Number of passengers = infinite

If Christine Nixon is correct in her interpretation of the law then that's another example of the law not fitting with common sense.

However,Police officers (even high ranking ones) do not always have the correct view of the law and are not able to know what a court would rule on in any given case as Judges are the ones to give rulings on cases not police.

I think she's saying that there isn't a charge directly related to having that many people in the car. Ie. a law saying # of passengers = # of seatbelts

I'm sure you can get done on endangering life or something along those lines.

But with her saying that, people will take it as a "they can't do anything to us" if they decide to overload

I always thought that on you vin plate it states how many passengers the car can carry. I got 2 mates each with their own skyline, both r33s, although one only has 2 seatbelts in the back and the vin states its a four seater while the other has 3 seatbelts and states its a 5 seater, even though there both the exact same car. :S

Ms Nixon said so long as all of the car's seat belts were being used, overloading the vehicle with people was not a crime.

WTF!

"In fact it's the number of seat belts. I think it's four or something in this car, and if those people had the seatbelts on, no, it's not an offence.

Wasnt there 8 people?

Seven of the car's occupants were Sudanese.

ROFL COPTER.

It is believed the driver of the car was a learner driver.
Six men and two women aged between 18 and 25 were in a Mitsubishi Lancer

Why is it that an L plater can have more passengers then a P plater?

This is just rediculous. Victorian road rules are outragous.

They say that it was perfectly legal. My a,s,s.

I think she's saying that there isn't a charge directly related to having that many people in the car. Ie. a law saying # of passengers = # of seatbelts

I'm sure you can get done on endangering life or something along those lines.

But with her saying that, people will take it as a "they can't do anything to us" if they decide to overload

Yeah i can see now a lot of ppl going to abusing this now.

And it will all be fault of Nixon saying it is legal.

But why as the last guy (CME-LFT) said about the VIN plate stating the number of seats, what the hell would that be used for then if its legal to overload.

Hahaha, I so see that happening now

new article clears it up

Basically if you are using all seatbelts in the car, nothing is stopping you from having extra people on top of that.

IE. that car had 4 belts and 4 ppl were wearing them, the other 4 were "luggage" :P

question is, how do you get a lancer with 8 passengers to go fast enough to wrap itself around a pole?

it must be a Tarago van lancer it just look like a small car that all you know like the new space age design