Which would you choose???

MR22ZZ

Which of the following rims should I get?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Number 1

gallery_279_18_1119090191.jpg

Number 2

gallery_279_18_1119090097.jpg

Number 3

gallery_279_18_1119090026.jpg

Number 4

gallery_279_18_1119089950.jpg

Also one of the guys in one of the stores recommended I drop down to 205/40r17 as they are more common and easier to get, what are your thoughts, I was wanting 205/45 as it is closer to the rolling diameter but he was insisting that the 205/40 was better...??? Just confused me more... :blink::huh::blink::huh::unsure::unsure::rolleyes:

4 is my favourite! :) Get them get them!!

Also with regards to tyres, i think 205/40 will give an incorrect load rating of 84 wouldn't it? You would like 87 or higher, plus i wouldn't want too low profile tyres, it can buckle the rims easier and rattle your tooth fillings out of the sockets everytime you are on Sydney roads ;) I am battling with 50 profile tyres already, miss the cushy ride of 55 profile :P

Edited by ZEEROLLA

yeah number 4 all the way mate i was planning on getting the same wheels but in black.plus id dare say that they are the lightest of the lot.

the wheels i am gonna get now im looking at 205/45/17 or 215/45/17.but there are plent of tyres with the 45 ratting i know theres more in 40 but you can still get the goods and have the right load rating.

completely agree Craig...

I actually only put #3 in to see what the reaction would be ;), someone at least took the bait. Personally I thought they were hidious but on the right car could look OK.

For an update... The place that sell #1 and #2 put them up against the car side by side, both front and back and I can tell you, prior to going out there and seeing them #2 was my favourite, after seeing then as they would look on the car, #1 wins hands down. Gives it a real agressive look, the only problem I have is his advice on tyres, he kept telling me, '205/40r17 is the one for corolla' and I kept telling him 'it's not a corolla it's a Sportivo, they are different', he never got it!!!

He tryed putting the 205/40r17 tyre up against mine and even with a well warn 195/55r16 the ones he was suggesting just look too small. Going to 215/40r17 I wouldn't mind so much as the change in rolling diameter is not as dramatic, but he jsut wouldn't listen, and the advice he gave compared to other places to do with tyres was very conflicting. Figtree Tyre Center where I normally go for repairs told me 205/45r17 the very 1st time I enquired about upgrading about 6 months ago, these guys are always great and I trust them more them some gut trying to ofload some cheapies on me...

But this other place is the only place I can find these wheels (#1) so I'm stuck with Mr Ignorant.... Unless I get the Speedys, in which case I'll go to Figtree as they've given me an awesome quote ;)

Edited by Blue_Stivo

Number 1 is my favourite - I like dish and studs.

Number 4 is my second pick - I like them on MAP81's car.

Number 3 is becoming way too common ( In Melbourne anyway ) alot of VR/VS Commodores have them.

In regards to tyres - he's yanking your chain, there's heaps available 205/45 88, 215/45 is a little harder to get with the 88 load rating.

Edited by IZZ-FE

Blue_Stivo,

I think they might be leading you astray here a little.

Now, I have just finished fitting up my 18's and rest assured I researched tyres for countless hours before I made my choice.

At one point the so called "tyre professionals" recommended I fit a 215/35/18, which was not available in the correct load rating nor fitted correctly on a 7.5 inch rim.

Their reason for recommendation? They had them in stock.

Now I hear you all saying: "thats a legitimate size for an 18x7.5", and you would all be right. However, its not within the load rating nor is it the closest match available for the stock rolling circumference of 620mm.

In my case a 225/35/18 satisfied the load rating and is only a few mm shy of 620.

The profile is slightly higher than a 215 even though we are comparing 35 series tyres.

As others have stated a 215/45/17 is readily available and is your best bet here.

This size comes in at 625mm whereas a 205/40/17 comes in at 595mm.

Besides the fact that it is lower it will also be narrower across the rim, giving you less to zero rim protection.

The brand and price is up to you but just bare all that in mind so you dont make the same mistake I nearly did.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Personally I like #3, the gold HP's, only cos i'm a big fan of the 5 spoke style

Edited by mick0082

1,2 and 3 are all fairly cheap and about the same price, you can do better then $700 for #3 as well if it's just the rims ;)

just got an even better deal on #4 (fitted with 205/45r17s) then the previous one ;)

but still the most expensive option and requires just a little more saving...

1,2 and 3 are all fairly cheap and about the same price, you can do better then $700 for #3 as well if it's just the rims ;)

just got an even better deal on #4 (fitted with 205/45r17s) then the previous one ;)

but still the most expensive option and requires just a little more saving...

yeah but i dare say number 4 is lighter than the others therefore a better option for the extra money. PLUS speedy have other wheels that look alot meaner than the ones ya looking at but there not lite weight rims just normal. so maybe look at them aswel.

from bob jane i was quoted:

$279 for the speedy lite7 in 17x7

$280 for speedy lite7 in 18x7

yeah but i dare say number 4 is lighter than the others therefore a better option for the extra money. PLUS speedy have other wheels that look alot meaner than the ones ya looking at but there not lite weight rims just normal. so maybe look at them aswel.

from bob jane i was quoted:

$279 for the speedy lite7 in 17x7

$280 for speedy lite7 in 18x7

Speedy do have other options, just not in gold ;)

I have been quoted $260 for lite7's (worst case scenario)

completely agree Craig...

I actually only put #3 in to see what the reaction would be ;), someone at least took the bait. Personally I thought they were hidious but on the right car could look OK.

I like #3 because of its clean, smooth look ... I'm not a fan of all the rivets and little indents, either for looks or cleaning. That's why I'm a fan of the rims on our wagon ... I just want them polished for a reasonable price!

At the end of the day, its what looks best to your eyes, if anyone then sees your car and comments favourably, then that's icing on the cake, isn't it?

I'd go 3 or 1. I'm not a fan of gold wheels so it's a bit hard for me to choose. As for tyres i'd go with 215/40/17 as they are only marginally smaller than stock and i'd much rather have my speedo read a few km's faster than slower. When I'm doing 100km/hr i'm actuallly doing 97. Big deal you say but it is when it could be the difference between $130 and 3 points or $250 and 4 points it's a big deal. :)

• 2 months later...
ah.. nice!

but what tyres did u choose?

I just got some cheap @rse Silverstones that came in the package (that or Nankangs <_< ) The tread pattern is nearly identical to the Turansas that come with the car and supposedly the tires have a decent lifetime, which is what I was after. I'll be getting some sticky rubber for the stock rims in due course.... :D