Exhaust System & Pricing

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm, standard piping has some decent restrictions on the way to the muffler

whitestivo

I'm told the stock cat flows pretty damn well, so there is a big saving on not having to upgrade the cat.

SD v.s Whitestivo....Who Wins? :-s

whitestivo

Yeah, I reckon just replacing the couple of places where the stock pipe squeezes down would be beneficial, and very cheap. At least as good as porting headers maybe?

Gav.

whitestivo

where are the restrictions??

its Mandrel Bent SS all the way.... 1 peice... no joins or baffles....

even the resonator is perfeorated not dimpled...

the only real restriction after the cat, is the muffler.

whitestivo

Yeah, I reckon just replacing the couple of places where the stock pipe squeezes down would be beneficial, and very cheap. At least as good as porting headers maybe?

Gav.

it doesnt squeeze down anywhere.. where have you seen it crush bent?

agree, stock cat is large enough, I'm talking about restrictions before resonator, before muffler, you can see the pipe pinch in in a few places, reducing the benefit.

i tossed up replacing bits and pieces, total mess, too many new pieces required.

do it once, do it right... if only i always took my own advice

whitestivo

it doesnt squeeze down anywhere.. where have you seen it crush bent?

As Phil said, the pipe is squeezed/pinch down a size or so before the resonator and muff. It's not part of a bend. And I think these 2 (?) chokes would liberate a couple of ponies for cheap if cut out and replaced with straight pipe.

Cheers, Gav.

I have the feeling I will go towards Guan's path (so just change the exhaust) so that I can get the car lowered with the extra cash. :-D lol then I will worry about tidying up and getting the bits and pieces right.

I think replacing just the muffler will do fine. Doubt you'll be trying to make good time in turning in to Warrigal Road from the M1.

Stock system is 59.7mm or there abouts. 2.25" in metric equals 57.15mm. 2.5" in metric equals 63.5mm

Continue down the system. sportivo cat is big and again flows very well for a 1.8 N/A car. the only reason to change this cat is if you are going forced induction. the money you spend on a cat for a 1-2kw gain is riciculous. the stock system after the cat has a decrease in diameter for some reason creating a restriction. all the stock systems decrease in diameter near the resonator then at the rear muffler.

Gav, I'm not sure about this, certainly the labour involved, and your only replacing with 2.25", so with 59.7mm, so what's the real benefit?

try it and see, something different, some R&D

whitestivo (with some poetic license above)

You can get 2.375" (60mm) O.D. s/s piping, so that's what I would put in the areas where it's needed. I'm happy to give this a try. I don't expect a huge power gain, but it's not exactly gonna cost alot. And it's the same as porting the headers as far as I'm concerned (for worth/power gains).

Gav.

You can get 2.375" (60mm) O.D. s/s piping, so that's what I would put in the areas where it's needed. I'm happy to give this a try. I don't expect a huge power gain, but it's not exactly gonna cost alot. And it's the same as porting the headers as far as I'm concerned (for worth/power gains).

Gav.

But the gain in increasing the WHOLE pipes diameter is where more power is made. Replacing the small section of pipe near the resonator and muffler where I.D. steps down might do something but don't think it will do a great deal. Gains will certainly be nowhere near the gains of a full 2.5" catback system.

Gav the size of the piping you have mentioned isn't cheap. CES looked into this waay back at the beginning and it is dearer than buying the more common sizes of 2.5" and 2.25" hence why they never bothered persuing it. Why build a system the same size as stock??

Before all you muffler replacing bandits jump on the bandwagon and start trying to slay me with your Varex and X force muffler "swords" remember that mufflers are not the only place restrictions take place. There is such a thing as a restrictive pipe as well...

Before all you muffler replacing bandits jump on the bandwagon and start trying to slay me with your Varex and X force muffler "swords" remember that mufflers are not the only place restrictions take place. There is such a thing as a restrictive pipe as well...

*ching klank ting ping*

:P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, can't help it there.....

:) How restrictive can a pipe be? Reason I went just the muffler first because I feel that is the most restritive of the whole system. I personally cbf doing the whole thing straight up so for me, try the muffler first then slowly go the catback pipe after if I feel I need whatever the extra power to be had from the 2zz. No harm doing it that way.

To put it in perspective, I felt a reasonable increase in my mid range and LIFT zone. Bottom end remains the same.

No dyno sheets cause my @r$e says so! :)

BKS who has a 2.5 catback done up is thinking of reverting back to the stock size because of the increased mid range in mine compare to his which is the only difference. But I reckon he can tune that out though ........ hmmmm..............

alright, i've just be downstairs.. why as my standard exhaust is down there.

1. the restriction before the resonator can't be replaced, it pinches in before the resonator so that the resonator fits over the top of the pipe, i'm guessing the resonator is 2.25". there is no way to cut this out, you would need a new piece and a new resonator.

2. what was interesting is that after the last flange, the piping running to the muffler is a smaller diameter than the piping in the resonator section. the whole bend from the flange back to the muffler is smaller diameter. there are two mandrel bends in this.

gav, you've helped me out heaps, so i've spent time looking at this for you. you know where i am, you are always welcome to come for a look yourself.

i'm not saying anything about anyones exhaust, but mine, my 2.5" custom, meat everywhere, especially from 3500rpm onwards.

whitestivo

Was looking up exhausts, and i came across this...

post-9766-1238131685_thumb.jpg

Personally i dont think its big enough heehe

-200HP

Only 3 words can describe this

"Fully Sick Mate"

or perhaps

"Rice Rice Baby"

Gav.

But the gain in increasing the WHOLE pipes diameter is where more power is made. Replacing the small section of pipe near the resonator and muffler where I.D. steps down might do something but don't think it will do a great deal. Gains will certainly be nowhere near the gains of a full 2.5" catback system.

Gav the size of the piping you have mentioned isn't cheap. CES looked into this waay back at the beginning and it is dearer than buying the more common sizes of 2.5" and 2.25" hence why they never bothered persuing it. Why build a system the same size as stock??

No wukkas. I was just thinking if you only had to pay for a 20-30cm of this stuff, than it would be a cheap fix and comparable to porting the headers (as far as the benefits are concerned).

alright, i've just be downstairs.. why as my standard exhaust is down there.

1. the restriction before the resonator can't be replaced, it pinches in before the resonator so that the resonator fits over the top of the pipe, i'm guessing the resonator is 2.25". there is no way to cut this out, you would need a new piece and a new resonator.

2. what was interesting is that after the last flange, the piping running to the muffler is a smaller diameter than the piping in the resonator section. the whole bend from the flange back to the muffler is smaller diameter. there are two mandrel bends in this.

gav, you've helped me out heaps, so i've spent time looking at this for you. you know where i am, you are always welcome to come for a look yourself.

i'm not saying anything about anyones exhaust, but mine, my 2.5" custom, meat everywhere, especially from 3500rpm onwards.

whitestivo

Hey Phil, I will have a look at the exhaust when I bring the mudflaps over next weekend (assuming they're finished by then :P).

I wouldn't mind going for another drive in your car now that it's had a chance to carbon up and gain power from learning.

I doubt I will be in a position to buy an exhaust for a while yet. But I'm always happy to see if I can cheat the stock exhaust some how. :P

Gav.

um while on the topic about exhausts.. had a chat with a local exhaust place about changing the exhaust system (cat back) on the sportivo..

this is what he said'

Daniel you would be looking at around $600.00 for the system. I would not do this however you will find that the exhaust system is quite big enough and it is also stainless steel i would just change the rear muffler. You would be looking around $270.00 to 320.00 for a good quality X force cannon or around $200.00 for a 2/12 in muffler with chrome tip.

now i wouldn't mind changing the rear muffler but to a cannon :unsure: ?? and is that brand any good ?? whats the best thing i can do to my rear muffler??

champions :toast:

um while on the topic about exhausts.. had a chat with a local exhaust place about changing the exhaust system (cat back) on the sportivo..

this is what he said'

Daniel you would be looking at around $600.00 for the system. I would not do this however you will find that the exhaust system is quite big enough and it is also stainless steel i would just change the rear muffler. You would be looking around $270.00 to 320.00 for a good quality X force cannon or around $200.00 for a 2/12 in muffler with chrome tip.

now i wouldn't mind changing the rear muffler but to a cannon :unsure: ?? and is that brand any good ?? whats the best thing i can do to my rear muffler??

:huh:

dont give me that look nate.. its why i posted. as im unsure..

Yeah sorry dude. If you do a quick search you'll find lots of answers.

Many people go for different set-ups. It usually comes down to cost, and personal prefrence.

The stock Sportivo cat is a good size. Most people go with 2.5" back and find that's a good size.

In the end, the only difference between set-ups is going to be a few kw which you won't notice anyway.

BKS has a good set up. And I found that the CES system was great.

I'll let the others have their say.

But definately go for that CAI as well - it's worth it.

this is what he said'

cannons are usually noisey and full of drone especially on sedans,twin loops nice sound if set up right,my favorite tri flow almost OEM but with a minor growl.(X-Force makes some nice stuff, but i agree unsure about the cannons?)

Edited by 1stKill

this is what he said'

cannons are usually noisey and full of drone especially on sedans,twin loops nice sound if set up right,my favorite tri flow almost OEM but with a minor growl.(X-Force makes some nice stuff, but i agree unsure about the cannons?)

Not too sure about the Xforce cannons, but I'm running an Xforce oval muffler with custom 2.5 inch piping. The mufflers product number is MP-02 if your interested. the quality on them is very good and the sound is perfect for me. Its on the quiet side until you hit lift :spiteful:

Not too sure about the Xforce cannons, but I'm running an Xforce oval muffler with custom 2.5 inch piping. The mufflers product number is MP-02 if your interested. the quality on them is very good and the sound is perfect for me. Its on the quiet side until you hit lift :spiteful:

thanx for the replies fella's & and1, thanx, just checked the MP-02, oval is 6"x10". atm im purchasing CAI. shortly after ill go with just the rear muffler change, just had a look at the MP-01 with the twin tips, liking the single tip MP-02 very much tho. :whistling: u dont have a vid/pic or anything ? :g: