Fog Light Globes

Fight! fight! :spiteful::whistling:

They are designed to spread light over a larger distance.

Correct, a LOWER, wider span, not higher or further...

With the conditions of road here in SA, im happy to pay a fine rather than rip off my front lip or need a wheel alignment every 3 months...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate those ppl who think they need to show everyone they have HID's and drive around with HIGH BEAM HIDs! :@ :angry:
you sound like a truckie,

:lol: foggies are a truckies pet hate, they have two names for them which i cant say here...

I got replacement globes too for one reason, to match my headlights.. Ive used mine three times only, two cruises and fog on the way to Vic

you sound like a truckie,

:lol: foggies are a truckies pet hate, they have two names for them which i cant say here...

I also learnt that HID's in reflector housings don't go down well with them either. I will never drive the interstate with such a setup again. During an overtaking procedure, I learnt that they have a pretty bright light facing backwards located on the top of their side mirrors. Not very easy to overtake on the wrong side of the road when this thing is turned on. And damn they have some pretty bright high beams/driving lights once you manage to complete the procedure.

Never.... again.

So I live in Sydney and well the last week I have had to deal with fog every day :blink:

I dont have fog lights in my zze122 Rolla yet but in my 380 I do and I have them on alot and I have changed the globes which happen to be H11's as well

I love being lumped in with bad drivers cause we seem to be the MAJORITY compared with the good drivers

Seriously though

My lights have being aligned by my mechanic and his alignment machine to proper specs as set out in the workshop manuals

I only feel it is a problem if cars are poorly maintained

and they usually have a headlight pointing up too which is even MORE annoying than foggies or have HIDs without projectors :angry:

Usually my lights are always on with my foggies , never ever had anyone say a single thing. Having a big cry over it makes me want to leave them on even more now!

Usually my lights are always on with my foggies , never ever had anyone say a single thing. Having a big cry over it makes me want to leave them on even more now!

+1.. im with ya evil..

kevin

me three

ME 4!!!!

Check you manual, it tells you how to replace them with pictures, and what globes you need are in the back section.

H11 55w....

Thanks Dutchie! ;)

Bro if u want 4300k hid foggies, i can hook u up, i import HIDs from over seas, H11s are 60 bucks delivered n i takes about a week to arrive. Let me know if u want them...

This THREADS FUNNY!!!!!!! Wooooooooooo Saaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Oh what have i started! :spiteful: He heee

GTLO5T, can you get the "No Glare" HID kits, the ones with the shielded globes?

Hey dutchie, im not sure about those ones, ive neva seen them b4, do u have a pic??

The bulbs will have a black coating similar to what can be seen in this comparison photo:

PhilipsD2R.gifPhilipsD2S.jpg

Despite what some think, the advantages of this shied is not always great (even non existent) when the headlamp reflector isn't already designed with this in mind and/or the lamp doesn't have the glare shield orientated correctly.

The bulbs will have a black coating similar to what can be seen in this comparison photo:

PhilipsD2R.gifPhilipsD2S.jpg

Despite what some think, the advantages of this shied is not always great (even non existent) when the headlamp reflector isn't already designed with this in mind.

Thanks for that bro... to be honest, they look useless!! i dont reckon theyll do anything...

Thanks for that bro... to be honest, they look useless!! i dont reckon theyll do anything...

When combined with a properly designed reflector, they actually work quite well. The problem here is, this was for a headlight design by Mecedes from a little while back. Now manufacturers of these kits think that they can utilise it to make sales and don't realise that the glare shield has to be placed appropriately at the very least for it work. Then comes the issue of the reflector housing that it goes in, which they can't cater for everyone.

Edit: For example, these lamps here are H7 and you can see where the shield in in relation to the locating tab:

h7r280.jpg

Not all cars that have H7 bulbs have the locating tab at the bottom. Some have it on the side (either 45 or 90 degrees to the vertical)... or even worse, the top. If the locating tab was at the top, so would the glare shield. This would result in lower light output and glare problems still there.

A good example of how most of these are just for marketing, they state on their product listing:

The bulb has a small blackout sticker on the top of the bulb to stop 'glare'.

When in fact this statement is incorrect as the glare is produced by light emitted from the bottom side of the lamp reflecting on the bottom half of the reflector upwards towards anything in front.

@ guys who like to keep your foggies on... Why not to buy a set of these? I like the idea. Would buy a set for myself if I hadn't allready bought HIDs...

002.jpg

Best regards, Alex

Ive been using a set similar to these in the fog lights in my aurion...

just my take on them: their nice and white, and look the ducks nuts, however, functionality is pretty poor... they dont illuminate enough for them to serve any real purpose apart from looks.

however, if your just going for the look... id highly recommend them :)

post-13790-1266937890_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1266938097_thumb.jpg

functionality is pretty poor... they dont illuminate enough for them to serve any real purpose apart from looks.

That's true, I knew that. They're just for looks and to be used as DRLs so that other drivers could notice you.

But as far as I understand guys on this thread are using foggies just for the same reason, the looks.

On the other hand some guys here are irritated by blinding foggy users.

So why not to use cool-looking, cheap DRLs 24/7. Everyone would be happy. I am amazed that no-one did rise this LED foggy option up in this thread.

There was some conversation about seeing the road better with foggies. Foglights are made to use during fog, thick rain or snow.

They are not to be used during clear weather conditions. And I don't understand how they help seeing bumps and other defects of the road...

They are giving their light so close to the car that when their light reaches the bump, there's nothing you can do

(depending on speed of course, but if you're doing over 40km/h there's not much you can do.

For this purpose there are low beam lights and they help to spot the potholes out if they are aligned correctly... I am not defending any point of view. These are just technical thoughts and I am always trying to learn something new :)

Best regards, Alex

And I don't understand how they help seeing bumps and other defects of the road...

They are giving their light so close to the car that when their light reaches the bump, there's nothing you can do

(depending on speed of course, but if you're doing over 40km/h there's not much you can do.

I completely agree with this statement. I was going to say this earlier but in that time is was prime feeding time for the trolls so I withheld my statements.

I was also going to add that having fog lights on during clear conditions can actually reduce your own visibility. The reason for this is that headlights have that gap between the front of the car and the point in which the beam hits the road. Because your eyes see things based on illumination (obviously) having the beam extend out like that means your eyes will be more sensitive and therefore see things better up further where the headlights are.

Now when you turn your fog lights on, this puts a fair amount of light in that section between the car and where the low beam headlights hit the road. As this are of light is closer, it tends to be a little brighter and what you get here is your eyes becoming more sensitive to the section illuminated by the fog lights. This means a larger portion of your visibility is closer to the car, rather than further out when the fog lights are off.

But most people think that because things appear brighter for their eyes, their visibility must be improved. When in fact, this isn't exactly the case.

Anyways, that's enough troll feed for now. And by the way, the LED DRL fog light idea is a great idea because like you said, people only really seem to do it for the looks.

Excellent, someone brought up the SMD foggies... We must all be on the same wavelength :)

Has anyone tried these:

H11, 18x5050 SMD (3 chip)

SL-H11-SMD18W-1.jpg

Or these:

H11, 68 x SMD:

285137687_tp.jpg

Or

H11, 27x5050 (no chip #)

Or

H11, 102x SMD

342540303_o.jpg

Pity these guys dont always list the size of the SMD's nor the chip# in all the stock. From past experience, the 5050's (3 chip) would be brightest, but probably more spread from the smaller ones..

Ah its good we can all agree on the SMD thing, no fighting at home... ;)

BTW, don't know if you do this in AUS, but I believe it's not very popular there. However in Russia this is a very common way of tuning.

You don't like bright foggies during the day. What would you say about a car on a dark freeway or inside the city limits on a weakly illuminated street, reversing with HIDs as reversing lights? :D Haven't seen one before but I am sure and have heard from others it is VERY bright and blinding, as the rear lamps aren't designed to reflect light to a certain direction like the front ones, so it's just spreading it... I just saw a pic of an Auris with such kind of "improvement". It is made to see better where are you reversing to during the dark. See for yourself:

135170014.jpg

135170016.jpg

Best regards, Alex :)

Guys, do you know if it's good to upgrade the fuse to a smaller one after installing those?

I wouldn't necessarily say it's goodd... but that said, it definitely won't hurt. The purpose of the fuse is basically to protect the wiring of the car. As long as the fuse is rated to a current less of that than the cable can carry, then it is fine. Basically, if your LED lights fail, having a smaller fuse isn't necessarily going to save them as the LED's will blow first.

As for the HID reversing lights, good idea in concept due to the extra vision, but rather dangerous, especially if you are reverse parallel parking on the side of a road while cars are around.

I completely agree with this statement. I was going to say this earlier but in that time is was prime feeding time for the trolls so I withheld my statements.

Anyways, that's enough troll feed for now.

If you mean me, I've said my piece, either people take it on board - or they don't. :P

Just don't get me started on rear fog lights... :rolleyes: