car stereos....

just wondered since i am car sound mad what sorts of db ratings everyone is pulling in their rollas....

i found that in my excel i was easily able to get 145db.... bought a new rolla and the best i have managed is 143.... :angry: ready and willing though to crank some gains to beat my own record.... :P

if you hadnt noticed, i am oddly drawn to car sound.... all the fellas at the sound offs that i have entered all give me the oddest looks.... it may be my lucky tuning screw driver hanging out of my back pocket, tradesman style... lol

right now, stock... so not very loud... lol...

BUT planning on replacing the whole system with some quality gear - i might be able to crack your record :P

i just dont wanna compromise our already minimal boot space with a couple of 12" subs or a 15" or something... so perhaps i wont be able to beat it... i will probably focus on getting the best quality at fairly high volumes than SPL...

anyway welcome to the forums...

Tom

Mines great in the backseat, cool in the front, and crap outside...but thats the way I wanted it.... :)

Mines great in the backseat, cool in the front, and crap outside...but thats the way I wanted it.... :)

Sound so much like mine.. Rattles are a bitch though...

I dunno how loud mine is.. It's aright to ***** of the neighbours.

Sound so much like mine.. Rattles are a bitch though...

I dunno how loud mine is.. It's aright to ***** of the neighbours.

the most embarrasssing thing is that if the rattles are louder on the outside of the car than inside...

As someone else mentioned, i'm getting a little too old for all that stuff. Had a pretty big system in the last car,(128db in a very small cabin) it created so many rattles in the hatch, wont be doing that this time round.

When the cash is saved up i'll replace the headunit , front splits rear and rear speakers. Prob get a little 10" moulded into the boot in the cavity behind one of the tail lights, carpeted to match so it looks factory and integrated.

Link that to a 4/3 channel amp to run the splits and the sub and we're done.

completely stock! Even the stickers "do not blah blah" are still on it. Hardly use the stereo, i'd sell it, but i doubt anyone would buy it.

I just love listening to the engine.

I got 144.6 in my best reading from the rolla.

Won my class in DB racing at motorvation car show in Perth as well.

:D

I'm over the doof doof now though, if your into car audio check my garage thing link in my sig... have my install and crap there. :)

I got 144.6 in my best reading from the rolla.

Won my class in DB racing at motorvation car show in Perth as well.

:D

I'm over the doof doof now though, if your into car audio check my garage thing link in my sig... have my install and crap there.  :)

rob, you have the craziest install i know of! :) :P :lol::rolleyes: :D 145dbs.. nice! very nice! fabuloussssso! :lol::lol: :D :P :lol: B)

any upgrades soon? type x's? ;) ;) ;)

Blue Rolla -

i haven't tested mine recently but late last year when i installed my rockford 500x with the 2 12' strike series lightning's i pulled 145.1 db at half gain having the box sitting on the back seats while they've been pulled down. i found by moving the box slightly over the black seat i gained 2db :P if you have a portable setup trying moving the sub around it all comes down to how your sound reverbs off the back of the hatch and how much actually bounces back into the front. always face subs towards the back for better db. i haven't tried full gain on mine and i don't think i will.... as it is half gain it smashes you. everyday driving i have it at 1/4 gain. its enough to knock someone's socks off.

i heard a story that someone actually gained 3db by putting a fluffy dice on their rear vision mirror. scientifically made sense. it broke the sound direction and shifted it towards where the mic was sitting. funnily he got the record.

what set up do you have?

i dont know anyone who has anything to test the db in my car but i can tell you when cranked right up its clear but depending on what type of music im playin its also ear piercing.

love to get it tested however couldnt be f____d entering any comps to check it out.

i dont know anyone who has anything to test the db in my car but i can tell you when cranked right up its clear but depending on what type of music im playin its also ear piercing.

love to get it tested however couldnt be f____d entering any comps to check it out.

same here... unless u know someone who has the testing equipment. lets go to a sound competition one day and get it tested... and who knows, maybe we'll win :lol: :D :P :) <_< ;) ;) :D :lol::lol:

A mere 151dB at the moment... Getting new subs soon and gunna beat it :D  :D  :D ...

nice rolla boy, what does your system consist of?

something like that you'd have to be running 0 gauge wiring.

and your amp would have to be pumping well over 1000rms to feed subs to kick that hard?

what ohm'g do you run? and is it a bridged system?

Blue Rolla -

i haven't tested mine recently but late last year when i installed my rockford 500x with the 2 12' strike series lightning's i pulled 145.1 db at half gain having the box sitting on the back seats while they've been pulled down. i found by moving the box slightly over the black seat i gained 2db  :P if you have a portable setup trying moving the sub around it all comes down to how your sound reverbs off the back of the hatch and how much actually bounces back into the front. always face subs towards the back for better db. i haven't tried full gain on mine and i don't think i will.... as it is half gain it smashes you. everyday driving i have it at 1/4 gain. its enough to knock someone's socks off.

i heard a story that someone actually gained 3db by putting a fluffy dice on their rear vision mirror. scientifically made sense. it broke the sound direction and shifted it towards where the mic was sitting. funnily he got the record.

what set up do you have?

well... nothing special... two 12 inch kicker comp subs, a 1000watt kenwood amp, and thats about it.... except for custom boxes which are my secret weapon... :P

i also 2 sets of 6" pioneer speakers for the rear and front, and a small amp for them, but the standard ones are doing ok at the moment....

i am beginning to be bored by the whole sound off scene, that and i am sick of overpowering subs and being a treble rebel till i save up for more... <_< infact i hardly ever listen to my sound system up loud anymore, mainly cos my boyfriend complains that it hurts his ears....

:rolleyes:

sounds like a tight setup...

its always comes down to the box and positioning with db.

i'm not in competition anymore but i like my system to deliver quick responses and to do that you need high powered amps. basically i'd like to convert back to a single sub prefrebaly a image dynamics 12'.

my custom box is just way too big when you put it in a hatch rolla!!! plus it weigh's my ride down too much, it weighs bout 50kgs with subs!!!

stock speakers in the rolla is nice. i don't actually have plans to change that at all... and like you i don't listen to my system loud unless u get a git who's got a sony setup for less than 1k who's tryin to pump up his system at the lights... then i break the seal... surprisingly... 9/10 turn their systems down

got pics of ur rolla Jade?

Havent tested my system yet... waiting for a local sound off event to occur. My old system that I had consisted of Two Soundstream USA 10's. I got 144.5DB out of them in my Barina in the sportivo they got 142.3DB.

My new system should be upto about the 146DB mark, personally I don't care how loud it goes.... I preffer sound quality. My system currently consists of the following.

Eclipse CD8454 Headunit

Focal Utopia 165W's in custom fron door pods.

JL 300/4 AMP for front splits

JL 1000/1 AMP for Sub

Image Dynamics ID MAX 12"

Custom boot install, Half done.

Peter.