Top Gear Australia

trdsaads

Everyone was going to hate the show regardless of the direction SBS went in. If it was their own thing, then everyone would be saying it needs to be more like the original. But if it was a clone, then everyone would be saying it had to be different. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that it is called Top Gear, so it HAS to be similar. When you go to a different McDonalds you don't expect them to be different. I think everyone needs to take their hands of the key boards, breathe and watch the show with an open mind.

The second episode was a lot better. However the only work they can change is what is filmed in the studio as everything else has been shot already. Season 2 will allow for changes to correct the shocking camera angles used on the test track.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second episode was a lot better. However the only work they can change is what is filmed in the studio as everything else has been shot already. Season 2 will allow for changes to correct the shocking camera angles used on the test track.

Not sure if it was just my eyes playing tricks, but the camera angles did seem better this time for both the Power Lap and the SIABSC. I remember TGUK's photography was awful for the first season too, but that's what a budget and limited experience will tend to throw up.

Have watched both episodes, didn't mind it. I will always watch it, it has huge potential.

Read an news article about how ratings were way down on 2nd episode compared to 1st. Something like 900 000 for the 1st and 450 000 for 2nd.

SBS spokesperson said it was upsetting, but they will move on. According to this article season 2 is already in the workings.

OMG how bad is it!!! the crappy jokes are just lame.... me and my boss are top gears fans the british version i cant believe they swapped it for this i mean yeah it is australian but come on....

they copied pretty much everything!!! last night episode was the 1st episode i've watched it only took 10 minutes before a changed it!...... its like there reading off a script or something. Even when they showed the commy vs ford WTF was up with the "and i thought we should warm the tyres up!" showed the same video clip of them doing donuts 3 or 4 times wasnt even funny!

Maybe they should of had Top gear UK go to Australia and have a whole series here that would been better!

they copied pretty much everything!!! l

FFS why are people still complaining about this? It's been gone over time and time again that the Australian version HAS to use the same set, intro, show style etc because it's part of the contract. The Top Gear name and rights have been sold to SBS for them to produce a local version, but it must adhere to whatever rules the BBC put down. It's a freaking franchise for crying out loud. So can we stop this now?

Don't bother Hiro, some people are happy to walk into a McDonalds with $5 and expect a well cooked Beef Wellington. If they can't be happy with something their own country has made then that's their loss.

And not liking the boys swinging helis at Wakefield Park, that's just unAustralian :P

Don't bother Hiro, some people are happy to walk into a McDonalds with $5 and expect a well cooked Beef Wellington. If they can't be happy with something their own country has made then that's their loss.

Sounds like my g/f's brother's g/f, she is _so_ pedantic about her takeway. If she goes to Red Rooster and asks for a drumstick, then waits till they got home only to find out she got a wing, she will RING UP Red Rooster and get them to make a whole new meal for her, which she then goes down and picks up. FFS, it's just a piece of chicken. She's done the same with Dominos too, got a pepperoni pizza with BBQ sauce instead of tomato, she got them to make a whole new pizza. She didn't return the other one, just left it in the fridge (so I had it for lunch the next day).

QUOTE (Tats @ Oct 1 2008, 11:33 AM)

I've read these threads on a few forums and there seems to be a real bandwagon of "oMg i'M nEvEr WaTcHiNg ThIs AgAiN iT's So ***** lolololol"

Guess what..... it's not the same as Top Gear UK. Shock horror. The presenters aren't as experienced and the track is different. And, if you compared budgets the same way you compared penises, SBS is hung like an acorn where as the BBC is packing a Collins Class Submarine down the front of it's dacks. It's not just feasible to compare every facet of the infant Aussie version to the UK/worldwide steamroller. I'm as big a fan as they come of the UK version too but I'll happily watch the boys broadcasting from Bankstown Airport in the knowledge that it's the best thing we've ever had locally.

My only concern is that they'll hold back on the criticism of the cars in order to keep the manufacturers pleased. In my opinion this is what has plagued the Aussie motoring shows of the past.

That maybe so, but SBS surely must have known that there was no way Top Gear Australia could compete with Top Gear UK. Top Gear UK is in another league (or planet for that matter!) and inarguably one of the best TV series to hit the TV. So DON'T go chasing and paying for the rights to affiliate it with TOP GEAR UK!!!! Give THE SERIES ANOTHER NAME for crying out loud!! But it's too late now. Personally, I think its aweful, its embarrassing and it's an injustice for the program to share the same name. I hope it doesn't reach the shores of other countries or star on Top Gear Uk. PUT >LATEST< TOP GEAR UK ON.

It's like saying "We've tried our best to make a performance car, but we know it's not that good and inferior . .. but we'll paint it red and sell it as a Ferrari."

hahaha well i kind of agree with that, maybe a bit harsh, but i can see where you are coming from. What they really need to do, is read reviews like this to show the produces what the audience really thinks, instead of them sitting in their own little bubble, thinking that its going to be okay.

It seems to be okay on here to voice your opinion about the topic, but on another site that i went onto, if you disagreed with someone you git shot down....

i just want to see more things get blown up and more distruction! hahaha

Needs more burnouts, nuts and fanging around maccas car parks with trays under the tyres....

-100. dont agree, not burnouts or nutty stuff, coz tat would b more boring..

they copied TOOOO much.. and actually it would be better if they COPIED their track too (BUT NO)

sad..

but they just started, mayb give them some more time..?

merSEEDies... merSEEDies?!!?!! say it right damnit its merSAYdies.

did anyone see at the end where the guy said he did a quarter mile in 13sec in the camry wagon... uh-huh..........

You say tomayto, I say tomarto. Both are perfectly appropriate and acceptable pronunciations.

And I think the "1/4 mile" was figurative, not literal. Would have been the "400m-or-so-of-tarmac-next-to-the-junkyard-but-we-could-only-use-300m-because-we-had-to-leave-room-for-braking"

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

The "dragrace" was filmed at Oran Park skidpan. Anyone who's been there will tell you that you couldn't make a quarter mile strip out of it even if you knocked down the demountable shed right up the end of the runway :lol:

I have an idea . . . . . . How about everyone gets together and does their best to shoot down the best attempt we have ever seen at a decent Aussie Car Show after its aired 3 episodes . . . . . .

Either you guys are all much much younger than me and haven't had about 15 years of frustration that there are no half decent Aussie car shows, or your all Gen Y and looking for the instant gratification that you are all used to (must admit, even as an old fella, I am too).

Give the poor bastards a chance, if they can produce something that is 1% as good as the original show, it will will be 10 times better than this country has seen.

did anyone see at the end where the guy said he did a quarter mile in 13sec in the camry wagon... uh-huh..........

Ever heard of the 8th mile?

Like I have said before, It definately has potential... and is improving every episode.

I found the junkyard challenge quite funny... hopefully next week is an improvement again.

And I agree with what JC says, It is the best car show we have had in australia so far.... everything else has been sh*t.

As bad as the 1st Ep was, it;s still better then the utter crap we have here on US TV. The 2nd ep was ok, 3rd got better.

Yes, I watch both Top Gear UK and Aus.

Main Page: http://www.finalgear.com/

Show Downloads: http://www.finalgear.com/shows/

Ever heard of the 8th mile?

We have a lot of 1/8 miles here in the US, haha.

Lets face it, it's rubbish. Not for any reasons like "it a copy" or the "guys are lame and the jokes suck"

The fundamental problem is that they don't give any real life unbiased advice on any of the cars. They sit on the fence for most of the Australian cars and just rubbish all of the European cars because of price of whatever.

There's no definitive answers like "The Toyota Aurion is better priced, more economical and quicker than the new Falcon", "But the new Falcon has a 5 star ANCAP rating and has better standard equipment, etc"

You can then choose:

Well, the Falcon is great but the Aurion is good enough all round and fits better into my price range.

OR

The Safety and features of the Falcon are well worth the investment over the Aurion.

You don't have good information to base a decision on. The ORIGINAL Top Gear did give us some practical information. Top Gear Australia simply DOES NOT.

All they do is DRIFT DRIFT and DRIFT. Hey, i love a good drift BUT that's what Formula D is for...

Edited by Stealth