Which Aurion to buy? older one or updated one

Nazza

Hi, i'm thinking of buying new Aurion early next month(01/10), probably the basic model, AT-X. I was told that new AT-X(not the updated one) is ~$30000 drive away, but new updated AT-X is ~$34500 drive away.

Would latest updated model be worth extra ~$4500? it comes with alloys, LED lights at the back, slightly better looking front bumper, etc.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_...odel-update.htm

Thanks in advance.

It's up to you really to make this decision. If you are looking for a good resale value, the facelift model would be the one to go for. I wouldn't particularly say that the extra $4,500 is worth it for what you get with it, but personally, when it comes to the AT-X, the facelift model does look sharper. You also get a higher safety rating as well which is a definite positive I would say.

As I said though, it is ultimately your choice. I would be leaning more towards the facelift model in my own opinion. See if you can try and get them to knock the price down for you a little... or at least throw in some extras.

it comes with alloys, LED lights at the back

Just to note, the pre-facelift model also has LED tail lights. Just a different design.

I didn't know updated model had higher safety rating. Anyway personally i don't think updated model doesn't look any better except for the alloys and rear LED lights.

Do you think it would be possible to buy the older model(save ~$4500) and get the new white LED rear lights from Sportivo models for extra cost? (i.e. trade in my old unused rear lights) and maybe also get 18" Kappa alloys.

I didn't know updated model had higher safety rating.

Sure does. Went up one star because Toyota opted to do the pole test and they put in a passenger seat belt reminder. This brought the score up from 30.03/37 to 33.03/37.

http://www.ancap.com.au/results/search/?se...keywords=aurion

Pre-facelift result

Facelift result

Do you think it would be possible to buy the older model(save ~$4500) and get the new white LED rear lights from Sportivo models for extra cost? (i.e. trade in my old unused rear lights)

You can't simply trade your old lights (unused or not) into Toyota. They will probably just laugh at you. You would only be able to sell them to someone else if you wanted to get money off it. Sure you can get the pre-facelift, but if you really want the tail lights, would you be willing to spend $1500+ just to buy them? Just the corner light alone costs $600.

...and maybe also get 18" Kappa alloys.

Sure you can buy these from Toyota, but they aren't particularly cheap. Alternatively if you want to get them cheaper, you better think quick because a set of 5 is currently on eBay with the bid at $600.

My biased opinion is that the new ATX looks less mean and more Japanese than the old. The front lines are sharper which in my opinion is a bad thing (sorry DJ, I dont agree LOL).. if that makes any sense. I have seen a few facelift ATX Aurions at a distance front on and confused them with Hondas (and almost had gag reflex because I thought a Toyota was a Honda).

If you are going to mod your car medium to heavily then get the pre-facelift because it pulls off the fat VIP look more. If you are not going to touch the car at all I say go the facelift because the added creature comforts seem worth it.

FYI new tail lights arnt class in my opinion.

I would also recommend you look at used late 2008 or 2009 ATX and SX or RX Aurions because you might be pleasently surprised at the cost saving.

New one looks no character. If you plan to sell it then go with facelift, if you plan to pass it to your wife/gf, then go with old one.

Personally I do not think that toyota will produce facelift for more than a year or two. New model must be coming if they plan to make sales.

Edited by avstral

I think new one looks much better cos even AT-X comes with alloys and wider front grill also looks bit better.

I also prefer the new rear light and white rear light on Sprotivo looks good on black or silver color Aurion imo.

Am i the only one out there that doesn't like the clear lights on the new model?

Looks a bit import after market add-on for a stock car..... just my opinion.

I say go with older model if you like it :)

all depends what colour it fits with. it dosen't fit with the white, mabe the black or similar dark coulor.

Am i the only one out there that doesn't like the clear lights on the new model?

Looks a bit import after market add-on for a stock car..... just my opinion.

I used to think the tail lights looked crap in photos, but when I actually saw one in person, I actually quite liked them. You have to see them in person to truly see what they look like.

all depends what colour it fits with. it dosen't fit with the white, mabe the black or similar dark coulor.

I actually think it fits perfect with the white. Saw a white police facelift Aurion Sportivo and it looked great. Personally I think the clear tail lights work with the lighter colours like Silver and Reef. I think it would look bad on the darker colours.

I've been toying with the idea of importing a pair of the Thai Camry Hybrid taillights for mine. Personally I prefer them over the facelift Aurion Sportivo lights. The Thai lights have that blueish tinge to part of them and still have a small red section, and I find that breaks it up a bit instead of being a totally clear/'frosted' panel. $ is the only thing stopping me. Probably for the best. Last thing I want is my Aurion to be regarded in the same class as every little ricer with their 'Altezza' lights. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Personally i like the new updated rear LCD lights, especially the clear white ones on Sportivo models. However clear white ones only look good on black or silver color car.

You can check em out on Toyota website, http://www.toyota.com.au/aurion/explore/co...T.ac=AurionEXCT

Anyway i'm gonna buy Aurion early next year, and i hope you guys can help me out. I had V6 camry b4 but don't know much about Aurion.

I'm going for basic AT-X model due to budget, probably get the older model(b4 update) cos its ~$4500 cheaper(~$30000 driveaway) according to one Toyota dealer. (pre update model doesn't have 16" Alloys on AT-X model)

If i buy the pre updated model would it more than $4500 cheaper next year, since it will be 2010?

Or maybe i can buy the updated model with 2009 plate if they can do good discount. How much cheaper would 2009 plate model be? and wat would be the main disadvantage of buying 2009 plated model? (basically would it be worth it?)

Thanks alot for any advice.

p.s.

another car i'm considering atm is Honda Accord 4cyl (non-euro, ~$31000 driveaway but only 4cyl) or Honda Accord Euro (~$35000 driveaway for auto i think, but too exp cos i should be able to get Sportivo for that much)

Edited by Nazza

Note that the Honda Accord Euro needs Unleaded (RON 95) minimum to run , while the Accord and Aurion will both run on RON 91 fuel.

I've heard that Honda servicing tends to be more expensive than Toyota's.

• 4 weeks later...

What u can expect frm the Accord Euro is high level of build quality, especially on the inside.. every piece of plastics has a nice touch to it.

But yes its a much smaller car so if value is your thing then get the Aurion.

sorry man, i disagree...

the euro has the same level of build quality as the aurion...

when you compare base models, both feel cheap and nasty... at least with the aurion you have a lot more room inside...

oh and dont start me on the dashboard of the euro... :ph34r:

i've owned the previous shaped euro and to be honest i had more problems with creaks and noises in the euro than i do in my trd...

not to mention the price of replacement parts was horrific!!

The update model of the Aurion that is selling for $35 990 (2009 build plates) is being sold with an extras pack of alloy wheels , rear spolier , display audio system and rear parking camera and I think metallic paint as well.

All of which I like other than the spolier.

I took one for a test drive a couple of weeks ago.

I'd also like to test drive the mid range Mazda 6 Classic to compare to the Aurion.

I think the Mazda 6 is a nicer alternative to the Camry ; if I was to go down the 4 cyl path ... being that petrol prices are up in the $1.30 mark at the moment, and since 2009 the Mazda 6 has been tuned to run on standard 91 RON fuel.

Anyone driven a Mazda 6 ? any comments? ... of course they don't have the same level of power as the Aurion but do seem like a nice classy car.

Just a Question

with the new aurion have they fixed the following issues:

*dash rattle

*leaking oil problem

*centre console that makes a creaky noise ( where the gear is between the front driver and passanger seats)....is this a common problem for everyone?

Also does it drives differently or is it just the same car with a different front bumper and rear tail lights

to those aurion owners are there little problems like this across all the models cos i kinda feel like as though toyota has cheaped out with quality after readying all these aurion owner thread with problems.

Just curious...cos its coming close to buying another car this year

Edited by Armstrong

What u can expect frm the Accord Euro is high level of build quality, especially on the inside.. every piece of plastics has a nice touch to it.

But yes its a much smaller car so if value is your thing then get the Aurion.

High Level.. I disagree...

sorry man, i disagree...

the euro has the same level of build quality as the aurion...

when you compare base models, both feel cheap and nasty... at least with the aurion you have a lot more room inside...

oh and dont start me on the dashboard of the euro... :ph34r:

i've owned the previous shaped euro and to be honest i had more problems with creaks and noises in the euro than i do in my trd...

not to mention the price of replacement parts was horrific!!

The level is slightly higher in the euro w/ the base model.. At least they give a damn to put up some sort of sound-proof.

+1 with the parts. Not to mention the car is more expensive to Aurion.

My Opinion, The drive should feel the same to the previous aurion. Only an issue has been admitted by Toyota, so I doubt they have all the issues fixed, since it's a new model with pretty much the same with evrything except for the looks. Have a chat with those who bought ones already and raise your issues with the salesman and mechanics beforehand, and always test drive them. Personally, if the problems can be fixed under the warranty, i wouldn't mind.

Weird its only me feeling this way.. I currently have the Euro Gen-1 and Toyota Kluger (similar build quality to the Aurion?) that replaced my old Corolla. Every button & knob in the Euro has a nicer feel. Each button on the stereo pushes in with the same force, whereas on the Toyota.. there's some inconsistency, etc. The way & the sound doors shut, again, the Euro feels more solid even than the Kluger.

I dont mean to bash a Toyota in a Toyota forum.

Edited by boleh

Today I sat in a $106,000 2009 Audi wanting to compare to the Aurion and all I can say is that there is a huge difference in build quality. The Audi felt sterdy, safe, quiet and everything inside was tight. Nothing moved, nothing squeeked, nothing made a noise. The doors closed and opened with great precision. Made my Aurion(but many average priced cars) look like an old Russian car :P. But I still love my car. :)

Also, my mate has a 2007 accord. I don't like it very much. The cheapest build quailty in a car that is meant to be something decent. I thought it was a 2004 at least but when he said 07 I was shocked. My Aurion is the same but looks light years ahead and better then the accord. He even thinks my car is better :P

Edited by unique

:lol: you're comparing your car with something thats SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive...

my mum's CLC200 and my dad's ML350 are really really built well... but in saying that, you get that with a mercedes...

if i wanted something with similiar brakes/power/handling as my trd, id be paying over 100k for something euro..

i used to think that merc was a waste of money and that there was no way they were worth the asking price... but now after seeing my parents mercs and driving them a fair bit, i can safely say that they are worth every cent...

honda on the other hand is just an overpriced jap car... :P :lol:

........which is even worse...

try and find one of the new accord shapes, but one that was one of the first sold in aussie... the roof has a wave in it... :lol:

a dealer at ford (who used to work at honda) told me about it.. i thought it was just a load of sh!t, but then i saw one for myself..

unbelievable that they let that kinda sh!t out of the factory!! :lol: