.t.f.e coats all friction surfaces of the engine [what does this have to do with 'how it's been formulated?' perhaps does it not work itself through the engine?]. How well does it work? Back in the nineties [when?] they [who?]treated the engine of a holden commodore (6 cylinder) [sample size=ONE] and ran the engine as per intructions on the bottle, then drained all of the engine oil out, and then drove the car from Sydney to Melbourne, a distance of 600 kilometres (aprox. 360 miles) with NO oil in the engine. There was no obvious damage to the engine which still ran fine afterwards [according to who's standards? yours or a mechanical engineer's?]. This test was overseen by a Melbourne university proffessor [uh oh, 'professor' spelt incorrectly, and which professor? if a professor oversaw the test, the results should be published somewhere], and after using the product for around 9 years now, I'm a convert [amen tell it brother! therefore, everybody else should use it?]. Not only does my engine run slightly cooler [how did you determine this? and what part, the combusion, exhaust, ambient air??], it used less vacuum to hold 100 km/h [lol wut?]. As for engine seals, I was told [by who?]to put half a litre of a.t.f [automatic transmission fluid???]in my engine oil to clean up the internals ( I run a diesel nowdays), and a few days after the addition of the a.t.f. the engine stopped leaking oil, so theres no guessing what goes into my oil at every change, Nulon and a.t.f. By the way, since using nulon (nine years now) I have had no obvious engine wear [did you pull it apart?], and I use the cheapest engine oil that I can find with the above combo.

In summary: an uneducated, weasel word-laden, pseudoscientific rant. None of the claims are verifiable. Also worthy of note, the person who posted this on that forum has about 11 posts.

Edited by Keisari

Mate with a story like that do you believe it works?? You could almost put money on it that there is no way a car could go that distance with no oil at all. I certainly won't be trying it.

It's testimonies like these that I group with the wonder products like the "turbonator", "hiclone" and things like Brockies energy polariser.

Someone out there always trying to make a quick buck off the uneducated......

lol calm down

if u read my post i didnt disagree or agree with this stuff, im just merely seeing it from 2sides, just that the agreeing side was a tad... :help: over-rated? haha

if i had time and all the money in the world i'd like to prove him wrong! (the no engine oil thing LOL)

but hey, again, not saying this nulon stuff is bad or anything.

CLEARLY if we conducted a reasonable persons test by law, at VERY low percentage of people would actually believe the story of an engine running for 800kms syd to melb without engine oil, and without suffering engine damage.

We just need to look @ both ends, if engine failure IS claimed, why would people use it? why are stp and nulon engine treatments consistently the top sellers in world automotive additive markets?

if theres no factual justifications then we all just like the claimed uneducated guy who posted that story.

Edited by Wixy

Mate not having a go at you but I'm saying would you believe that story?? you didn't say whether you believed it or not in the way you posted.....

As for proof the companies are always gonna tell you it works. after having pulled some engines down from people who use this sort of stuff to find oil strainer pick ups in sumps full of the "suspended solids" that these additives are full of what do you think really happens? most of these sort of additives end up in the sump and then get trapped on the gauze fitler on the end of the oil pick up causing oil starvation over a period of time.

Best way to see if these "wonder additives" work is go to a race track and see how many people are actually using the stuff in their race cars. Very Very few will and a lot will tell you they tried and it didn't work or caused some from of problem.

Mate not having a go at you but I'm saying would you believe that story??

no worries, nothing taken anyway.

i did a search on monash university journals database, and found some articles that were readily avaliable on the net - or maybe i should've firstly started there <_< ive also logged into melbourne uni's journals database to verify mr. fantasy's claims on some melb university dude's research findings.

as said previously, i dont believe that story lol. it was something i found amusing and i knew it was turn people's heads.

it has been interesting, and so interesting that ive taken time to do some journal searching from creditable researchers. i think its in the best interests of car users, and most importantly, people on this forum - as i did i search and it seems the question of "do car additives work?" come time and time again. i would also like to know as i know people who swear by these products...

there are some good info out there, and from these articles, one can form their own opinion on additives, still yet to find anything creditable but these are some of whats in store.

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticleAsOnePage.aspx?id=104217

http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-Oil-Additives...?&id=597421

http://www.twincessna.org/oilad.pdf

http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

http://www.amsdj.com/products/oiladd.htm

some articles are again based on mere opinions, but others are mmmm from legitimate people?

bottomline is, most (car manufacturers, insurance companies, researchers) will recommend against all kinds of additives, but there is just not enough evidence out there that they cause harm, as testing costs too much - much of them are assumptions. but THERE is sufficient evidence out there to suggest they DONT work. *stress the differences*, thus no one can successfully claim just yet, that additives are bad, but i think they are getting closer :)

i did a search on monash university journals database, and found some articles that were readily avaliable on the net - or maybe i should've firstly started there <_< ive also logged into melbourne uni's journals database to verify mr. fantasy's claims on some melb university dude's research findings.

You're not doing science/engineering at all, are you? ;) I'm doing arts/science at Monash.

Shouldn't you be studying for exams atm?? :P

I was in the process of doing some research for the (now old) thread about the magic fuel tank device, but I got bogged-down with work. Very interesting though - there was at least one credible, rather famous scientist who was strongly backing the environmental benefits of it. However, after searching through ALL the 'research' they had, all they had was statistically insignificant results, uncontrolled methodology and references to unpublished, untranslated and probably not peer-reviewed 'science', if they referenced at all.

Although entirely O/T, I just wanted to highlight the importance of researching claims and adopting a skeptical position on them by default.

I've never been a big fan of additives. If the additive was so good the oil blenders would have blended it in. Oil isn't just oil, they add stuff to it like Moly, anti foam and detergents. Adding other stuff to this can throw everything out. More often than not, the additive can cause more air to enter the oil and prevent the anti foam from working. Many of the additive companies will show the gear test where the oil climbs up the gears. However since they do it at a slow speed it doesn't show up this foaming issue.

I'm not saying don't use them, but I'm not saying use them. It's one of those things none of us will ever be able to test in a large enough pool to have data that means anything, and then be able to test most, let alone all additives.

You're not doing science/engineering at all, are you? ;) I'm doing arts/science at Monash.

Shouldn't you be studying for exams atm?? :P

er? no, my last is one is 2molo, but im so over it hehe.

not doing science/eng but doing com/law. this stuff along with car detailing is just out of interest. did u have someone else in mind? :unsure:

yea i know journals/articles/research findings are just probably going to circulate and make a simple question even more confusing, but its just curiosity i guess. i'll get over it. :)