QR September 19th

good suggestion gav

i also found the new found power from the exhaust resulted in a serious amount of additional wheel spin coming out of some of the turns, losing me time. on the street i love it, on the track..hmmm

i had some serious lock on a few times, much more than before.

there won't be any more power mods, just wasted energy. THat was good to learn

Also, the adrenalines don't squeal like the turanzas, so it was much more difficult for me to find the limit. Even on session three, i was upping corner speeds and still getting around safely

and the scrubbing, i think there was apiece of inner guard on the track at turn 5 that belonged to me.

whitestivo

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also found the new found power from the exhaust resulted in a serious amount of additional wheel spin coming out of some of the turns, losing me time. on the street i love it, on the track..hmmm

so what you're saying here whitestivo is that you cannot perform as well as your car does...

i never thought i'd ever hear the day that a driver would say, "well thats it for me as far as power mods are concerned". I think you just have to learn how to drive it differently.

Pounding around a race track teaches you more power does't necessarily make you faster, especially in a FWD car with no LSD.

... You're telling me. I just felt the power slip away from underneath me.

Only thing I am blaming my car for is the automatic transmission. I does lock out certain gear changes which makes it near impossible to work around.

Apart from that, I think I need more time to familiarise myself with how my car behaves under track conditions..

Too much wheelspin = too much right foot, not too much power...

Yeah, that's what I need to work on. My main problem was that if I eased on the throttle too much, the gearbox got nice and laggy and would like to kick down another gear when I tried to get that power back.

Otherwise put that wheelspin to good use, and man up and throw it around the corners boiz. :P

I thought it would have helped, but in all the laps where I slid my rear around intentionally, I couldn't get below 1:10.

Great reading about your experiences guys, especially Dazza's first track outing. Seems like everyone had their head screwed on right and learned a bit.

I had my first proper track day at Oran Park last Thursday and my outcome was much the same as yours - the car definitely doesn't need any more power but the driver needs a fair bit of modification :lol: Except my cooling system needs work, f***ing thing kept overheating!

Yeah, that's what I need to work on. My main problem was that if I eased on the throttle too much, the gearbox got nice and laggy and would like to kick down another gear when I tried to get that power back.

Otherwise put that wheelspin to good use, and man up and throw it around the corners boiz. :P

I thought it would have helped, but in all the laps where I slid my rear around intentionally, I couldn't get below 1:10.

Don't be too disappointed.

Manual gearbox conversion = DJKOR's next project!

Yeah, see, there is a bit I didn't tell you. If you're gonna slide, you need to go in faster because the slide forms part of your braking. :o

Get it right and you can come out the other side of the corner looking great. Even if it's not faster, you still get style points for trying. :P

Except my cooling system needs work, f***ing thing kept overheating!

And that was in the freezing cold of NSW, don't bring it up to sunny QLD :lol:

Was only 30* on the day but all the turbo drivers were whining about the conditions and packing up early with problems.

What's the stock Sportivo time these days?

In the 100kw SX Seca I got down into 68sec or 67sec range toward the end (back when it was $60/day). Close to stock it was 70sec.

My car's not selling, so I'll probably start going to sprints just to get some use out of it.