Yaris or Corolla

Looking to buy either a new Yaris or Corolla, so far the difference between the two (auto sedan's) is $2000~$2500.

Is the corolla worth the extra? Or should i just stick with the Yaris?

Even though the Corolla has got an extra 20kw, its also 250kg heavier.

With petrol prices the way they are, the extra fuel economy on the yaris seems good too.

Decisions, decisions. What do you guys reckon?

go the corolla, not saying that just cause i own one, but cause they have a better resale value, and according to the RACV mag they are alot cheaper to repeair. plus they have more after market parts.

Agree on the re-sale value comment above. Also, it might be worth considering if Toyota decide to replace the Yaris with another small car (Starlet --> Echo --> Yaris), you'd be stuck in a small niche when it comes time to sell. Corollas are corollas. I doubt they'd get replaced anytime soon. If Toyota did decide to do it, it'd be suicide, like the Tiida replacing the Pulsars (imho).

The question I would like to ask you is....

Is it necessary to go up to the corolla??

I don't think resale value is any good in the corolla as there is so many 2nd hand ones for sale

If its your only car then a corolla for the extra room and practicality, if its mainly to commute to and from work then just get the yaris.

Looking to buy either a new Yaris or Corolla, so far the difference between the two (auto sedan's) is $2000~$2500.

Is the corolla worth the extra? Or should i just stick with the Yaris?

Even though the Corolla has got an extra 20kw, its also 250kg heavier.

With petrol prices the way they are, the extra fuel economy on the yaris seems good too.

Decisions, decisions. What do you guys reckon?

hey ken~

just saw ur other post~

thought she wanted to get a i30 or a Getz...

if she can afford a BMW.. then get it!!

I don't think resale value is any good in the corolla as there is so many 2nd hand ones for sale

x2

if you want good resale value... go get a civic

corolla has **** resale value...

edit: comparing to othe brands

Edited by XploShun

The question I would like to ask you is....

Is it necessary to go up to the corolla??

If its your only car then a corolla for the extra room and practicality, if its mainly to commute to and from work then just get the yaris.

agree with this. if you are ok with a smaller car and don't actually need the size of the corolla, get the yaris. cheaper, easier to park, uses less fuel, etc. all about what you need it for.

Having driven an auto corolla and yaris, for smooth ride quality - the corolla wins hands down. The auto box on the yaris is cumbersome and can't make up it's mind as in to either stay in gear or reach down for another one. <_<

As discussed already:

- Do you need the size?

Have you considered an Auto Starlet or Echo? They are tiny as, use minimal fuel - i.e. 35 odd Liters = 450km easy. (For a Manual starlet anyway, driving Crazy grand ma spec)

The number of cars for sale has nothing to do with resale value. Re-sale value has more to do with how much a car depreciates from when it's first bought.

Edit: For example, a brand new car X costs $25K. Five years later it sells for an average of around $20K. Another car Y of the same value sells 5 years later, but can only sell at an average of $15K. Which car has the higher re-sale value?? X of course!

Agreed that Civics hold their values. Reputation has a lot to do with this also (as goes with other manufacturers).

To get into the Corolla vs Yaris argument again, Corollas have the reputation of "they just keep on going and going and going"... But of course, I am biased :)

Edited by lucida

Got a 2005 Coralla last August insured it for $15600 and renewal for the next year is, still $15600...Agreed value...

lol... decisions getting harder and harder.

Its a car for my mum. All she does is drive ppl.

She doesnt need a big car, which is why i contemplated the yaris. However given the small price difference (say $2k), then its almost tempting.

If she could drive manual, then Yaris would be a definite, but its the engine size + auto combo thats got me concerned, how does the yaris auto compare to the corolla auto anyway?

Just looking thru the paper, Western toyota have got a Corolla Ascent for sale.

From 17,888

Would i be right with the following figures:

Metallic Paint = $300

Automatic = $2000

Dealer Delivery = $1,695

CTP = $395

Rego = $261

Plates = $34

Stamp Duty = 536.64 ($17,888 x 3%)

Total $23,109.64

+ Mats = $99

+ Tints = $350

Have i missed anything?

Also for all the guys who have done trade ins, which toyota dealer have you found gives the best trade in / change over price?

Edited by neK

If she wants a small car then forget the Civic. My girlfriend has the new model and it's probably the biggest Civic ever, more of a medium-large sized car.

Mate I think a ZZE122R 1ZZ-FE model is STILL the way to go :toast: forget the Yaris and ZRE

I thought resale value would be dependant on what people would be willing to pay for it. No point in saying the resale value of a 6 year old Corolla is $200 less than when it was new, because no one would buy it for that.

If there are hundreds of Corollas on the market, than perhaps supply is larger than demand, which would drop the price so people buy them. Perhaps one of the guys who work a a dealership point that out, unless my "model" only applies to private sales?

Slightly deviating from that view, the Yaris could potentially have a higher resale value than the corolla based on the following:

1. Corolla has a higher supply than demand (in comparison to the Yaris) - Based on the fact that the Corolla is Toyota's number 1 selling car.

2. The corolla while more powerful, has less fuel economy than the Yaris. Given the prices of petrol (and the fact that it will probably continue to head up), a person looking to buy a car 3 years from now would probably take into consideration fuel economy over space and power.

Bah! Still undecided. Who would have thought buying a car would be such a hard choice :(

Slightly deviating from that view, the Yaris could potentially have a higher resale value than the corolla based on the following:

1. Corolla has a higher supply than demand (in comparison to the Yaris) - Based on the fact that the Corolla is Toyota's number 1 selling car.

2. The corolla while more powerful, has less fuel economy than the Yaris. Given the prices of petrol (and the fact that it will probably continue to head up), a person looking to buy a car 3 years from now would probably take into consideration fuel economy over space and power.

Bah! Still undecided. Who would have thought buying a car would be such a hard choice :(

I haven't checked it out lately but at the start of the year I was facing the same decision. I chose the Corolla for space and pace. Yaris was at the time actually better for resale, that said though a difference 5% on resale of a 20k car is only $1,000 and as for parts and modifications there appeared to be more bits for the current Yaris, in fact even more than the previous Corolla ZZE

ended up with a Yaris :)

Just didnt want to pay the extra 3k for a corolla.

One thing i didnt realise though was that the Yaris only comes with one remote central locking key (ie the $400+ keys that toyota charge you).

The other two keys are just manual ones.

I spend 2 months looking for a second hand lexus IS200 which i really love, then somehow ended up spending more money, and get myself an aurion.. All the sleepless night in front of screen looking at carsales.com.au flushed into the toilet..

back to topic, if there is only choice between Yaris and Corolla, for 4k more, FOR SURE i go for corolla. No regret! (and look at how many mods being done that you can choose from! as easy as Cut and Paste!!)