QLD Twincam.org Darlington Park Track Day

HAHAHAHAHA good one Azza.... Yeah I have a Bit of Cleaning to do now.... see you guys at All Toyota Day.....

Oh BTW anyone know a good detailer :P

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Map i'm keen to get some more info about the AEM CAI with water injection ;)

Great day and I'll definately try to get my car to the next one. corolla's were well represented and from some of the comments I heard in the staging lanes most people probably seriously underestimated the power and the ability of the Corolla(especially the Stivo's)

Shaohaok gave the bloke in the blue rex a damm good run for his money and I heard him say to his mate about how he couldn't shake the phantom.

Gotta say that a stivo sounds great on a dyno but sounds awesome on a track B)

Nice video's. Damn I forgot how good a Stivo sounds in Lift. On the track it really does sound like a race car.

I bet it surprised a few of the other guys. A lot of people just do not give any little hatches the respect they deserve.

Now if I can only get some of the Melbourne boys to come along to a couple of the Sandown days with me so they too can understand how much more fun it is than just going for a cruise.

I take it you'll all be going to the next Brisbane one... Once it gets in your blood you get hooked :D

Nice video's. Damn I forgot how good a Stivo sounds in Lift. On the track it really does sound like a race car.

I bet it surprised a few of the other guys. A lot of people just do not give any little hatches the respect they deserve.

Now if I can only get some of the Melbourne boys to come along to a couple of the Sandown days with me so they too can understand how much more fun it is than just going for a cruise.

I take it you'll all be going to the next Brisbane one... Once it gets in your blood you get hooked  :D

Speaking of getting hooked I think that you should speak to MAP81 as he was the only one who went fishing!!! :P Man when he says he going fishing he goes all the way :lol:

Yeah I reckon that there will be a few more at the next track day. Include Azza only if he's been a good boy and done all his chores to get his pocket money :lol:

Oi!!!..Stop being cheecky...

Just remember, I remember a certain woman (**cough-Jen-cough**) hasseling a certain man (**cough-Brennden-cough**) about not doing the dishes....

I think from memory, her request was...

"Just go Brennden, just go!!! The dishes will be waiting for you because I am NOT doing them for you!!!!!"

:P :P :P

Azza - Brendon details cars not dishes :P at least I thinkit;s a good excuse

Shao - that video is awesome, I'm itchin' to get back to Wakefield now, just need a few more mods and $$ (just a little though)

Stu - Damn right the rush is soooo addictive, in Sydney I know we now have 5 stivo driving track addicts ;)

Mark - :blink::blink: :o :o :o Everything OK dude...

Azza - Brendon details cars not dishes :P at least I thinkit;s a good excuse

Shao - that video is awesome, I'm itchin' to get back to Wakefield now, just need a few more mods and $$ (just a little though)

Stu - Damn right the rush is soooo addictive, in Sydney I know we now have 5 stivo driving track addicts ;)

Mark -  :blink:  :blink:  :o  :o  :o  Everything OK dude...

:D the shiftlights came up well in the video. thanks to Azza's precision mounting

c'mon u wuuusssssssiees!!!  :P

it's just like the usual "cruises" thru the mountains, only that it's much safer and fun.

spectating is going to be booooooring. and u will wish all day that u were running.

Well, Shao, after watching your video, I now have to say you're right. Looked like great fun. Still dunno about using the auto wagon, though ... might need to invest in a little runabout (Starlet, early Rolla, etc) to have a bit of fun with ... I think the whole clutch/gearchange thing adds to it. :D

Even better, my wife was just watching it with me ... I'd like to say she's impressed by the exhaust, but I can't :P ... however, she would like to know what sort of speeds you reached on the day.

Edited by Buddha

c'mon u wuuusssssssiees!!!  :P

it's just like the usual "cruises" thru the mountains, only that it's much safer and fun.

spectating is going to be booooooring. and u will wish all day that u were running.

Well, Shao, after watching your video, I now have to say you're right. Looked like great fun. Still dunno about using the auto wagon, though ... might need to invest in a little runabout (Starlet, early Rolla, etc) to have a bit of fun with ... I think the whole clutch/gearchange thing adds to it. :D

Even better, my wife was just watching it with me ... I'd like to say she's impressed by the exhaust, but I can't :P ... however, she would like to know what sort of speeds you reached on the day.

according to the r-vit the peak speed reached was 194, which looks to be right when u count the number of shift lights that are on in 5th gear just under 7000rpm. this was the big sweeping corner down the straight. most of the corners are taken at around 70ish just below lift in 2nd. the combination of bends up the hill can be taken flat out on a good day. i didn't try that this time, but i did that on the previous trackday which was a lot warmer than this time round.

yes the exhaust sounds so awesome, aye! that was a CES job, too :P

basically was just a pipe in place of a muffler. i dun think there was any gains in outright power, coz we dynoed it without the muffler on dynoday. BUT, throttle response was crazy as well as the rate at which rpm climbs.

u should hear it pop and crackle!!

Edited by shaohaok

Boy - I too had some fun, and when I get able to, I will post some of my pics...

Here are the pseuda awards I handed out...

Best Drift - Wei Wei

The "Oh Damn, I Bought The Wrong Car..." Award - The Mazda3 guy...

The "Oh Damn, My Exhaust Is Too Loud And Now I Have To Do I Drive-By..." Award - The FTO guy...

The "Woops, I need new undies..." Award - AZZA

The "I know I Don't Have Lift, But I'm Gonna Have Fun Any Way..." Award - The Astra Dude...

The "I Got To Do A Fast Lap Without Paying $165.00..." Award - Azza

The Most Drive Pasts With A Fist In The Air Award - Pippy

The "I Need New Brakes" Award - Northy

The "I Got Non-Stock Brakes Now I Need Better Ones" Award - Shaohaok

And the last one...

The "Oh Sh!t..!!!" Award - MAP81... (nothing harsh dude, but when I heard you saythat on the video, it was priceless...)

BTW...

Thanks everyone for going along, it was an awesome day.

Thanks MAP81 for getting us the info...

Thanks Shao & Northy for letting me ride shotty...

Thanks to the Mazda3 dude for justifying lift for us...

Hi, i'm "the mazda 3 guy". What exactly do you mean with the comments above? i'm not even familiar with the term "lift" dunno whether you mean something good or bad. Anyway, don't remember seeing any red corolla's there other than the one everyone else put theri spare tyres in and stayed park for some reason..

Regardless of your modest opinion, I had a great time, the car went great, and after the track day I drove 500km to NSW without any dramas.

Overtook the Golf GTI and Jaguar S-Type, got overtaken by Shao's corolla & WRX only.. so I don't think it was the wrong car for the track as it behaved so well, with nice feedback, great grip and speed... sorry if it wasn't a corolla, though I'd have thought it would have been more interesting for you to have a mix of cars like the WRX, Mazda 3, Mazda mx-5, those drifters whatever they were, Jaguar, etc..

Hope you don't mind explaying your comments as they don't read too good from where I stand.

Thanks,

Mazda%203%20race%20track.jpg

Edited by feVer

...you wouldn't have got past my Golf if I had let Michelle drive it to it's full potential.

She was instructed to short shift at 5K as it's due for me to change it's timing belt so I didn't want the motor stressed.

See you at the next day ;)

what azza meant by lift was in relationship to what our sportivos do when they change cams.. similar to V-Tec and nothing like what mazda has created yet..

That's the 2.0L mazda tho.. the 2.3 has a different valve system as far as i know. Nothing compares to the VTEC or BMW's system tho...

By the way, what does the Sportivo rev up to? And does the normal corolla have this system?

I looked at the sportivo but couldn't understand where the power goes when stepped on.. i read it has 141kw or close to 200hp and yet is still in the 8 second bracket for 0-100km/h according to magazines.. :|

Is it the gear ratio that's done for high speed / fuel economy or something?

...you wouldn't have got past my Golf if I had let Michelle drive it to it's full potential.

She was instructed to short shift at 5K as it's due for me to change it's timing belt so I didn't want the motor stressed.

See you at the next day ;)

mm guess not... i have my handfull of [irrelevant] excuses for being "slow" at the day as well. Just spent close to $2k in wheels + tyres, so i really didn't push them as i noticed after a couple of laps that the track would eat them away quicker than if possums had it for breakfast. Same with the brakes, having just serviced the car unfortunately my budget doesn't include replacement pads/tyres that last me one afternoon - i really wish they did. With a tiptronic box there isn't much engine break as the computer only does what is "safe" in terms of downshifts.. but i still reckon the GTI on paper doesn't look any faster than the mazda 3 or the astra - which i was onboard as a passenger and we 1) cought up to the golf, 2) passed it like it was parked 3) took half a lap from it - all within the 4 laps interval, of which we did only 3 full throtle as it's just a fun thing and we don't wanna reck our cars, so my mate took the last 2 laps easy..

Unless you got some extra boost on the golf, it won't really go very far as you can measure against the sportivos - or the astra, or the mazda or anything else on the track that day.

it's got 24kw ATW more than a stock example... looks stock though hey ;)

It's a very suprising car handling wise with the stock 16's, it's the only really "stock" car I have, I didn't expect much from it seeing how it has a crappy torsion bar rear suspension setup the same as the new corolla's. My other car's are a lot more heavily worked over.

We've got a vid from the previous Darlington day when it was pushed hard if you'd like to see, http://www.rollamods.com/videos/Golf_John_lower-track.wmv

That was John's first run out in the Golf, I thought he did really well.

Jason

what azza meant by lift was in relationship to what our sportivos do when they change cams.. similar to V-Tec and nothing like what mazda has created yet..

That's the 2.0L mazda tho.. the 2.3 has a different valve system as far as i know. Nothing compares to the VTEC or BMW's system tho...

By the way, what does the Sportivo rev up to? And does the normal corolla have this system?

I looked at the sportivo but couldn't understand where the power goes when stepped on.. i read it has 141kw or close to 200hp and yet is still in the 8 second bracket for 0-100km/h according to magazines.. :|

Hi there, next time at the track have a ride in the Sportivo as a passenger and you will know whats under the Sportivo's bonnet. That's what we Sydney people did when we were at Wakefield Park Goulburn NSW, i sat in a PugGti180 for 10 hot laps and the owner of the Pug sat in Dave's (aka Screaminrolla) Stivo while filming footage of me and Dave. I was chasing Dave's Stivo down in my stock 4x4 ride height Stivo :D .

The Sportivo's vvtl-i is different to the vvti system in other corollas. Notice we have an "L" which is the LIFT we talk about. Its got 1800cc peak power of 141kw at 7800rpm. Peak torque of 180nm at 6800rpm. It feels like a DOHC VTEC in B16A Civic Vti-R and B18C engined DC2 TypeR when you rev it past 6000rpm there is a very strong surge in power plus a loud induction roar. Rev cuts at 8200rpm. 0-100km/h in 8 secs is understated, most people here can do it in the 7sec bracket easy and 1/4 mile in mid to low 15s with timeslips to prove ;)

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

the variable valve timing found on the mazda's 2.3L is the same concept as that found in the normal corollas. the sportivo has something which is DOES compare to DOHC VTEC. as it variates valve lift on top of basic valve timing. it revs to 8200rpm.

i didn't know that u were that interested in the sportivo that day! u shoulda just asked me or get in the car with me or something.

dun ask us how the magazines came up with that number. mis-shifts aside, the absolute lousiest run u get down willowbank still clocks a 15.8 or thereabouts. the average times are 15.5 at least.

imo, the gear ratios are a bit too long and it drops out of the powerband briefly from 1-2. which robs it of about half a second for the 0-100 times.

What exactly do you mean with the comments above? i'm not even familiar with the term "lift" dunno whether you mean something good or bad. Anyway, don't remember seeing any red corolla's there other than the one everyone else put theri spare tyres in and stayed park for some reason..

I meant that most Mazda drivers that have never heard/seen/lift usually are amazed and awed by it's potential. I know my stock one makes them wonder whats in it when I hit lift right next to their open passenger window...

Yeah, it was my red one there as support vehicle, and it stayed parked because there was som much stuff in the car, and my wife wouldn't give me the money to race.....(damn women!!!)

Next trackday, I may have to bring her along so she can bring her ute for storage so the rocket can play :P :P :P

It was nothing harsh dude, just the usual Toyota-to-other manufacturer comments... :D

What exactly do you mean with the comments above? i'm not even familiar with the term "lift" dunno whether you mean something good or bad. Anyway, don't remember seeing any red corolla's there other than the one everyone else put theri spare tyres in and stayed park for some reason..

I meant that most Mazda drivers that have never heard/seen/lift usually are amazed and awed by it's potential. I know my stock one makes them wonder whats in it when I hit lift right next to their open passenger window...

Yeah, it was my red one there as support vehicle, and it stayed parked because there was som much stuff in the car, and my wife wouldn't give me the money to race.....(damn women!!!)

Next trackday, I may have to bring her along so she can bring her ute for storage so the rocket can play :P :P :P

It was nothing harsh dude, just the usual Toyota-to-other manufacturer comments... :D

no worries dude. yeah it's a bit of $ i almost didn't go for it..

shao, i looked at the corolla when i was buying my car, but the magazines times and that made it hard for me at the time to justify going for that when i was left wondering what the hell happenned with all the horsepower..

glad everyone had a ball tho - except rolla who had to clean his brother's car.. and the lotus guy.

I have some pro shots of shao's car i'll post tonight - from the guy with the red shirt sitting in the hairpin corner.

Oh and the golf did look stock standard, nice job :) actually one of the best examples of it i've seen if i were to buy one second hand. I was talking to the girl (Michelle?) about the new GTI.. now that looks like a weapon!