Sports Mode = ****t IMO

ApBPaul

ive had my aurion for about 8 months and i hate sports mode

when i use it and change up or down gears, theres a lag and it changes as if your in a car with some noob manual driver

and for a period of time after you use sports mode, while in DRIVE it will change gears as if its a rocky manual

but then will eventually disappear after awhile

not really a question or anything just wanted to tell ya how my gay sports mode effects my car

ive had my aurion for about 8 months and i hate sports mode

when i use it and change up or down gears, theres a lag and it changes as if your in a car with some noob manual driver

and for a period of time after you use sports mode, while in DRIVE it will change gears as if its a rocky manual

but then will eventually disappear after awhile

not really a question or anything just wanted to tell ya how my gay sports mode effects my car

Sports mode works well when you want to give it some, if you use it right, it works beautifully, just have to plan ahead.

Yeah the lag pisses me off, I think the person who designed the gearbox has to be fired. Here are some of the problems:

1) Gear shifts are backwards

2) Always defaults to 4th gear when placed in sequential mode

3) Horrible lag, have to upshift by 5,500RPM when accelerating hard or else rev limiter is hit.

Yeah the lag pisses me off, I think the person who designed the gearbox has to be fired. Here are some of the problems:

1) Gear shifts are backwards

2) Always defaults to 4th gear when placed in sequential mode

3) Horrible lag, have to upshift by 5,500RPM when accelerating hard or else rev limiter is hit.

4) It doesn't hold gears.

I'm getting a little deja vu with this thread.

i got my shifter reversed now so it a little bit more like the real sports shift

the only way to get what u want out of sport mode is to put ur foot down change to next gear where desired, half a second after u change take ur foot half off accelerator then it will change instantly then get back on the gas....doing this from when u change to when u accelerate in next gear is just over a second....and it even sounds manual then....ftw :spiteful:

In the sports mode, the gear can be even changed into first gear when the speed hits about 80KM.

It doesn't seem right.

I was driving about 80KM and my girlfriend hit the gearknob accidentally and the gear changed into first gear.

Is that only my car? or yours one doing in same way?

I really don't get the transmission system on Aurion because even the real manual transmission does not allow to put first gear once it hits certain speed.

+1 with Supercharged TRD that Transmission designer should be fired. :angry:

In the sports mode, the gear can be even changed into first gear when the speed hits about 80KM.

It doesn't seem right.

I was driving about 80KM and my girlfriend hit the gearknob accidentally and the gear changed into first gear.

Is that only my car? or yours one doing in same way?

I really don't get the transmission system on Aurion because even the real manual transmission does not allow to put first gear once it hits certain speed.

+1 with Supercharged TRD that Transmission designer should be fired. :angry:

Mine won't shift down to 1st if the revs are above 2k in 2nd. :(

There is no Sports mode. There is only a sequential shift mode!

All Aurions have a six speed automatic with AI and a manual sequential shift for manually holding it in a chosen gear. Thats about the truth of it.

The sales speel on the sequential shift is SO WRONG they could be sued for false advertising it's true though.

"In sequential shift mode you can shift gears like a manual transmission, for sharper response"

... and a manual sequential shift for manually holding it in a chosen gear. Thats about the truth of it.

It's that useless it can't even hold gears. It just limits the maximum gear. I really wish it did hold gear because sometimes you just want to put your foot down a little more without it dropping a gear.

huh? mine will red-line every time i push it. Works fine for me. It's just a case of learning how to use it. B)

Edited by Butcha

huh? mine will red-line every time i push it. Works fine for me. It's just a case of learning how to use it. B)

He means that you need to upshift once your revs are at about 5,500 RPM. Due to the lag, it will change gears close to redline then. If you are WOT and upshift past about 5,500 RPM, the engine will rev limit once or twice before finally shifting gears. Mine does exactly the same.

Maybe I bought a dud! mine holds gears in every gear I could rev limit in every single gear until the engine exploded if i wanted too. Auto mode has a bit of a lag from when you hit the gas. Sequential does 0 -100 in at least 6.9!

thats funny Marty mines exactly the same maybe ive got a dud to,it will hold any gear for as long as i like.

Maybe I bought a dud! mine holds gears in every gear I could rev limit in every single gear until the engine exploded if i wanted too. Auto mode has a bit of a lag from when you hit the gas. Sequential does 0 -100 in at least 6.9!

thats funny Marty mines exactly the same maybe ive got a dud to,it will hold any gear for as long as i like.

I think what people mean by 'not holding gears' is basically this...

If you've selected 4th gear on the 'sequential shift' mode. It will sit in 4th, but when you boot it from say.....80km/h, it will fly back to 2nd and let you go, reving all the way out, changing to 3rd, doing the same, then 4th.. but holding in 4th until redline. Instead of just accelerating from 4th gear doing 80. :P

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I think what people mean by 'not holding gears' is basically this...

If you've selected 4th gear on the 'sequential shift' mode. It will sit in 4th, but when you boot it from say.....80km/h, it will fly back to 2nd and let you go, reving all the way out, changing to 3rd, doing the same, then 4th.. but holding in 4th until redline. Instead of just accelerating from 4th gear doing 80. :P

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

That is correct Nathan. Holding gears mean there is no kick-down, just like a manual. Sure it will hold the maximum gear once you've hit the appropriate speed, but if you are cruising along at about 2000RPM with "S" mode on and 4th selected, if you plant it, the gearbox will automatically downshift. If it held gears, it would stay in 4th and slowly increase in speed, just like a manual if you left it in 4th and put your foot down.

I just flick it to first if I'm stationary. I hardly drive in D. On an off topic matter that slightly relates to this subject. Is it ok for the trans to keep driving in S?

i dont believe its good for the transmission to leave it in S constantly, and drive it like a manual. after all, it is essentially still an auto that has the electronic capability to hold gears at request. i dont think you should overwork it

i think it would be interesting to see how healthy an aurion transmission would look like at 150000kms

I just flick it to first if I'm stationary. I hardly drive in D. On an off topic matter that slightly relates to this subject. Is it ok for the trans to keep driving in S?

i dont believe its good for the transmission to leave it in S constantly, and drive it like a manual. after all, it is essentially still an auto that has the electronic capability to hold gears at request. i dont think you should overwork it

i think it would be interesting to see how healthy an aurion transmission would look like at 150000kms

I agree with lateralus here. When it all boils down, the transmission is still a standard automatic. It will last it's longest when you keep it in auto and let it do all the adjustments. It's no different to a car with a standard automatic transmission and you changing it from overdrive on, to overdrive off, then to second then first. The Aurion just changes it with a little more smoothness, but it's still the same thing nevertheless.

• 2 years later...

Apologies for dragging up an old thread...but I too need to have a gripe re the sports shift.

Quite often when I'm taking the Eastlink tunnel home from the city, I'll put it in to 'S' and straight away down shift to third, in order to better control my speed on the descent in to the tunnel. The time between downshifting to third and third gear actually engaging is 4 seconds!!!!!!! Horrible, horrible lag!!

That's the only massive gripe I've got with the car. Had it for 4 or so months now and love it! But I just couldn't believe it when I down shifted to third and literally counted 1-2-3-4...finally engages!

I gotta say I only use manual shift if I'm coming down a very very long hill descent (eg when descending from the hill ranges east of Perth).

This is so I don't ride the brakes all the way down the 2 - 3km descent.

Alternatively the other way to use engine braking is to set your cruise control speed about 10-15km LOWER than the speed limit, because once cruise detects you're 10km over your set speed, it automatically downshifts and tries to slow you down.

I find this method actually works a treat by tricking the cruise control to manage the downshifting for you. :P. Only drawback is you gotta plan ahead! :blink: and set cruise BEFORE hitting the descent or else it won't work.

This is not sports or sequential shift.

It is "Select-mode" and should be used like any other auto that has the shift lever go along the lines of P-R-N-D-3-2-L ... did you use that transmission as a manual? No would be the answer.

It is designed to be used in situations where you are towing and need to Select a lower gear to prevent excessive loading and overheating.

That said, I use it for engine braking, pre-selecting the minimum corner gear and for when I need a better launch (S1 activates one of the transmission brakes which I like the feel of).

I expect this will be improved in the new model next year ... ;)

I've used the S mode in the car probably only like once or twice and that was for a few seconds. lol. If I want to slow down I have breaks and plan ahead with my speed or if I want to drive that's why I have an auto.