Coilovers best place to buy

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is extrememly general becasuse it depends exactly what you want... Do some research and find out exactly which coilover system is best for you. Look in the pinned thread called ##e12# part numbers and then have a look on the web, in members rides, talk to members etc.

Here's the options I've got in my head after doing my own personal research:

ISC: Their website. $1499

D2 - Ebay. $1000-$1200

G4 - Ebay. $1000-$1200

TEIN - Definitely not anywhere local because Fulcrum is the distributor and you will be paying for the margins of up to 3 extra middle men, so you'll be paying up to $1000 more (I got quoted as much as $2100). Best to source these direct from Japan using an internet auction proxy, or going through a web based Australian company like Nengun, Perfect Run or NextMod. Definitely wouldn't pay more than $1800 (absolute maximum) for TEIN Super Wagon/Street.

Cusco - Nengun, Perfect Run or NextMod. Looking at over $2000 for Zero2's.

Tananbe - Japanese auctions unless you know someone who lives there. Or get a quote from the web based companies but expect to pay a premium. Sustec Pro NF worth about $1200, Sustec Pro GF worth about $1400-$1500.

DMS - their website. If you have to ask about price then you can't afford them.

yourself, or revell in fyshwick, or capital steering and suspension.

I wouldn't get d2's, they aren't the best. For the price, u get similar quality.

They're still made in Taiwan. There has been speculation that D2 and G4 were based off the sasme British desgin, so they're basically the same thing with a few small differences (I think the G4 has a fully adjustable rear spring seat and the D2's don't, also the damping adjustability as you mentioned).

I guess it depends what you want. Your first big question is are you racing or not racing? You said it's for street only in your first post, so let's go with not racing. The G4's are decent enough for everyday use, but the spring rates on D2's and G4's are typically very hard (bumpy on the road!!), for track use. HOWEVER I was told by a member who had the G4's fitted on a Sportivo that they did not stand up to the occasional track day... Strange eh? Made in Taiwan. I think you can choose between a few different spring rates when you order your set so you would be wanting some nice comfortable ones rather than the "track-spec" like Rob got, but he has metal kidneys apparently.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. All the kits you're looking at (and the ones used by members here) are nothing but entry level setups. Anything under $2000 is a pretty cheap set (that includes the ones I have ordered, and it includes Cusco Zero2's) so we can't be expecting superstar performance here.

Edited by Tayles

I found this in another thread.

D2: ONLY get this if ur HARDcore. Although I had the track spec ones, i hear the street ones are not much better (in comfort). I would probably only recommend this to someone that is building a propose track car. The ability to 'really' fine tune the damper is great on track, but on the road you wont be able to tell the difference. I even got my springs changed to the same rates as Zero2's but the difference was very little; the shocks are just way to hard. Of course I could have got the shocks rebuilt, but to be honest I didn't want to spend the time and money on them at that stage. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed having them (I even drove on them from Bris to Syd and back last yr on the big meet). To me, the D2 was like having a cannon muffler; awesome at the start: handles like a go-kart / the roar at high revs, and then the negatives outweighs the positives: absolutely uncomfortable ride / droning (and looking like an noob :P).

Zero2: I had very high expectations from these, and I got to say.. i was not disappointed. First the damper spectrum is so much wider: hardest setting = Feels D2'ish, softest setting = I could drive to Perth on them. Therefore I would say this is the sensible and practical choice between the two. Since these aren't as bouncy as the D2's = more grip = better / predicable handling. These are better built too; no nosies at all, just the sexy sound that shocks make. Also if you buy them new or unadjusted, the install is a breeze, and the pre-adjusted high is so perfectly sexy.

People usually go for the cheaper alternative to mods thinking it won't be too far off to the premium ones, but with mods like this where the labor is usually quite expensive, you may as well just save up. And don't complaint on how expensive the Zero2's are cause your not in the modding game if you didn't have money to burn :whistling:

i got D2s, not real sure what spring rate the springs are specced to. It is definitely a bumpy ride. So bumpy that my gf told me her boobs were starting 2 hurt from the bumpiness!

But you can go around corners so fast

i got D2s, not real sure what spring rate the springs are specced to. It is definitely a bumpy ride. So bumpy that my gf told me her boobs were starting 2 hurt from the bumpiness!

But you can go around corners so fast

a chick said the same thing to me and i only got king super lows and oem shocks.

Buy Cusco Zero 1's if you aren't going to be hectic at the track all the time. For $1150 odd you can't go wrong in my opinion. Same as Zero 2's bar the fact they have less damper settings (that price is exclusive of shipping and from Nengun.com)

The D2's 'were' a bargain at the time for me. I only just installed mine this year (they sat out of the car for 1 1/2 years).

They are a quality product, yet they are let down by a subtle design flaw that causes the pillowballs to sometimes seize in the front end (the bearings that came with them are shagged). I'm actually certain that I received a 'dud', as a few of the other guys haven't had issues as bad as me with noise. It's also important to note that the seizing issue is nothing bar annoying. From the testing we did at the shop, the car still steers and handles perfectly. This could be detrimental to their life? I'm unsure.

I've done my personal research with them. I'll be using the D2's until the end of this year, or early next year.

What then? Zero 1's. D2's will become legs in a custom coffee table to serve as a symbolic reminder to me. I won't be selling them to anyone on here either, in fact, I refuse to. I have principles.

PS: I'm curious as to who you are by the way. You driving a white or black sportivo at all? Peter at Captial Steering and Suspension is the guy I'd recommend for coilover installs in the region. He's also a TEIN dealer.

Edited by KptzS Heinz Fredrikkson

i have a black 2004 stevo just put 18x7.5 shadow chrome wheels on it its sitting on s low kings at the moment. havent done much else ive ordered rear sway bar and front strut brace. thats all i want to do at the moment. apart from coilovers.

Edited by eden morris

i have a black 2004 stevo just put 18x7.5 shadow chrome wheels on it its sitting on s low kings at the moment. havent done much else ive ordered rear sway bar and front strut brace. thats all i want to do at the moment. apart from coilovers.

Interesting. I shall watch out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Okie dokie, the D2's are now annoying the **** out of me during cold weather (constant knocking noises now coming from the drivers side front). I'm not going to bother trying to fix it, because you can't polish a turd.

Cusco coilovers. Who should I buy from? Who is reputable? What is the warranty on them (not that I should be worried as they are already epic)?

I've been considering Nengun.com, because it seems a lot of people on here have bought from them.

I'll be contacting my suspension fellow later today and booking it in.

Nengun are pretty good, although there has been instances where parts would take some time to arrive.(More than a month)

Nengun don't keep stock unless it's on the big seller items, such as stuff for Skylines/Silvias. They kept me in the loop with my parts and informed me of delays.