What car has street cred?

Continuing from the other thread about someone saying the Aurion has no street cred got me wondering. What car can someone buy that does have street cred but is almost identical in these dot points:

*Around the price of $24,000

*High to mid 50,000KMs.

*Rated fuel economy

*Features (like prodidy)

*Power

*Room

I bought the Aurion more so because it was a sensible buy rather then looking for street cred with my fast and furious pals.

A quick search on carsales, anything for around that price range will usually come up with crappy 4 cylinder vehicles or vehicles that use MORE fuel then Aurion on average.

If you are after a car with good street cred, in my opinion, you are going to have to make sacrifices in terms of fuel economy, room, and features... and to a lesser extent, price. You can't exactly have everything you want.

If you want to satisfy all those categories, you will have to make sacrifices on street cred. It's as simple as that really. But if you were to try and satisfy all those categories, then I would say that a Sportivo Aurion 2nd hand would be up there.

Also, I moved this tread to somewhere more appropriate.

I think you also need to be a bit more specific as well unique. Personally, if I was asking the question, I would be asking for cars that come stock with said 'street cred' or don't require much work to get to that point.

For example, I would say a stock Supra or R34 Skyline holds a fair bit of street cred as it is... despite how common they are already.

If you are after a car with good street cred, in my opinion, you are going to have to make sacrifices in terms of fuel economy, room, and features... and to a lesser extent, price. You can't exactly have everything you want.

If you want to satisfy all those categories, you will have to make sacrifices on street cred. It's as simple as that really. But if you were to try and satisfy all those categories, then I would say that a Sportivo Aurion 2nd hand would be up there.

Also, I moved this tread to somewhere more appropriate.

You are exactly right. Never though about actually having to sacrifice those things to have a car with street credit. I guess you cannot have it both ways unless you have to money. Same with ZR6 and SX6. The SX6 is something can afford but lacks the features as the Prodigy and the ZR6 is still out of my budget.

But do you think if I owned this Camry I would have street cred with the kids?

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/f845738a-4b58-4d26-823f-6742beacf9ba.jpg

What a stupid thread!

Pointless thread is pointless? :lol:

Nah seriously, after someone saying the Aurion has ZERO street cred. It made me wonder if that is really what people think. I wonder if it would have been a different situation if all Aurions came out with 'fully sik' body kits but everything else was the same.

Is it fair to compare something like a big car like a 2007 VE to the ZR6? Ask most people and they would say 2007 VE even though it lacks the safety, features and fuel econ.

I'd buy an Aurion over a VE any day based on the fact that the aurion looks much nicer than the VE which looks like a giant veiny ***** after a night at the brothel but thats just my view... some people don;t even know what an Aurion is because they don;t look very far. Im not overally interested in Aurions or Camry's etc but at least with one of them standing out such as 1stkills car you see it and go , hey they looks really nice!

define Street cred though? Your idea of street cred would be different to mine and of course different to the next persons???

It sounds like what your after if a vehicle that has the lure of surprise and that turns people’s heads, Aurion has this in spades i mean when you see a nicely done up Aurion it does catch your attention because you dont know what it is (well ofourse we do but other don’t) then they see the Toyota badge and think wtf! as if that’s a Toyota! Then we want too know all about Aurion as most of them are not familiar with the car and it is and why it even exists. then of course Aurion actually has the power train to back up eye catching looks, and the fact that there rare especially done up Sportivo’s just helps the cause, really would you want to join the other million billion people that drive SV6's or XR6's? Every second car is either one of them!

Street cred? Uh ok...

Suppose you could go for a Mark II Chaser or an Aristo, if you want something with street cred forget fuel efficiency!

If I was spending that kinda dosh I wouldn't care about street cred.

I'd say Adamsy is right. Everyone has their own thoughts about what 'street cred' could be defined as. Sure enough you can take a basic everyday car, put some nice wheels on it, lower it, and do some subtle styling mods and you can turn it from a basic car to something wit ha bit of style. But to me, that's not really what defines street cred.

Not that I use the term because that is just so 'Fast and the Furious', but if you were to ask me, I would say street cred with respect to a car is how well the car is designed in terms of style and performance just how it left the factory. It's like how I would define a woman's real beauty not by how well she looks in makeup, but how she looks without.

Generally such cars would be of the expensive variety (like your Audi's etc), but for the more cost efficient choices, nothing really beats a quality Japanese import.

V35 Skyline 350GT...

Around 24k now, tick.

High to mid 50,000kms, tick.

Rated fuel economy, tick.

Features, tick.

Power, tick.

Room, well you CAN get the sedan and it will be even cheaper, but the coupe has decent room too, tick.

Here was my old one...plenty of attention but none of the bad either :)

Had it modded to 245kw at engine (185rwkw), handled brilliant for size (had uprated shocks/springs and whiteline f/r swaybars), and stopped ok with factory option brembos.

An aurion actually tried to test me too, they failed :P

gallery_56118_3384_13184.jpg

Continuing from the other thread about someone saying the Aurion has no street cred got me wondering. What car can someone buy that does have street cred but is almost identical in these dot points:

*Around the price of $24,000

*High to mid 50,000KMs.

*Rated fuel economy

*Features (like prodidy)

*Power

*Room

I bought the Aurion more so because it was a sensible buy rather then looking for street cred with my fast and furious pals.

A quick search on carsales, anything for around that price range will usually come up with crappy 4 cylinder vehicles or vehicles that use MORE fuel then Aurion on average.

+1 for the V35 Skyline 350GT...

i would love the sedan version as its more practical... :lol:

if it has to be a Australian made car then i cant look past the TRD Aurion SL...

power, good looking body kit, decent room and practical... only little things lets me down was they would have added some more luxuries to make it even more better value for money... :P

i'm thinking now that DJKOR has the TRD it would be nice to fit in the facelift tail lights (clear version...) :clap:

Anything that performs better than what i expected from that car and it's peers in terms of cylinders

I don't expect a sportivo to take down a WRX

For example, a sportivo, like HILIFT, performs well better than standard and has street cred in my book

A stock WRX has little cred in my book

Also, important what is kept off the car, generally the more stickers, the less cred

whitestivo

A stock WRX has little cred in my book

Also, important what is kept off the car, generally the more stickers, the less cred

Disagree with the first statement, because the second covers it - I have plenty of respect for stock WRXs because it means that the owner/driver respects the quality and performance of the core product, like a collectors item.

Since when do REX owners care for their car , every guy ive met with a rex treats it like a fat chick :(

I know a few

Davo has put at least something resembling care into his...

Mazda rx3

I will see your RX3 and raise you a Suzuki Mighty Boy....but seriously i would have to say some of the old 60's & 70's American muscle cars would have some street cred but in my humble opinion i would say that most if not all the supercars (Lambo,Aston Martin,Porshe,Zonda,Bugatti ect ect) would have so called street cred,and i know they are way over budget but they make everyone stop and stare and even comment,i know i still comment and dream when i see the high end performance machines...is that what street cred is?

For me stret creds like the guy in my area with the clean silver chrysler sigma that appears to be stock until you work out it's got a 13BT hiding between the front gaurds ... the fact that it's different , built by the owner and not over the top to look at makes it in my book!