New Camry/Aurion

Martinj

When visiting my Toyota dealer to check on TRD parts he showed me official pics of 2011/12 model Camry and Aurions. Having not seen these before, I had to look twice to check the Camry had even changed. The Aurion looks kind of worse, like the current US-model Avalon. The dealership didn't have pricing (at least that is what they told me).

I was talking to a new car salesman. The photos were on what appeared to be a draft brochure PDF file. At least the new Aurion should be more distinctive now, but never been a fan of US-styling (remember the first Avalon?!).

Mate, no specs were discussed. I read a recent website article saying new Camry engine increases to 2.5 litres. I reckon Aurion specs would stay the same given most buyers are OAP and wouldn't notice, and also any larger capacity V6 would come too close to Lexus now.

mmmm, i cant see how pictures of the new car that’s still a year away could land in dealers hands? And mules getting about (and they would be) would be disguised to the hilt still! Toyota would be horrified to find dealers throwing around even early drafts of the next model of anything. I can’t see how an entirely new car could still look anything like the current car? Its all new from the ground up, especially the Camry which receives the new 2.5 line 4 engine. Wait six months until mules start appearing in motor and wheels mag then well see what it’s like. O WAIT sorry it's a Toyota it will only see one tiny corner stashed somewhere in the book where nobody reads lol

I was talking to a new car salesman. The photos were on what appeared to be a draft brochure PDF file. At least the new Aurion should be more distinctive now, but never been a fan of US-styling (remember the first Avalon?!).

Think you can call the salesman and ask for the PDF brochure?Then upload it here?

I know the plant will be building the new Camrys mid this year for the Dealers, all i know is that the body has change, i think its still the same Chassis and engine has upgraded to a BIG 2.5ltr.

I know the plant will be building the new Camrys mid this year for the Dealers, all i know is that the body has change, i think its still the same Chassis and engine has upgraded to a BIG 2.5ltr.

wow, i wonder how its a BIG engine.lol...its only about 100cc bigger than the engine in the current camrys. it's not that big is it?

Its all new from the ground up, especially the Camry which receives the new 2.5 line 4 engine.

That's just sad that they are only considering doing that now. Toyota USA have been using the 2.5l 2AR-FE ever since they got their facelift to the Gen 6 about the same time we did.

• 4 weeks later...

The current US version of the 2.5l 2AR-FE Camry ... that we will be getting comes in two "tunes"

Toyota Camry ASV40 (Base & LE), (126 kW; 169 hp)@6000, 226 N·m (167 ft·lbf)@4100

and

Toyota Camry ASV40 (SE), (133 kW; 179 hp)@6000, 232 N·m (171 ft·lbf)@4100

My guess is that if we also get the more powerfull tune here , it will probably go into the Sportivo and possibly the Grande.

Edited by prometheus

The current US version of the 2.5l 2AR-FE Camry ... that we will be getting comes in two "tunes"

Toyota Camry ASV40 (Base & LE), (126 kW; 169 hp)@6000, 226 N·m (167 ft·lbf)@4100

and

My guess is that if we also get the more powerfull tune here , it will probably go into the Sportivo and possibly the Grande.

That's actually not a bad idea, letting the top models possess the more powerful engine. Its like what they did to the last generation's (Gen 5?) Camry, where the Azura(top of the range) apparently had a better exhaust system which helped the engine produce a bit more power than the others.

and

That's actually not a bad idea, letting the top models possess the more powerful engine. Its like what they did to the last generation's (Gen 5?) Camry, where the Azura(top of the range) apparently had a better exhaust system which helped the engine produce a bit more power than the others.

I saw an article sometime ago that had this picture titled "2012 Camry": 2012 Camry

If you look at the doors, they appear to be identical to the current Gen 6 model Camry / Aurion. Toyota have said the 2.5L engine will be produced here in Australia, with the Altona plant securing the contract over Thailand. The engines built at Altona will be used in locally produced Camrys and exported to Thailand for use in Thai built Camrys. Camry is to receive a 6 spd automatic transmission.

The other interesting piece of info suggests that the Aurion will be "toned down" and will become more like the US Avalon. I have also read that there will be minimal changes to the Aurion powertrain (i.e. the 3.5L V6 / 6 spd Auto combination will carryover).

yes Camry will finally receive the "new" 2.5 2AR-FE and the 6 Speed box. Toyota has asked Dealers to report any issues with Aurion’s 2GR-FE power train so these can be looked into for continued development for future models AKA the next Aurion.

We perhaps won't see direct and port injection straight up but they will have to raise power and cut consumption to keep the car competitive in the market.

The other interesting piece of info suggests that the Aurion will be "toned down" and will become more like the US Avalon. I have also read that there will be minimal changes to the Aurion powertrain (i.e. the 3.5L V6 / 6 spd Auto combination will carryover).

I looked up photos of the current American Avalon , uhhhhhh .... not a fan at all. It looks bland, boring and old and looks too much like a Nissan Maxima.

I was told by a "New Car Sales Rep" that the new Camry will be releasing sometime in September this year...

That said, i havent seen anything online that backs up his statement...

The new Camry IS due out in the last quarter of 2011.

It will be interesting how it fares with the 2.5 litre engine and a 6 speed gearbox (if indeed we get that combination) up against the likes of the Mazda 6.

I looked up photos of the current American Avalon , uhhhhhh .... not a fan at all. It looks bland, boring and old and looks too much like a Nissan Maxima.

Looks a bit Gen5 Camry-ish to me. Just bigger, American, and f*cken ugly (those last 2 kinda go hand in hand).

The next Aurion is ages away yet, people can speculate all they like, and sales reps can feed us full of bullsh*t, but I highly doubt anything that anyone outside of TMCA's inner sanctum has been shown is credible. I reckon its pretty unlikely, too, that their marketing guys would drafting brocures this far out. Let alone sending them to dealers!

2011 Camry / 2012 Aurion

New Camry is due out in the second half of this year. The current generation will turn five years old this year (2006-2011), history would tell us the Camry is refreshed every 5-6 years.

As per the article above, Aurion and Hybrid Camry are due out in 2012. This makes sense, particularly in the Aurion's case as the original was launched a few months after the Gen 6 Camry.

Edited by JMacca53

My source tells me plans are underway to launch the new look Camry (smoother, less edgier but still basically the same, especially inside) in the Blue Mountains, NSW in mid-August 2011 with deliveries to start in early September.

My reliable source also says the new Aurion is essentially the current US-model Aurion. It will be released in March 2012.

Any word on whether the new Camry and new Aurion will have manual transmissions?? I doubt the Aurion will given it didn't this generation, but hoping at least the Camry Sportivo might still have it as an option.

Edited by Tash

Judging by the latest trends, manual transmissions are basically becoming extinct, would be nice to see an Aurion in manual, but with today's and upcoming technology, the automatics are just seeming to get better and better and given an educated guess, Toyota will just stop building manual transmissions for family sedans full stop, maybe not even for any of their production line

Tell me about it! No more Ferrari models available with three pedal manuals (okay, i guess, given their involvement in F1). It is good to see a manual comeback campaign in the US, with more of their BMW models available with manual than here in Australia. They even have some Cadillac and Lincoln (!!!!!!!!!!!) models available with manual.

It's pretty depressing but you're both right - I have already resigned myself to the fact that my next car is more than likely going to be an automatic :( At least like you say Zeinheiger with all the improvements that are being made a lot of auto's drive more like a manual these days anyway.

Martinj, how do you know that only 2% of Camry's are manual, do you have access to sales figures?? I am itching to find out how many Gold Camry Sportivos were made, and of those how many were manual.