Exhaust System & Pricing

Hello Guys,

I am currently looking at putting a full exhaust system in my car and I rang the one who previously did mine on the Conquest @ AutoXcess Performance. Anyways to cut the story short he offered me the following:

(1) 2.25" cat back mandrel bends with X-force twinloop (S-12) installed for $600 in mild steel.

(2) with 4-2-1 headers an extra $400.

(3) about 1500 if I want the varex :-/

I had the 2nd option in all stainless steel for $1000 and now he is offering me the same set-up in mild steel for the same price. Anyways, I asked how come then he said oh it is because price of steel went up and blah blah blah. I am thinking it is quite dear what he is asking for....anyone got any advice for me?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.5"mandrel bent cat back (standard cat is huge), custom SS oval muffler, straight through, no valves, not loops, just straight out, and yet still legally tested with compliance at 88.2DB (legal limit in QLD 90db).

choice of MS or SS is up to you

whitestivo

Johnny boy ....

You heard it and you know it!

And yes, if you are going the whole catback, get it in 2.5 Mandrel instead of 2.25. Its better for the stivo as well as the fact that the stock pipe is close to 2.25. You'll be doing yourself no favours there.

MS or SS then its a flip of the coin.

(1) 2.25" cat back mandrel bends with X-force twinloop (S-12) installed for $600 in mild steel.

2.25" will do the job for a 1zz, but will be a waste of money on a 2zz. Need 2.5".

So when is the red baron equipping his plane with one these systems??? :whistling::whistling:

What model car is it for?

If it's a Sportivo, CES is the best option. I cheaped out bought an Xforce system for my 200SX. Never again. Worth the extra for quality.

Edited by bradsm87

ok stupid question time

what advantage does stainless steel give over mild steel thats worth the extra $$? i wouldve thought that mild steel would outlive the car anyway, so i dunno if its durability related.

Johnny boy ....

You heard it and you know it!

And yes, if you are going the whole catback, get it in 2.5 Mandrel instead of 2.25. Its better for the stivo as well as the fact that the stock pipe is close to 2.25. You'll be doing yourself no favours there.

MS or SS then its a flip of the coin.

yeah if your going to get an exhasut done going down to 2.25 makes it smaller than stock, stock piping is inbetween at 59mm approx, 2.25" is around 56.5mm and 2.5" is around 62mm......i chose to keep mine stock with my setup whereas mates have gone to 2.5" up to the individual.

I just rang another exhaust shop and he goes to me 2" is more than enough. So, I am definitely not going there. :-/

But based on everyone's feedback I am convinced that 2.5" is the way to go.

Hmmm...apart from Xforce what would be some good mufflers on the market? Anyone can share some of their own experience please?

However, price wise boys I also want to know whether I am not being ripped off...is the price he is asking for reasonable or not?

Guni & Jaderd - Which exhaust shop you got yours done? How much did he charge you?

I just rang another exhaust shop and he goes to me 2" is more than enough. So, I am definitely not going there. :-/

But based on everyone's feedback I am convinced that 2.5" is the way to go.

Hmmm...apart from Xforce what would be some good mufflers on the market? Anyone can share some of their own experience please?

However, price wise boys I also want to know whether I am not being ripped off...is the price he is asking for reasonable or not?

Guni & Jaderd - Which exhaust shop you got yours done? How much did he charge you?

These guys all went to Carnegie Muffler and Brake...

They have done all the work exhaust wise to our cars.

Guni Just got charged $80 for his Varex to be installed, i payed $250 for my mandrel 2.5" Stainless system, but i get mates rates. Expect to pay no more than $300 - $350 for the Mandrel Bent SS 2.5" system, thats without the muffler.

So when is the red baron equipping his plane with one these systems??? :whistling::whistling:

Only if the Lufftwafe pays for it :D

so many people have 2.5" cat back. has anyone done theirs 2.5" from headers back?

interested to know the difference

I'm told the stock cat flows pretty damn well, so there is a big saving on not having to upgrade the cat.

Only if the Lufftwafe pays for it :D

so many people have 2.5" cat back. has anyone done theirs 2.5" from headers back?

interested to know the difference

I'm told the stock cat flows pretty damn well, so there is a big saving on not having to upgrade the cat.

hi superdave, i wasn't clear about what i meant.

i hear that a lot of people do 2.5" catback systems.

im wanting to know if anyone has done 2.5" all the way (as in from headers to stock cat to muffler).

i am just assuming that people have the 2.25" piping from headers to cat (1st half) then 2.5" from cat to muffler (2nd half)

please correct me if im wrong

I think I remember reading somewhere that the front pipe is 2.5" already. I'm not sure if that's correct or not though. I can't see the front pipe being that restrictive though. Could be wrong though <_<

Front pipe on a sportivo is pretty big... Its tapered from the collector. Contains a baffle which runs length ways inside the pipe acting as a set of Secondaries (4 - 2 - 1).

i wouldnt bother replacing it... the only case where i could justify replacing it is if you bought a set of PPE Headers, which i believe do away with that entire section.

I have the feeling I will go towards Guan's path (so just change the exhaust) so that I can get the car lowered with the extra cash. :-D lol then I will worry about tidying up and getting the bits and pieces right.