Trading in Presara for 3500SL

byw

Hey Guys,

I am thinking of selling my Presara and getting a TRD 3500SL.

I need some advice on what are the pros and cons of going down this route...

Ones I can think of..

PROS

------

- Extra power with the supercharger

- Looks - love the look of the TRD

- Bigger brakes and wheels

- Better suspension

CONS

-------

- Cost with the change over

- Less luxury features

- Higher insurance premiums?

- Higher fuel consumption

- Must use 98 RON fuel

- No longer being manufactured - limited supply of spare parts, reduced resale value etc.

- Cost of repairs (especially the SC) when warranty runs out

Any other comments/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by byw

the letters TRD is enough for the swap...PROS-bigger brakes/shiny red SuperCharger/extra power/way better looking/limited production...one day a well kept one will be worth a few $$$

CONS-less ride comfort...errr thats it.

p.s what roughly is the extra cost to swap from The Presara to TRD?

i like the idea that u r swapping with trd 3500sl. make sure u come to one of ourr meet mate ^^

Thanks... Will try to make it to the next meet...

what roughly is the extra cost to swap from The Presara to TRD?

Not sure yet as I was thinking of going to the car dealer tomorrow to have a test drive first and see what they are prepared to give me as a trade in for the Presara.

IMO - keep your current car, save your money and wait till 2011. I've heard there are potentially some big things on the books for Toyota/TRD...

Thanks for the heads up, however, I don't think I can wait that long :P

p.s what roughly is the extra cost to swap from The Presara to TRD?

it depends on whether you own it outright or have it encumbered under finance.

owned - basically, just the depreciation of your old car

finance - minus equity and bad credit rating because of that depending on the amount owing, admin and establishment fees, loan discharge fees, higher interest rates, paying more for a car thats worth less or the same, depreciation of your old car, higher insurance premiums

so depending on how much you owe if its financed, it can work out quite an expensive exercise. maybe expect to add around the $5k-10k mark onto the current loan with higher interest rates

Edited by lateralus

Dun think it's worth it.. Several people including me, came up with this idea with the trade ins and stuff..

And believe it or not, none of us went with it.. :lol:

It's good when u haven't buy any car..But for trade ins, Nahh..

Of coz.. Again, Depending how much u willin to spend.. Ur choice..

Dun think it's worth it.. Several people including me, came up with this idea with the trade ins and stuff..

And believe it or not, none of us went with it.. :lol:

It's good when u haven't buy any car..But for trade ins, Nahh..

Of coz.. Again, Depending how much u willin to spend.. Ur choice..

Thanks for your comments - my head agrees with you but my heart still reckons it's worth it.... :D

I still have not driven one yet so I still need to be convinced that it's worth the extra money to get the TRD. Also, it's not just the initial change over cost - it's the additional on-going running costs such as higher insurance premiums, higher fuel consumption and 98 RON fuel etc.

I'll post an update after I had a test drive and find out the change over cost.

I've jsut gone through all of this with my Zr6. there are a couple of TRD's in Perth at around 39,990 ring the guys at grand Toyota. I will be honest though, after driving one around i decided the extra power wasn't worth the extra 10 grand... I'd rather spend 3 or 4 on mine

Yeah, the TRD that I am looking at is at another dealer and it does not have the Moonroof/Satnav option - I guess I can add the Auspac HU myself but I have gotten used to the factory Satnav unit in the Presara and I also like the unit's bluetooth function as well.

I guess it's not such a large jump from a Sportivo ZR6 to the TRD given that you already have the body kit and stiffer suspension.

I like your idea of spending the change over cost on the current Presara with body kit, wheels, suspension etc... :g:

Good one with the head and the heart.. :lol: Not to mention there's no more TRD Aurion to be produce, it's gonna be rare...

But With the mods that are going around in the forum, it's better if u get urself some pretty ones..

With budget of an upgrade, u can go mods pretty much for evrything.

U could go airbags! with the 1/4 price of the upgrade. Audio?

And much more... Go Different!

I would save the money and wait

we are at the end of the model cycle

think some of the fancy Lexus stuff will appear in the next model

changing wheels and brakes can't be that expensive?

Are you looking at the 3500SL that was advertised for $34990 on Saturday. Seems like a very good buy.

Insurance you may find isn't much more. It's costing me $80 a year more for my 3500S than what I was paying for my 04 VY Berlina.

Are you looking at the 3500SL that was advertised for $34990 on Saturday. Seems like a very good buy.

Insurance you may find isn't much more. It's costing me $80 a year more for my 3500S than what I was paying for my 04 VY Berlina.

woah thats cheap.

but if u want better performance go a 2007 subaru liberty GT spec B

no point downgrading from a presara to TRD :P

Yeah, I was looking at that TRD and had a test drive yesterday - it wasn't the greatest day for a test drive as the weather was quite bad and it rained all day. I did noticed that extra power of the SC on some straight stretches, however, due to the wet conditions, I decided not to throw the car around too much.

You're right on the insurance, I called my insurer and the only extra is an additonal excess of $400 for a performance car - the base premium is still based on the sum insured.

no point downgrading from a presara to TRD :P

From inside the car it does seem like a downgrade as the TRD was missing quite a few luxury items as compared to the Presara, however, the car does look good from the outside.

The Sales Manager took me for the test drive and he was going to give me $28K for my Presara, given the $35K price for the TRD, the change over including stamp duty is around $8.5K. I have decided to keep the Presara and may be spend some of the money on changing some of the visual aspects of the car.

Edited by byw

flap the stamp duty...!

i would have haggle hard on the stamp duty given its a recession atm... (i know im stretching it lol...)

The $35K price for the TRD3500SL is the cheapest one I've seen so far and I don't think they're prepared to budge. The Sales Manager said there were a few people taking the car for a test drive even with the crap weather!! I don't think this car will last long at $35K.... if I didn't have the Presara, I would have bought it! :D

yeah i would have too since i got the prodigy model...

but i reckon for me car once the tyre wears our will be getting a sweet set of wheels from Tempe most probably a 17' new ones or a 2nd hand 19's.... then the car is pretty much set...

I think the TRD that I was looking at has been sold!! It's no longer listed on the dealers website.

I suspected that it won't last long at that price!!