Xforce muffler

lucio: i've done what you're about to do already. i've changed the resonator, i've also added a 2nd one. with the xforce, it doesn't make a difference. Maybe about 0.5db. i thought it was going to make a difference too..but...nope!

Don't waste your money changing the stock system. it would have been better to get a sports muffler, with an optional silencer. i drive around with the silencer in all the time. and when i really want volume, then i'll take it off. that's bout it really.

doesn't really do much...

Just be careful. i've wasted $2,000+ already on trying different methods.

:( <_<

m2cw

Hey Guys,

First post. :) First of all i would like to thank everyone for their valuable advice and input that is shared on this forum. It is great to see so many other proud stivo owners representing the big T even though we do not have the support from TRD, Toyota etc and the majority of the time the help that is required in modifying our cars.

FYI below-

Exhaust System

The 2.4 litre Altise utilises a variable back pressure muffler. At low speeds the variable valve is closed, forcing the exhausts gas to flow through minute holes, thereby increasing the 'expansion ratio', resulting in reduced exhaust noise. At high engine speeds the variable valve opens allowing the exhaust gases to flow straight, thereby reducing back pressure, which results in an increase in engine power.

I assume that this is the same design as our mufflers. :blink:

I got my oil changed today by a mechanic friend of mine. While he had the car on the hoist he took a really good look a the car. He said the same as what tiger said, 3" from the engine to the cat, then 2 1/4 then 2. He said if anything put a sports exhaust with some back pressure, he said that if i touched the rest of the exhaust i would be wasting my money and probably stuff performance

cheers for the advice. :D it's going to be sports muffler for my stivo then :rolleyes:

The Stivo comes standard with the sports muffler. The sportivo sports muffler you see in the brochure is for lesser models to have the same muffler as the Stivo.

The Sports muffler is the 2 inch thats on your car when you buy it :)

• 3 months later...

hows it going,,

just trying to work out what we have reached to be the end result in this discussion,, are we saying don't mess around with the exhaust piping,, instead if you want some broom broom noises,, (which is always good) just change the tail pipe... ?? :blink:

thinking about chaning the stock sports muffler bit, to a cannon pipe just like everyone else,, but with all this talk about noise problem,, now i don't know what size cannon i should get if any

all advice would be welcome in this situation cheers guys

greg

QLD stivo owner :ph34r:

from my experience owning a Civic VTI-R, which i guess can be compared to ur high revvin sportivos.

when getting an aftermarket exhaust for the car, alot of research should be done. most local exhaust shops dont know much about our high revving, small displacement machines.

as far as i know, changing the muffler will yield little if not, no gains in power at all.

it's all noise!!!

changing the exhaust from cat. converter back, if done correctly will give some small gains, im talking like coupla kw's at the wheels. by correctly, i mean the right size piping etc. i'm not too familar with corollas and their factory piping sizes, however, you guys should find out what size piping the TRD system is, and tell ur local exhaust shop for some mandrel bent piping in that particular diameter piping.

the most gains are to be had in the header, matched with a hiflowing cat and well thought out catback piping + muffler, expect to get some decent gains!

when getting a catback exhaust, expect to lose a bit of torque down low, its not really noticeable, since civic vti'rs are gutless down low anyways (im assuming ur corollas are the same), however topend, is where u'll find gains, besides, when u want ur car to go quick, ur just playing with top end anyways right, ie in the LIFT ZONE! :)

so yeh - that is my opinion based on my own experiences when researching to upgrade my factory system. its easier for us honda boys as there are plenty of JDM bolt ons made for our cars.. however, toyota's aftermarket is somewhat smaller in comparison, so do ur research !!!

PS: sorry for the overly long post. :unsure:

Thanx for your input luzinit, it is greatly appreciated aspecially coming from a rival car owner B) , however having said that it is good to join forces on issues as there are only a handful of high revving engines out there. You guys are lucky since you have more parts, we sportivo owners are going through a "hit and miss" period, trying new things.

I have an official Remus exhaust on my 1zz rolla. In my humble opinion it sounds great and does improve performance a tiny bit.

A little better at taking off than before, thats all the difference I would say.

Its a great little exhaust, its not loud whilst idling nor is it incredibly loud for driving through a suburb at 3 in the morning.

BUT... put your foot down and get the revs up and she hums like a giant killer bee :lol:

Its really great as you can almost control the level of noise the remus exhaust puts out by lowering or raising your revs.

Looks great in my opinion too! Id highly reccommend this exhaust to anyone wanting a bit more sound and a bit of a better look.