CAI or SRI

Hey fellas

Before people starts ranting, I've looked at other CAI vs. SRI topics, but I just need to get a few direct answers.

1. Between APEXi SRI and TRD CAI, which one adds more power for Corolla Sportivos'? Any dynos to prove it?

2. (Not that important) Which one of those is louder? I've spoke to Dave, who has had both intakes, and he said the APEXi is louder.

I've heard that SRI gives more bottom end power as opposed to CAI giving a better high end power. So I'm assuming the "lift" will be even better with a CAI and the launch will be better with a SRI?

Any one with knowledge behind these intakes please come forward and give me your opinion on them.

Cheers,

Young

i have the apexi intake in my and it works great and actually can feel the difference from 3000rpm onwards and fits nicely rather than the trd cai which u need to squeeze the piping under the head light and need to get another filter because the trd filter is close to impossible to fit unless u remove the foglight and as for pricing the apexi is much cheaper compare to the trd intake..

I've had the Apexi SRi and the CES CAi and am now back to a de-snorkeled airbox .... :idea:

Bottom line is as mentioned, the SRi which gives you more mid range where you can "pick-up" better and the CAi which gives you more kick in LIFT <_<

It really depends what you are after and the way you want your car to drive. After having both, I'm back to a stock airbox+stock filter and I reckon I'll stick with this for a while as I'm happy as is .......

They will both sound mean but just at different RPM. You'll find that the few KW difference in all the intake mods will mean squat in real world application/driving in NA form ....... :rolleyes:

My last dyno session with a bunch of other sportivo guys brought up some interesting result .... :whistling:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

My last dyno session with a bunch of other sportivo guys brought up some interesting result .... :whistling:
[/smug look on my face :rolleyes: ]

I found the TRD CAI made the car feel sluggish down low, but made a huge wallop of power when lift kicked in yo. TRD CAI is fairly quiet as far as CAI's go as well. I'm running stock airbox with no snorkel now too. :)

NB: Interestingly, any intake modification you do [de-snorkel, SRI, or CAI] will improve your fuel economy! :o

Gav.

Engines love cold air :)

I believe the TRD is not a bad choice but has a few joins in it, this would cause a little disturbance

I prefer INJEN they make the most power

1) INJEN CAI :toast:

2) TRD CAI

3) SRI with cold air ducting

4) Factory with aftermarket filter

5) SRI

There's an APEXi Power Intake on nengun.com

So I'm right to assume both of these products have similar power increase just at different RPM ranges?

I'm planning to have an air duct to the APEXi SRI, would that somehow be affect by the rain at all?

While I'm at it, anyone with any information behind K&N SRI?

Cheers,

Young

Hey fellas

Before people starts ranting, I've looked at other CAI vs. SRI topics, but I just need to get a few direct answers.

1. Between APEXi SRI and TRD CAI, which one adds more power for Corolla Sportivos'? Any dynos to prove it?

2. (Not that important) Which one of those is louder? I've spoke to Dave, who has had both intakes, and he said the APEXi is louder.

I've heard that SRI gives more bottom end power as opposed to CAI giving a better high end power. So I'm assuming the "lift" will be even better with a CAI and the launch will be better with a SRI?

Any one with knowledge behind these intakes please come forward and give me your opinion on them.

Cheers,

Young

Hey mate,

if you want to, and if funds permit, get an Injen CAI, designed a lot more professionally then the TRD CAI, and will give you more gains...

The Dyno that was compared to on the Melbourne Crew a little while back had:

-De-snorkeled airbox

-TRD CAI

-CES CAI

-Injen CAI

though im not sure if its conclusive research lol :P

As for your second question, YES, the Apexi will be louder, but keep in mind that since it will basically be a pod filter where your airbox was, it will still be sucking in hot air - even if you have a air feed up to it... Now i don't want to start any arguments, but from everything i have researched, don't get an SRI unless you have a 1zz... CAI + LIFT = 1 Happy Young XD

as for me... i am going with a CES CAI that i have had specially made up just for me :yahoo: B) keep in mind though, i have a s/c'ed 1zz ;)

Good luck mate :D

Evo

Hey fellas

Cheers,

Young

Hey mate,

if you want to, and if funds permit, get an Injen CAI, designed a lot more professionally then the TRD CAI, and will give you more gains...

The Dyno that was compared to on the Melbourne Crew a little while back had:

-De-snorkeled airbox

-TRD CAI

-CES CAI

-Injen CAI

though im not sure if its conclusive research lol :P

As for your second question, YES, the Apexi will be louder, but keep in mind that since it will basically be a pod filter where your airbox was, it will still be sucking in hot air - even if you have a air feed up to it... Now i don't want to start any arguments, but from everything i have researched, don't get an SRI unless you have a 1zz... CAI + LIFT = 1 Happy Young XD

as for me... i am going with a CES CAI that i have had specially made up just for me :yahoo: B) keep in mind though, i have a s/c'ed 1zz ;)

Good luck mate :D

Evo

Thanks for the Reply!

I must say currently, I am leaning towards SRI because of 2 reasons...

1. Puddles! Sydney has been raining heavily lately and I was picking up my missus from the club when I went passed a MASSIVE puddle. I realised that I probably won't see sh*t all at night in heavy rain which obviously won't be good news for a CAI.

2. The gains in power in the lower RPM ranges really appeal to me. I'll DEFINITELY use alot more lower revs than higher revs. I don't think Stivo is very quick on the launch so the extra hand will be helpful.

I don't want it to appear as though I've already made up my decision between the two. I'm simply putting together the pros and cons so that I can pick the right one for me.

Here's another brain rattler, is it possible (or better) to make a box for the SRI? Seal it in and stick a tube out the other end for the cold air feed? Kinda works like an inverse CAI.

Just a thought anyway... :yahoo:

Cheers,

Young

i dont really know when the cai/sri debate will end but heres the facts.......

whats the differance between all the top cai's on the market? nothing!! there all basically the same the differance between 1-4kws in real world conditions can not be felt.... trust me!!

the only differance between a cai and a ducted sri is? noise!! thats it

ps. when choosing a cai the only thing influenceing my decision would be if it was australian made and owned, invest in australian made performance products and in turn these tuners will invest in you.

ps. when choosing a cai the only thing influenceing my decision would be if it was australian made and owned, invest in australian made performance products and in turn these tuners will invest in you.

*cough cough CES cough* LOL :lol:

Evo

From my experience an SRI provided better throttle response, and no percieved increases in power. When I installed my CAI, I was impressed by the amount of torque I gained with it all over the place, including downlow, as long as my car is still moving I usually keep it in third gear and it pulls out no problems. I cannot comment on other types of CAI, since I only have experience with the CES one. But lets not bring the CES vs ALL debate into it again.

Another thing to note, is that once your car is moving (40+km/h) the air outide and in the engine bay is the same...so if your in alot of stop start traffic, then maybe a SRI is not a good idea...

get a CAI.

I've never had a SRI before but on my old civic I replaced the filter with a pod and felt no gains. A lot more noise but it also felt like it was struggling.

But that's just my opinion. =)