Counterfeit Toyota Parts

there's an article in the current issues of wheels magazine advising there's currently a surge of counterfeit black-market parts being labelled as genuine toyota parts, among other manufacturers. the cause they believe is due to the economic climate and companies trying to cut costs and make big bucks. some of the things include the brake pads containing asbestos, and taking up to 30% longer to stop before catching fire, oil filters with only 1 layer of filter media without anti flow back valves, etc.

customs have been able to stop a bit of it, the majority of which coming from chinese factories. although toyota dealers generally get their stock from toyota direct, anyone who buys "toyota" parts from external suppliers should be very cautious. keep an eye out for the holographic toyota sticker on the box!

Edited by lateralus

counterfeit parts have been around for a very long time especially exterior panels, all i can say is if you love your car stay away from these chinese parts.

when i was in the spraypainting trade we used to use alot of these panels, they were so weak, the sheet metal they used dident even meet australian standards it was so fin, if you tried to sand it it would just worp and the edges were like razer blades, but we had to use them because the insurance companies left us no choice due to the cut throat nature of the industrie.

the sad thing is the owners dont even know that when they get there car back its now ''made in china''

counterfeit parts have been around for a very long time especially exterior panels, all i can say is if you love your car stay away from these chinese parts.

when i was in the spraypainting trade we used to use alot of these panels, they were so weak, the sheet metal they used dident even meet australian standards it was so fin, if you tried to sand it it would just worp and the edges were like razer blades, but we had to use them because the insurance companies left us no choice due to the cut throat nature of the industrie.

the sad thing is the owners dont even know that when they get there car back its now ''made in china''

Isn't that illegal?

That technically makes a 4 star safety rating car down to 1 or less ....

Not to mention that the insurance PDS (or whatever the F its call) states that they will use original parts unless those parts are no longer available for purchase from the manufacterer (because the car model has been superseeded) then only they will use the highest quality after market parts or similar.

:angry:

Isn't that illegal?

Not to mention that the insurance PDS (or whatever the F its call) states that they will use original parts unless those parts are no longer available for purchase from the manufacterer (because the car model has been superseeded) then only they will use the highest quality after market parts or similar.

thats right guni, though the insurance companies turn a blind eye on these parts due to us making them money, the cheaper we repair the vehicle the more money they make.

in regards to useing geniune parts that only applies to cars that are less then 5 years old, after that they can use what ever the hell they want.

and trust me every single part you can think of for a toyota, you can be sure the chinese make it (excludes engine hardwear)

and trust me every single part you can think of for a toyota, you can be sure the chinese make it (excludes engine hardwear)

fooking hell .....

:huh:

I'll hate crashing now .....

Well not exactly true. In fact you can buy complete engines manufactured in China. You can buy just about any part for Toyota engines that were in production during the 1980s.

My father actually has a Chinese 4Y (2.2) in his 4wd Liteace that originally only came with a 3Y (2.0). I think it has done about 30,000kms. Engine its self is still fine, but there are a few little quirky things about the carburettor. The thing was, it was cheaper in the long to buy a new engine ($1000 for the engine $200 for the carbie) than to rebuild an already tired engine.

Well not exactly true. In fact you can buy complete engines manufactured in China. You can buy just about any part for Toyota engines that were in production during the 1980s.

My father actually has a Chinese 4Y (2.2) in his 4wd Liteace that originally only came with a 3Y (2.0). I think it has done about 30,000kms. Engine its self is still fine, but there are a few little quirky things about the carburettor. The thing was, it was cheaper in the long to buy a new engine ($1000 for the engine $200 for the carbie) than to rebuild an already tired engine.

I've heard of complete Chinese 3RZ copies too, and not many good words about them

Isn't that illegal?

thats right guni, though the insurance companies turn a blind eye on these parts due to us making them money, the cheaper we repair the vehicle the more money they make.

in regards to useing geniune parts that only applies to cars that are less then 5 years old, after that they can use what ever the hell they want.

That's so wrong, why isn't the gov't doing anyting about it - eg there has to be safety clauses or something.... all these initiatives to make cars safer then this is happening.

insurance companies dont specifcally ask for non branded generic parts to be used, they ask for a few quotes from various repairers and then after consideration, the quotes are authorised and payment is released for repairs to begin. the repairs that made use parts that are consistent with the age and condition of the vehicle, and if that means second hand parts, or where no proper second hand parts can be sourced within a reasonable time frame, then generic parts.

where the insurer chooses the repairer and not the insured, there is usually a lifetime guarantee on all repairs. if insurance companies are apparently always out to rip you off, doesnt it seem a silly business decision to guarantee this if ****ty parts are being used, especially when theyre going to have to pay to repair it again? dont believe all conspiracies you here

Edited by lateralus