Wheels & Tyres

Tash

So I was having a look through our Show n Shine section and noticed there was no thread on wheel/tyre cleaning!! I'm always wanting to learn new things about detailing and my wheels are annoying me lately - I just can't seem to find a product that really brings out the shine. Because mine are part matte black/part 'chrome' (more like painting the bare alloy) I find it really difficult to get something that works. If I use chrome polish those bits look great but the black bits don't.

The other big problem I have is that "hazing", like lines through the chrome even though I buff/wipe everything off. I did wash them today with Meg's Ultimate Wash and Wax and they have come up much cleaner but still a little dull. So far I haven't strayed from Meg's/Mothers - I find Meg's Non Acid wheel cleaner to work pretty well but it doesn't last long.

As for tyres, I really like Polyglaze's Tyre Shine for when I'm being lazy/in a hurry, gives pretty good results for $7 a can. Although I have picked up Meg's Endurance tyre gel and I must say its fantastic, just apply it with a brush or those foam pads shaped to fit the tyre. It lasts for quite a while, and I haven't tried applying two coats yet like it suggests on the bottle for higher gloss.

Clean and wheels are two words you can't really put together if you intend on driving your car. Unfortunately, the wheels are exposed to quite a lot on the road and no matter how much effort you put into it, you are going to have to do it again and again.

That said, for cleaning the wheels, the best cleaner I have come across is the Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. I can't really comment on the other variety of cleaners they have (aluminium, chrome, etc), but this one in particular has given excellent results on factory wheels. You still need to detail the wheels afterwards (well I go afterwards not during) but for the majority of it, the wheel cleaner will break down the grime.

As far as protecting the wheels, the best product I have used so far is Sonax Wheel Rim Coating. It's about $25 for a can and 1 can can do up to 8 wheels inside and out. I have found that when using this, an application of the Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner with no scrubbing can remove up to what I would estimate to be 90-95% of the dirt/brake dust off the wheels. Without the coating, this would usually be about 70%.

The effects are said to last about 5 washes or so. It has been about that, and my wheels are as dirty on the inside as they were when I started, and I'm not really in the mood to pull them off again.

white car, white wheels, race pads

I use a chux so i can get my hand in behind to take off the dust inside, i find this keeps wheels cleaner longer as dust doesn't come out to front of wheel in the wet

I'm keen hear what people recommend for tyre black also as my "aussie grade" product is average at best

whitestivo

Cheers for the replies :) Daryl - I know exactly what you mean, especially as a daily driver. Will have to look out for that Sonax stuff, and I like the Chux idea too to get in and clean behind the wheels.

I really need to get the Sonax rim wax.

I use this mag cleaner that I got from Supercheap then I get on my hands and knees and cleans the damn things with a rag and this cleaner wax spray. Meguiars Endurance tyre gel is ok, but it doesn't has much in terms of shine; I should try the double coat.

Car wash + dry = 20minutes.

Car wash + dry + alloys = 35-40minutes

wheels and tires are just one of those things that constantly need attention.

i have found that, as with any part of car detailing/cleaning: the intial effort put into the preperation will greatly reduce the follow up washing/maintaining...

i would suggest you invest in a dedicated (as in dont use it on your car body.. only for the wheels/tires) wash mit, good quality wheel brush and a brush for your tires..

be sure to also wash your wheels before you start washing the rest of your car (obviously after the wheels/brakes have cooled down enough to avoid warping rotors and the such).. any sort of car wash soap will do... i personally use a dedicated bucket and meguiars NXT gen car wash (from my experience it is slightly stronger than gold class/ultimatewash&wax)... start by rinsing with water, and using the wheel brush to clean between the spokes and behind the wheel.. then follow up with the mit to clean the face of the wheel and any remaining surfaces... dont forget to scrub your tires to remove any old tire dressing... then while your there use the brush the scrub the inner wheel guards.. then rinse all soap away... now move onto your next wheel... once all done you start washing the rest of your car (with a fresh bucket of car wash of your choice and different wash mitt!)

ive found that after washing and drying the wheel, an application of a good sealant/wax will greatly reduce the amount of time/effort needed on the next wash.. as the brake dust and grime tends to fall off a lot easier..

tash, if you find the finish on your wheels to be dulling off, remember, most modern wheels (OEM and aftermarket) will likely have a clearcoat protecting them... thus you can essentially treat it like you would your car body... ie using a paint cleaner such as swirlx/scratchx/ultimate compound to bring back the shine/remove water marks from your wheels... just remember to follow up with a coat of wax to lock in the shine.

as for tires, ive had nothing but great results from using meguiars hot tire shine gel. long lasting shine, great protection, and resists water pretty well... just be careful to wipe off any excess to avoid tire sling...

good luck and hope this helps :)

Edited by -DAvo

Thanks for that reply Davo - only 'problem' I have is that I have to go to a car wash (where bucket washing isn't permitted) to wash the car, and then I can come home and use a bucket to wash the wheels, so I have to do it in reverse. Damn water restrictions. I very much like that idea of using ultimate compound or something on them though and then wax, excellent. Hoping to have a full weekend to do another full detail prior to Christmas so I will give it a try then! Looking forward to moving shortly (although there will be no lawn) so I can have a little shed and sort out all my detailing gear properly (currently all in a box)

• 5 months later...

I got a extra heavy duty degreaser and all i have to do is spray it on my rims and just wash off and they come brandnew sometimes it misses a few spots like in the spikes i just quikly wipe it off with a rag. but i do it everytime i wash the car.

Heya Tash, Just thought I would let you know that a few months back i purchased an Autoglym wheel polish in a can on special at Repco for like 12 bucks. I havent tried it yet, probably will this week.

Designed to reduce dust and keep shine on wheels. Might be another alternative to waxes/polishes mentioned above.

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/autoglym/alloy_wheel_seal

As i said, i havent tried it yet, but just letting everyone know about another product out there...

Oh, and i was reasonably happy with Mothers FX Wheel Cleaner.. hadnt cleaned the wheels on the beemer for almost a year (its been sittin in the driveway)and it worked wonders, even the barrel of the wheels came up excellent with no scrubbing.. Just remember to wash again with wash/ was n wax after to neutralize the cleaner.

Thanks Pete - I have actually tried out their alloy wheel sealer and had pretty good results with it :) Although there seems to be a sort of marring on the chrome part of my alloys that doesn't seem to polish up, if I clean/polish them they look really bright and clean, but if you look up closely it looks like sort of water run marks in places. I'm not having much success getting the inside of the wheels clean either, I tried Autoglym Alloy Wheel cleaner on Tuesday and they've come up better, but still not great.

On the tyre front though I'm happy to announce that Meg's Endurance Tyre Gel will come in both an aerosol and trigger pack version :D (New 2011 product range) Not out here yet (I imported) but expected to hit the shops in a couple of months, much easier to apply than the gel and I'm impressed with the gloss from one coat, and it reckons you can apply two coats for more. It took quite some time to dry though, so don't expect to be able to spray it on and drive off almost immediately, the product will sling everywhere.

another vote for the tyre gel! awesome stuff. I prefer the bottle actually and apply with a sponge.

True - the trigger pack was actually quite messy and produced a fair bit of over spray, so note to self, apply it first and then go back and clean the wheels with something and a cloth. It works for the lazy side in me though cos hate using and washing the sponge :lol:

One thing i do before i put Megs tyre gel on is air dry the tyres with the compressor to make sure they are really dry,i've noticed when applied to damp or wet tyres it seems to run and leaves it sort of streaky looking after the 1st drive,since i've been drying them it goes on perfect the 1st time and lasts longer and less sling onto the paintwork so it's a win win. :D

I used warm water in a bucket and a sponge to clean mine.

That tyreshine gel seems to work a treat, much longer lasting too. No need to worry about overspray from the 5dollar tyreshine can no more.

Ive just changed to using Megs Hot Shine Tire Foam in the pressure pack.. works very well, easily controlled and minimal overspray. Its not as shiny as the purple gel (which i think has now been change to a clear gel version) but im not so interested in shine, just a nice rich semi gloss/satin black. Much easier to get even coverage in the shallow and embossed designs of the wheels walls without excess fly off. I normally leave it on for 2-5 min then wipe off the excess.

Be sure to wash off any waxes/soaps used to fit the tires before dressing with any product.

I haven't had any browning either using the Tire Foam can..

Dis one:

c72fd141.jpg

I got my hands on some Meguiars Hot Shine tyre spray and was pretty disappointed with the product as a whole. Hot overly shiny (like the gel equivalent) and very messy. I still prefer the Endurance gel that I have.

Also used some Poorboys Wheel Sealant on my new rims and cleaning them is definitely easier, though I still use Meguiars Final Inspection or Mothers Showtime on my wheels to assist with getting a spotless finish on them; Mothers Foaming Wheel Cleaner and Meguiars Hot Rims are good at removing the bulk of brake dust but still leaves a film of dirt/dust on them once you have rinsed them off.

Getting my hands on some Meguiars Quick Wheel Detailer which will stop me from using all my Final Inspection on wheel detailing.

• 3 months later...

I buy elbow grease, soapy water and about 20 mins of time.

I also use auto glym tyre shine for colour. Spray on, let it set in (10mins) wipe off excess.